Wizz Hot Lanta vs OX4 Hot Duane's? TONE

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SlyStrat, Nov 9, 2017.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Like to have your description of them. Thanks.

2. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

I only have the regular Wizz and PG winds, but OX4 Hot Duanes are probably my fave pickup ever. In my R7 it gives me everything I could ever want from a Les Paul.
    I really like Wizz as well but they do sound a bit more ”vintage” to my ears. Hot Duanes are more allround.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I had a used set of regular Wizz and sold them. They might be vintage voiced but not what I want in tone. Just got a used set of OX4 Hot Duanes and finally found what I want. These moan and cry with bent notes and vibrato, and have thicker single note tone.

LpCustom2007 likes this.
  4. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I have a set of OX4 Hot Duanes in one of those 2012 Classics with the baked maple fretboard. They replaced the stock pups - ceramic 498R and 500T. I wasn't chasing the Duane Allman sound, and it isn't a sound I'm familiar with. I was chasing a thick lead tone with vintage voicing.

The number 1 thing I'd say is that really pick up the tone of the guitar they're in. This LP Classic is brighter than a Standard, and chambered too much - and both of those characteristics are the first things anyone notices with the Hot Duanes.

They're dynamic, not overly compressed, with pleasing note separation and articulation. Even with light picking, they're dirty, and they're down right filthy when I dig in. I like the dynamic range they offer. It just feels shifted along a bit from the other pups I have.

To get a thick tone out of these, I think they need to go into an unchambered LP. For comparison, the Custom Buckers in my 60 RI sound thicker than the Hot Duanes in my 2012 Classic.

They're just really honest pickups that need the right guitar to get the best out of them. Find that guitar, and I think they'll be phenomenal.

HTH