Wooden Binding?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JoeBguitar, Dec 7, 2017.

1. JoeBguitar

JoeBguitar Senior Member

Has anyone ever bound a neck with natural wood binding and carved away to make vintage style "nibs?"

2. jim w

jim w Senior Member

I won't say it's never been done, but I would have to think the nibs would be gone almost instantly from wear.

Who likes this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Wood is not that delicate. I don't see guitars that don't have binding on the body wearing any more quickly.....nor have I seen the side of unbound fretboards (like every strat or Tele) wearing away 'instantly'.

Freddy G and Skyjerk like this.
  4. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

Well, you could surely do it, but the results may not be too pretty. While I doubt all of them would wear away instantly, I bet you would lose a few pretty quickly. Wood does not have the consistency of plastic binding, having soft and hard areas, and blemishes. Considering that a nib is about 2 X 2 mm and then shaped to be narrow at the top, it would be pretty difficult to even finish all 40+ nibs without knocking the tip off one or more. Playing it might get a few more.

IMHO.

:cheers2:

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Well dammit! That just makes me wanna try one...

6. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

He's talking about the "nibs" (fret-edge-binding {FEB}). I expect they'd be gone so "instantly" that many would not even survive trying to make and dress them.

The Gibson Les Paul All Wood edition did not get FEB, but has wood binding and inlays:
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/The-Les-Paul-All-Wood.aspx

[​IMG]

Steve Howe's "The Les Paul" ( http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/i-bought-steve-howes-the-les-paul.399408/ ) (owned by MLP member @Trogly ) used wood in most places you'd normally find plastic. knobs, pickup covers, etc.

The binding on the body and pickguard are wood. The binding on the neck is not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trogly likes this.
  7. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

i agree that it would be difficult to keep all the nibs in tact even in the building process simply because there is so little mass at the nibs, that the wood grain would break. i've done a lot of stuff with wood, but that ain't something i'd be interested in trying. please post pics if you go that route.

8. charisjapan

charisjapan Silver Supporter

Well, yeah! :yesway::yesway: And I've no doubt it could be done ... especially by you, Freddy. :)

... but still maintain that it would be difficult. If I were going to try it (liking challenges myself), I am pretty sure inexpensive 2mm maple stuff I've seen here would not work. Perhaps using a REALLY nice piece of clean maple, or even a couple of 1mm or three .6mm strips laminated ... so the glue could kind of "shore it up" would work better. :fingersx: This is assuming a cream-ish wood binding. If you were to use another color, Lignum Vitae might work! :p

:cheers2:

9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Ebony

jkes01, dcomiskey and charisjapan like this.
  10. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Do it.
    Doooooo it.

charisjapan and Who like this.
  11. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

I've seen Ben Crowe from crimson guitars use wood as a binding- Elm, I think (they are keen on using less common woods). No nibs though, just binding.

12. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Nibs shmibs. As long as I'm rich :)

cain61 and JMT Guitars like this.
  13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Ickity Ackity Oop! :cool2:

cain61 likes this.
  14. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

I don't like 'em anyway! ;)

15. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

i too have used curly maple binding for necks, but they didn't have nibs. we shot straight clear over it and it took on a gorgeous honey color. it can be quite burdensome if you go to bind a body with curves. haven't successfully done that yet.....and may never.

16. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

I've seen plenty of acoustic guitars with wood body binding. Might be tough to get it around a Les Paul born, but I bet it could be done.

17. the great waldo

the great waldo Senior Member

Some thin superglue would strengthen the wood. Boxwood wood probably be a suitable choice.
    cheers

Andrew

18. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa Member

20150603_175341.jpg IMG_20171202_161322.jpg IMG_20171202_161343.jpg 20150603_175341.jpg IMG_20171202_161322.jpg IMG_20171202_161343.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    cain61 likes this.
  19. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa Member

Ive done wooden binding on necks but without nibs, flamed maple does look awesome.
    You can see from the images above ive also bound some electrics in wood too. Getting around those tight curves is a real pain, and a fair few did break. The flat-top LP i took a step further and added in some purfling.