Wizz Hot Lanta vs OX4 Hot Duane's? TONE

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SlyStrat, Nov 9, 2017.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Like to have your description of them. Thanks.

2. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

I only have the regular Wizz and PG winds, but OX4 Hot Duanes are probably my fave pickup ever. In my R7 it gives me everything I could ever want from a Les Paul.
    I really like Wizz as well but they do sound a bit more ”vintage” to my ears. Hot Duanes are more allround.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I had a used set of regular Wizz and sold them. They might be vintage voiced but not what I want in tone. Just got a used set of OX4 Hot Duanes and finally found what I want. These moan and cry with bent notes and vibrato, and have thicker single note tone.

shupe13, Brutus, Jer and 1 other person like this.
  4. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I have a set of OX4 Hot Duanes in one of those 2012 Classics with the baked maple fretboard. They replaced the stock pups - ceramic 498R and 500T. I wasn't chasing the Duane Allman sound, and it isn't a sound I'm familiar with. I was chasing a thick lead tone with vintage voicing.

The number 1 thing I'd say is that really pick up the tone of the guitar they're in. This LP Classic is brighter than a Standard, and chambered too much - and both of those characteristics are the first things anyone notices with the Hot Duanes.

They're dynamic, not overly compressed, with pleasing note separation and articulation. Even with light picking, they're dirty, and they're down right filthy when I dig in. I like the dynamic range they offer. It just feels shifted along a bit from the other pups I have.

To get a thick tone out of these, I think they need to go into an unchambered LP. For comparison, the Custom Buckers in my 60 RI sound thicker than the Hot Duanes in my 2012 Classic.

They're just really honest pickups that need the right guitar to get the best out of them. Find that guitar, and I think they'll be phenomenal.

HTH

shupe13 likes this.
  5. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I recently bought a couple sets of OX4, Hot Duanes (A5's) and medium wind (A4's). For now I've split the sets into two 2017 Les Paul Classic's. Using the medium wind pups in the neck and the HD's in the bridge. With a Weehbo JCM Drive LTD on "Plexi" into a Marshall 1974X my tone is fat, honky, dirty, and "horny". "Horny" like Duane's low notes in concert clips. Sounds kinda like a horn or saxophone. I'm not trying to copy anyones tone exactly. I'm just playing and developing "my" tone, the tone I prefer to hear. It happens to be a cross between Duane and Dickey. But dirtier. I probably won't even try the Wizz.

Brutus and LpCustom2007 like this.
  6. LpCustom2007

LpCustom2007 Senior Member

Thats a great suggestion which I thought about doing myself, but havent gotten around doing yet.

7. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Can anybody describe how the Fillmore's sound compared to the Hot Duane's or the Hot Lanta's?

8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

rclausen likes this.
  9. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Loving all things Duane I've tried quite a few Duane-inspired pickups over the years. My least favorites are the Wagners. While they may be perfectly EQ'd, they do not, to my ear, sound like PAFs in the least. I am also not a fan of the Gibson ones that came stock in either of the Duane Allman Sig models. They are just like all the other Gibson 'off-the-shelf' 'luck-of-the-draw' pups. When the Ox4 Hot Duanes came out, I thought they sounded really nice and I kept those in for quite a while. The problem with them is that they are kind of a cross between the Fillmores and 'Lantas and didn't nail either one perfectly since, to my ear, they are not as vintage sounding as they could be... which Duane's certainly were. Those were replaced by a set of OTPGs, which were not Duane-inspired, but just seemed to nail the Fillmore sound perfectly regardless. They were low wound, which was more in line with '57 PAFs than '59s... which makes sense since the Fillmore/Layla pups were originally in a '57 goldtop.

When I was consulted on the Wizz winds I had a chance to put in my dos centavos and after some back & forth with Alex I finally got a set of prototypes to check out (and A/B with the others). IMHO, the results are perfect. The Fillmore set nails the '57 vibe (spec-wise, sound-wise, functionally and aesthetically). I only tried them with the covers on, since I've never seen a picture of Duane playing either of his bursts with the covers off (although I may pop them off if I ever put them in a goldtop). So, for me, these are the ideal Fillmore set. After the same back & forth, the 'Lanta prototypes went in, and, again they nailed it. Originally they came with A5 mags, but Alex recently sent me an A2 to try in the neck to see if that sounds even better. I'll be popping that in some time this week (maybe even later today if I get the chance) so I'll be able to better comment on that once I do. I really think they nail the 'Lanta tone perfectly (which is quite distinct from the Fillmore one) as is, but we'll see what the magnet swap yields.

I still have the Ox4 Hot Duane's installed because they really are a fine set of pickups. But to my ear, Duane-wise, the Wizzes take home the trophy. Its important to note that all PAFs sound pretty unique and different winders are modeling their individual builds on different sets of PAFs. The Wizz winds and the Ox4 are based on different sets of PAFs, neither is more correct or accurate. The Wagners are not based on PAFs at all really, just a modern engineering of a specific EQ. I prefer the PAFs the Wizzes are based on, but that is only my preference... both are authentic in every way and it really does come down to personal preference of which EQ nails it for you. They really do have to be matched to your own rig and playing style before deciding which can be considered to be the 'best'.