Without Pickguards from Factory

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Fuzznutz, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Fuzznutz

Fuzznutz Senior Member

Probably an easy question for you experienced "R" aficionados... I just couldn't find the exact answer using search.

I noticed some "R"s come from the factory and sell without a pickgaurd installed (the one with the gold sticker/label) nor pilot holes for the install of a pickgaurd, which I'm sure is among the case candy. Is there a specific reason? Or, do they all come without a pickgaurd and the dealer or vendor installs them?

And, am I right in understanding that historics don't come with actual PIO Bees... they are Mylar reproductions?

Thanks all. Still looking for "that" perfect 2013 R9 (my military retirement gift to myself :naughty:). I've asked Curt to help and he's been updating me on new arrivals pretty regularly. When I see it, I'll know it.

2. marcarco

marcarco Senior Member

In my experience, consistency on the pickguard holes is hit and miss. Some have guards, some don't. That's about as good as it gets. As far as the caps, to my knowledge they aren't really PIO's they are some form of reproduction. That is not to say the reproductions aren't up to par though. It depends on what is in there.

3. sharky007

sharky007 Senior Member

I think it depends on the top... If it's a reallly nice grain then I think they leave it off to show the wood?

4. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

My R9 siberian tiger finish did not have the pick guard installed from the factory, it was in the case. I think the whole point of that paint scheme is to show off the wood top hence they give the customer the option. It has remained off and in the bag/case it came in ever since. All my other CC's and historics came with a pickguard pre installed from the factory.

Yeah the 'bb' caps are not true PIO but they seem to sound ok to me so I'll stick with them.

5. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

Yes, the intention from the factory is to leave the top uncovered when they feel its a nice top....but it is inconsistent as I've seen plenty of Historics leave the factory with the guard on and the top was stellar. I have one of each. One came with the guard on and one off...and I'm keeping it that way:

Arrived undrilled with guard in the case:
    [​IMG]

Came with guard installed:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. lkft

lkft Senior Member

I know for a fact that some of the bigger dealers (Wildwood) get Historics made to their specs and those specs call for the pg to be uninstalled, no holes drilled. Usually there are also custom finishes and pickups as well so my opinion is that these guitars that are out there like this are dealer specs. If it is not specified the factory ships guitars by default w/pg installed.

7. what-a-cool-username

what-a-cool-username Senior Member

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

8. BigSwifty

BigSwifty Member

I worked for a Gibson dealer not long ago, and we actually inquired about this. The Custom Shop guys told us that in many cases, it is left up to the builders. It is less common to see pickguards on limited editions and small runs than it is to see them on your typical Rs, but even with "normal" production models, some builders won't install them, but will include them for installation if a buyer so chooses. We had a beautifully figured R9 with a finish that was a BOTB finish (25 made), and it didn't have the 'guard on it, but another one almost identical did. Typical Gibson consistency, I suppose.

9. tspoon5150

tspoon5150 Senior Member

On some of the better tops, Gibson will leave it up to the new owner.

Here is some shots of my new 2013 Lemon. I like it with out
    the pick guard. Do not wish to hide the flame.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. Fuzznutz

Fuzznutz Senior Member

Thanks guys. Comments about not hiding the top make sense.

Tspoon - Holy hell, what a beautiful top! :shock::shock::shock:

My search continues. Just can't seem to find a VOS Ice Tea or Honeyburst with a top similar to yours . My location really limits me so I have a bug in the ear of some of the better know vendors to forum members. Unfortunately, you all snatch up the good stuff before I can put something on hold something :naughty:. But, (shameless pitch coming) if any of you are so inclined, shoot me a PM if you see a 2013 R9 VOS Ice Tea or Honeyburst with a sweet top. Would be very much appreciated.