Wondering If These PAFs Are the Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Tonyd145, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Tonyd145

Tonyd145 Premium Member

IMG_1036.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1039.JPG I have a Tokai Firebird that I bought 3 yrs ago. The previous owner told me he had it routed for humbuckers, it had previously had mini humbuckers. I've been thinking of putting minis back in it. When I bought it the owner told me it had Gibson pickups in it, I really didn't think much of it at the time. They were uncovered when I bought the guitar, I like covered pickups so I bought some chrome covers and put them on. That was the first time I had taken a look at the pickups. To my suprise it looks like they are PAF pickups. I'm not sure if they are real. Thought if I shared a few pics maybe someone here can point out if they are the real deal or not. The solder on them is my feeble attempt to solder the covers on.

2. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

I'm no expert but I believe they're most likely burstbuckers.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Do they smell like hot cheese?

(SERIOUS QUESTION!!)

4. Tonyd145

Tonyd145 Premium Member

I didn't realize they put that sticker on the Burstbuckers. Thanks for the insight.

5. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Yup, I'd bet on Burstbuckers as well. Regardless, that's not a vintage PAF sticker.

Tonyd145 likes this.
  6. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

They could also be 57 Classics which also got a PAF sticker (at least mine have them).

[​IMG]

GammyBird and Tonyd145 like this.
  7. Tonyd145

Tonyd145 Premium Member

Thanks Lefty! The one Gibson Les Paul I previously owned never had the pups out to look at them and see that they still put the PAF sticker on them. I should have known that for the price I got my Firebird it didn't have Vintage PAF's. Plus the previous owner is a guitar nerd like most, so he would have known.

8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

The smell test can tell you if they are buytrate bobbins, which could distinguish 57 classics/Burstbuckers from a boutique wind, as CAB has a unique scent..

9. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

It does not look like a "PAF" pickup. Just a cursory look... it does not show the tooling marks of the original machine that bend the base.

Tonyd145 likes this.
  10. Tonyd145

Tonyd145 Premium Member

:laugh2::lol:
    Sounds like you may have a very unique fetish Kris, never heard of a pup sniffing fetish:laugh2:

DarrellV and Kris Ford like this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrfett, DarrellV and Tonyd145 like this.
  12. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

Hey,Man! Sniff THIS!!! LOL

13. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

I can just imagine guitar owners around the world sniffing their pickups to see if they're real. :laugh2::squint:

Tonyd145 likes this.
  14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I know my old PAT#s STUNK..
    (and yes, I liked that stank!:naughty:)
    Smelled like hot cheese and tarnised metal..the CAB has that ripe odor..

Tonyd145 likes this.
  15. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

You never cease to amaze!

+1:thumb: on yet another hidden talent! AND the airplane reference! :dude:

16. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

The bobbin tops look wrong, they look like ABS plastic to me. PAF decals can look fake sometimes and be real. Unscrew the bobbin mount screws on the slug coil and gently pull it up so you can see the bottom. If there are round injection feeder sprue marks, its not a real PAF.

17. Dave Makowski

Dave Makowski Junior Member

Ya' know there are a lot of guys making wonderful PAF replica's. Lollar, Throw Back, Bare Knuckles, etc... I had the privilege to speak with Ronnie Montrose a few months before he passed away. Ronnie told me he had Seymour Duncan '59's in all of his guitars. That night he was playing a (Gene) Baker B3 with Zebra '59's. Taking Ronnie's advise I purchased a set of Seymour Duncan "Vintage Blues", which are a matched set of '59's. I put them in one of my Gibson SG's and man I was very surprised at just how good they sounded. It just goes to show us that you don't need to spend hundred's of dollars for a good set of PAF's. I bought mine from Amazon for $135.00. That's $67.50 per pickup. Nice! Plus they are hand wound in California (I Believe). So, the SD '59's are my go to PAF's from now on.

18. vortexx

vortexx Senior Member

I've owned a bunch of vintage PAFs and pre T-Tops and I don't think I've ever tried sniffing them. Could it be the plastic releasing gasses or even the purple wire coating?

19. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

FAKE. No insult intended, but you really needed to ask with that VERY amateur soldering job on the bottom. Gibson would never have anyone on their line doing a solder job like that! Looks like a solder job done by a 10 year old Chinese kid in a sweatshop making CrApple iFads. Besides, there is remnants of another huge label (glue residue) on the back, the poles aren't right and neither are the screws. Really good Fakes are very hard to catch, as the attached photo's attest. This is a terrible fake.

Pictures - 2 PAFs, top one is real, bottom one is a fake, a very good, but detectable fake. The screws are wrong and the poles are the wrong diameter, careless solder job another tip-off. Next picture, this is a real PAF, one out of my 100% original 1962 Les Paul Custom "SG Body" style. (see my Ikon).

I've seen real PAF selling for over a Thousand even 20 years ago, there are 50's models on Reverb.com for $10k each. Do you really think someone would put lets say $5k PAF in a Tokai? (Tokai's were made OK, but not $5k per Pup well.) Enjoy the Tokai as-is if it sounds good.

Attached Files:

20. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

REal PAF bobbins are made of butyrate plastic. Butyrate is described as having a "vomit" smell. But vintage bobbins pretty much lose that smell over 60 years.