Wiring plate

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mangus, Oct 2, 2017.

1. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Hi there,
    I've reached the point in which the guitar has been painted and now I have to start working on the electronics, intonation and string height..
    I've noticed that most of the guitars I see online have their pots and wiring mounted on a plate that comes out of the guitar when changes have to take place. My question is whether or not that plate is required, important or worth installing, and if so, what is it made of(I ask this as I've seen them in different materials, from metal to something that looks like cork)?

Here is an example of what I'm referring to:
    [​IMG]

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Its not required at all. Far as I know its just for grounding, which you can do by soldering ground wires to the pots. In point of fact I think most guitars do not have that plate.

fumblefinger and KnightroExpress like this.
  3. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I'm going to use the KWIKPLug system from guitarfetish so I won't be soldering anything, I'm considering adding shielding paint.. or copper tape. Not sure. Any thoughts on the topic?

4. Skyjerk

I use copper shielding in my builds. I'm lead to believe it is a better conductor than the paint and therefore provides better shielding, and it appears to be cheaper as well although I have not actually crunched any numbers on the cost of one vs the other.

5. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I bought some from the same website as the rest of the electronics but I'm afraid to install it as I don't know one thing, how do you cover the channels?

6. Skyjerk

By channels you mean the wiring channels between the toggle, pickups, and the control cavity?

If so, for an LP-style build like my 22 special or a straight-up Les Paul I would use shielded wire. Generally you wouldn't try and get shielding into the channel itself.

7. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

bear in mind i'm not very experienced in this at all, but what i've seem to gather over the years of reading, is humbucker installations need not have shielded cavities, so much as single pole applications. don't know that it wouldn't help humbucker installations, but my understanding is that single coil applications use it to help screen out interferance that humbuckers don't seem to have a problem with. frankly, what i find attractive to the plates in lp style builds, is the ease of wiring it completely outside the unit, then dropping it in. i use a piece of 1/4" plywood as a wiring jig that allows me to do that, then remove, the jig and drop the wiring in place. i might try the metal plates.

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yes. That's why they were invented and called "HUMbuckers"

Couple of things. No, you don't need to shield the wiring channels. Use shielded wire.
    I don't like the practice of using a plate for grounding where the ground is a mechanical connection of the pot to the plate. It can get loose, corrode, fail etc. I trust a soldered connection. Same thing with strats or any other guitar that uses a plate or foil for grounding. All it is, is a cost saving measure when assembling the guitar.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  9. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I bought the wiring pre-prepared(no soldering needed) from guitarfetish. It's a plug and play system they sell. My question was really just about the necessity of shielding and whether or not I should make a plate for the pots

10. mangus

mangus Senior Member

so I just join that ground cable to the wire that comes from the bridge and that's it? Can it be that simple??

11. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

I find it a bit odd that Guitar Fetish uses 500k volumes, and 250k tone pots.:hmm:

12. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I was wondering about that myself and am curious to find out but now I have a problem.. Being the disorganized mess I am I can't find the hose thingy... can I buy a replacement at an hardware store? what do you call something like that?

13. fatdaddypreacher

and if you ever need one for a wiring harness or insulation, those hose thingies can be had at most anyplace that sells wiring for various reasons. typically it is called heat shrink and once it's put on, you can apply gentle heat with a soldering iron, or heat gun. it then shrinks to conform to the wiring/connection and serves as an insulator.

14. mangus

mangus Senior Member

I meant to connect the ground from the bridge to the ground wire that comes from the harness

15. mangus

mangus Senior Member

can i use a junction box?

fatdaddypreacher likes this.
  16. fatdaddypreacher

yes sir, mr mangus. whatever flips your switch. it's your build. :)

17. mangus

mangus Senior Member

regarding the wire that comes from the bridge(ground I imagine) should i choose something specific or will anything do? SHould I try to solder the wire to the post?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  18. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Something else... Ground to the bridge or to the stoptail?

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

That wire is typically soldered to the casing of the neck volume pot just like in your first pic. Then you need to run a ground wire from there to the other three pot casings.

20. mangus

mangus Senior Member

looking at this diagram I think the ground cable fits your description[​IMG]
    In this case I think I just have to ground the bridge(or stoptail) and use the junction box to connect that ground wire to the one that leaves the volume pot. Or am I reading this wrong?

By the way, I've noticed some guitars have what seems to be really thick wires connecting the bridge to the pot while others have normal wire.. DOes it make a difference?
    I was thinking of using this(as it's what I have around)
    [​IMG]
    Will it do?