Work order guesstimate

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Paully, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Hi,
    Thinking of taking my 16 year old Epi Joe Pass in to have the frets leveled, crowned and polished. I'll also have a complete set-up done at the same time.
    The frets have very little wear so I'm thinking that the fret job won't require anything extraordinary.
    As for the set-up I'd like for them to set the relief, action and intonation and spray the pots and switch with contact cleaner.
    I'll provide the new set of strings for the set-up.m
    So what I'm looking for is a SWAG
    (scientific wild ass guess) or ballpark figure on what this is gonna cost me.
    I know that the market I'm in is gonna be the deciding factor, however if I can get some figures from you guys I'll be able to come up with some kind of half assed idea of whether the shop is being honest or trying to take me for all I've got.
    Thanks in advance,

Be excellent to each other ☺

Paully

GEAR:
    Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody
    Squier Stratocaster SE
    Yamaha F335 Dreadnought
    Yamaha Thr 5 Amp
    Tascam DR-05 Digital Recorder
    Dell Latitude Laptop

2. edselman

edselman Senior Member

A couple of hundred dollars at least. I do my own work. I purchased the tools from Stewart MacDonald, purchased Dan Erlewine's book and watched lots of do-it-yourself videos online. A fret level, crown and polish is costly because it is so labor intensive. If you spend the money on good tools and learn to do the job you can do all of your future setups yourself and save big time. Also, most guitars you buy today have not been properly setup and the frets are not level.

3. Paully

Paully Senior Member

Thanks for the response

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

5. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

IMHO, depending on where you live, the general cost of the area and the level of expertise to get the job done, it could be anywhere from $50 to $150-ish. Up to the $200 if the luthier "has made a name for himself."

6. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Paully, what area are you in? That would help a lot. And the guesstimates would be a little more accurate.

7. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

I'd charge maybe $40 for the neck adjustment/setup/cleaning the pots and another $80 to $100 for a "light" fret level and polish. Slightly more if I scraped the board down. But it's hard to know how much work the frets need until you get it on the bench, set the neck to zero relief and go over all the frets with a rocker. Sometimes you find a few high spots and can just take a little off with a crowning file, other times there are too many and you have to use a radius block and re-crown them all. And a lot depends on how low you like your action. It's a lot trickier to get the action down low and have it be stable over changing temps/humidity, string changes and carting around.

But while it's up on the bench you may want to consider upgrading the jack to Switchcraft at least and possibly the switch too. The jack is easy so maybe another $20, perhaps $40 for both. Another good upgrade is a bone nut. Now, I work out of my basement shop as a hobby, so you'll probably want to double those rates if you take it to a full-time luthier in a major metropolitan area. Triple if it's in or around NYC.

8. mgrasso03

mgrasso03 Junior Member

I just had my Masterbilts worked on.
    One had a setup (I supplied the strings), humidification, truss rod adjustment and the frets leveled and ends smoothed for $60.