Wiring...What do you like better?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by irocdave12, Sep 21, 2017.

Which harness style

1. Modern wiring with treble bleed mod

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Good ol 50's style wiring

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Which would you prefer and why? Would modern wiring with a treble bleed mod offer most of the benefits of 50's wiring while still keeping the things people like about modern? I've never fully understood the finer points between the two. I just know most say ...go to 50's style it's better:hmm:

2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

I prefer modern in 2 pickup guitars and 50s in my juniors. What I didn't like about 50s wiring was the volume drop when the tone was turned down. For some reason this didn't happen with PGK jr or at least is minimal. (?). So, I use both just in different applications.

3. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Agreed. Modern wiring for me too. I use the tone control a lot, especially on the bridge pickup and just could not deal with the way the tone control affects the volume when using 50s wiring. The key to a treble bleed circuit is figuring out the right cap and resistor value that best matches your pickups and pots. Once you've got that figured out a treble bleed circuit works really well for keeping highs as you roll off the volume.

4. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I'd probably say '50s- with that, I only have one guitar wired that way, so it's still kinda new to me, but I like it better