Wiring Library

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ashbass, May 30, 2007.

1. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

This Custom has 2 pickups and a coil tap switch. I am taking it to my Tech this Saturday, getting him to remove the tap switch, repair the hole etc.... and wire the pickups with the proper Modern wiring scheme. Thx tho.

2. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Ok got ya. That is some really strange wiring, I have never seen anything like it. Looks like switch leads and pickup leads are on the same lug on the volume pots.

Hope that conversion works out good for you.

3. Unsung Heroes

Unsung Heroes MLP Vendor

Don't worry, sorted it [​IMG]

(ADMIN = delete if you like [​IMG])

4. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

That looks completely wrong. It's not modern or 50s style. That's "it's friday, I'm new here, and I want to go have a beer, f**k this soldering job." style wiring.

To be more clear, in modern or 50s wiring, one outside lug goes to ground, the pickup goes to the other outside lug, and the output to the jack / switch goes on the middle lug. On modern wiring the cap connects to the outside lug that the pickup is connected to. On 50s style it's moved to the middle lug where the output to the switch / jack is.

5. QReuCk

QReuCk Senior Member

My guess is volumes are wired as simple variable bypasses to ground (which actually works pretty well with the proper pot values on guitars with no tone pots - volume roll off then reduces both volume and high end frequencies) and tone pots are wired so that it does both a trebble bleed function and a tone pot function (resistance in the tone circuit is upper part of volume pot + lower part of tone pot).
    Although not common and to my knowledge not stock in any guitar, I kinda see the logic. The symptomes you describe are kinda explainable though: the relative importance of the tone pot position reduces when you roll off the volume pot as the upper part of it enters the equation.
    I wouldn't try this before simulating it though and fine tuning the components values as there is very little chance the ideal ones for this wiring would be the same as for a more usual wiring.
    If you don't want to go through the hassle of fine tuning component values (and this includes pots), I would rewire 50's or modern.

6. peterhbyrne

peterhbyrne Junior Member

Anyone have an idea of how to wire a bass with 2 pickups (3 wires from each pickup) a 3 way toggle and a 1 vol. pot and 1 tone pot? can't find anything on the web. much thanks for any guidance

7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

So I completely rewired my new to me 2003 Les Paul Classic today. When I got it I was hearing alot of buzzing when not touching anything metal on the guitar. I know all electrics will buzz some especially when using gain.
    But unlike all of my other Les Pauls when i touch anything metal on the guitar I hear an audible pop, or crack sound, and the buzz goes away. for instance if i sit there tapping my finger on the tailpiece post, it pops and then goes quiet.
    I have checked and triple checked all of my connections, and even metered them for continuity to ensure I am getting a solid connection. but still very noisy when I don't have my hands on the guitar. volume up mind you.
    I rewired it following the modern style siring diagram found on the first page of this thread. and also comparing to my 2000 LP Standard which is quite as a mouse.
    I am at a loss for what the hell could be causing this. any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need pics, I won't be able to post them until tomorrow.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

Sounds like a faulty ground connection to the bridge.

9. Pwrmac7600

That's what I thought to but I tested the connection to the tailpiece and it was good. Does the ground go to the bridge or the tailpiece? I always thought it went to the tailpiece?

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

Yes, tail piece.
    Can't see what else then.

11. Pwrmac7600

This weekend when I have more time I am going to tear into its a little more and see if I can't figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  12. jonesy

Excessive buzz may be caused by partial short maybe a pickup lead is slightly melted or something is bent and touching a pot lug or cap lead inside the control cavity.

13. Pwrmac7600

I did check for all of that, but I will recheck everything this weekend. Like I said I completely retired the entire guitar from the ground up to eliminate any possibilities.

14. jonesy

Well something is wrong otherwise it would be quiet without any humm. :)

Maybe you over heated a pot or some solder dripped down one of the lugs and that is causing the buzz. Hard to say without seeing any pics.

15. Pwrmac7600

Truthfully when I was installing my speed knobs, one of the posts pushed in on one of the tone pots. So I removed it from the harness leaving it wired up and had to squeeze the tabs back down that clamp the pot assembly together, it is possible that something in the pot could be lined up incorrectly that would cause a hum? Because the noise was there before I touched any wiring. But unfortunately I don't know if it was there prior to have to reclamp the pot together because I replaced the knobs, restrung with 10's, and did a full setup prior to actually plugging it in for the first time.

16. jonesy

Yep that could be the problem.

Always a good idea to hold the back of the pots when pressing on knobs that fit a little tight.

17. Pwrmac7600

Yeah I did but the tabs were really weak. So maybe a pot replacement is in order. Because I don't know that trying to realign the pot correctly is worth it with how weak the tabs are. Shame too because they are CTS 500k pots.

So I went ahead and ordered a new set of CTS 550K pots. We shall see what happens.

18. Pwrmac7600

So replaced all 4 pots last night, still the same problem. I have metered everything in the guitar itself, and all connections are good, all grounding is good, so I am convinced now it is something in my system. I may have to tear it all down and rewire the entire setup to find the problem. The system itself is quite, its just my guitars that are humming. So It may be the circuit i have my amps plugged into. I may have something else plugged into the same circuit that is causing the problem.

19. Rod Neep

Rod Neep Member

On my brand new LP a couple of days ago I encountered the same consistent buzz, plus a little pop when I touched anything metal on the guitar. The buzz went away if I held anything metal on the guitar.

My first action was to read everything on these threads in the forum and elsewhere, and came to the conclusion that there were so many conflicting views of what could be causing the buzz. There were no definitive positive answers anywhere. Just conjecture, theories and experimentation with rewiring, replacement of parts, shielding, etc.

So without changing anything on the guitar I started doing some of my own experiments with different amps, different mains circuit in the house (I have two), and experiments in different rooms, and so on. Other guitars with the same setup didn't buzz, but my new LP Standard did.

The breakthrough for me came when I used a Roland Cube on battery power. In other words, nothing was plugged into the mains, and there was therefore no mains ground. There was no buzzing!

So then I started to think outside the box. If there was no buzz when the mains and mains ground wasn't connected I wondered if I could get the same result by using a wireless setup, to isolate the guitar and me. Today I took delivery of an AKG WMS 40 wireless instrument set.

Plugged everything in.
    No buzzing whatsoever! No matter which amp I use.
    100% success.

The bottom line is that it was a pretty cheap fix! It has saved a lot of heachache and hassle.

Rod

20. DrBGood

DrBGood Senior Member

Sounds like you didn't solve the problem with the Standard, just bypassed it.