worn faded brown sg

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by LPman, Jan 22, 2009.

1. LPman

LPman Junior Member

hey guys, just got a new epiphone worn brown sg, and need an answer on something... is there a certain kind of guitar polish i should get for it since it is just that wood finish or does it not matter at all? thanks.

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

If you've still got finish on the guitar (well, most of it), I recommend a polish used for automobiles. It is called Autoglym Radiant Wax Polish. It's made in England and endorsed by the Royal Family. While it's made for cars, it works well for guitars for a few reasons. It has rather powerful chemical cleaners in it, and your SG may end up not as "brown" as you had thought. It leaves a shine that is very resistant to fingerprints, ands lasts a long time. Don't use it on fingerboards, which should be periodically oiled, as this stuff is also a sealer that blocks oil absorption. Oh, yeah, I use it on my cars regularly, too.

3. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Butchers Wax - I am not kidding.
    It's the wax they use on bowling alleys.
    ;)

4. joos

joos Senior Member

i work in a music store that sells that same guitar, and we rarely polish them due to the ultra thin clear coat. when we do we use paste wax. It will give you a luster but nothing you will be able to see your reflection in or anything. If you absolutly have to have a shinny sg, I would try and find a good luthier that can put a good clear coat on it for you.

5. SG Lou

SG Lou Senior Member

ditto !