Wiring Library

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ashbass, May 30, 2007.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

You can mod this diagram and use what you need, many other wiring set-ups at seymourduncan.com/wiring

[​IMG]

Hope that helps you out bro?

peace, jonesy

2. ODD1991

ODD1991 Senior Member

i am going to create a new circuit for my 2 pickup, 1 tone, 1 volume, 3 way switch les paul. i have a vitamin q 0.015 on the way.

what is the best setup e.g. vintage ect. (diagrams will be amazing help)

what wire is the best to use?

do i use the same wire connecting all componenents?

what are the best quality pots e.g. cts ect.?

what is meant by linear pots?

here is my current setup drawn by me :)

[​IMG]

i wanna create a great sounding circuit and be proud.

3. sidepartings26

sidepartings26 Senior Member

I think I will rewire like this. Can anyone tell me... there is a wire connecting all pots in this photo. Do I need to do this for proper grounding or is is optional?
    [​IMG]

4. sidepartings26

Also can I confirm a few things because I think I am going paranoid and the switch and jack are never shown on wiring diagrams:

Is this the ground and hot respectively on a jack?
    [​IMG]

And is this the way the switch is wired? I am sure the black or 'hot' goes on the side on it's own. The two prongs are bent together with a blob of solder in the middle to hold them and then the hot wire is soldered on. My biggest question is does it make a difference where the hot is soldered onto this side. Does it need to be onto a blob of solder in the middle or to either side because they are connected anyway I'm guessing?
    [​IMG]

Thanks this thread is good!

5. jonesy

Input jack looks correct as shown.

As far as switch goes the two in the middle bent together are the hot lead that goes your hot lead on input jack.

The lugs to either side go to the center lug on each volume pot and are from each pickup.

The ground on other side of switch goes to back of volume pot and grounds to the ground wire that loops all your pots together.

If solder has gotten down into where switch lugs mount to switch base it can create a short causing problems.

Hope that helps??

6. sidepartings26

Maybe I'm getting confused then. My switches have 2 prongs on one side, 3 on the other, switchcraft as came with guitar. On that picture as I have been doing the 2 prongs on the one side (black cable in the picture) is the hot. On the side with 3 prongs the centre is earth (green) and on each side is to respective volume pots?

I was going to send a braided ground all the way from the jack to the switch. Are you saying that I need to solder it to the top of bridge volume pot and then send a wire from pot to pot round to the neck volume where the metal bar from the tailpiece comes in?

Really appreciating the help. PS I remember the King James and I'm not talking about Lebron!

7. jonesy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe this will help out, look at the switch in the second drawing...

8. sidepartings26

Yeh that look like it. Sticking the hot round the back.

Could I use braided wire instead of solid wire to connect pot to pot?

Also I would use two seperate braided wires from the jack instead of one grounded by braiding.

The second diagram doesn't show the input from jack being earthed to a pot so I guess I don't have to do that?

Also can I just solder everything straight to the switch instead of the pre switch gismo?

Otherwise the second diagram looks like a good plan!

How does this sound for a plan?

9. jonesy

Sounds like a plan to me. Just one thing though, the ground from input jack is grounded to the back of the pots because it is tied to braided ground from back of each pot.

There is a ground junction right before switch, kinda hard to tell from diagram but it is there.

Good Luck bro!

10. sidepartings26

Thanks man. Not sure what you mean about it being tied. Do you mean like a few pictures up where all the braided wire appears to be tied upon leaving the cavity and heading up towards the pickups/switch. Or would I just solder it to one pot?

11. jonesy

I should have used the word "soldered" I meant tied as in connected electronically not zip tied out of the way, sorry for any confusion.

You see you need that universal ground loop to pots, switch, and input for the ground/circuit to work correctly. :)

12. sidepartings26

So if I do this will it work? (ignore wire to pickups)

[​IMG]

I.e. same as original picture but ignoring hot and ground encased in blue and doing what I have drawn.

I will also use braided wire instead of solid metal to link the pots (ok?)

Jonesy you have the patience of a saint!

13. jonesy

:) Hmm, Maybe?. Do you have your pickup hot lead to center lug on volume and it should be on outside lug? The switch wire should go to then center lug on each volume pot? Maybe it is that way hard to see??

I run ground from input jack to bridge tone pot (like you have shown)and ground from switch to bridge volume, and then a ground loop to all 4 pots as shown. Then hot lead from switch goes to input jack and there will be a hot wire from switch going to center lug of each volume pot.

Sorry If I am not seeing things correctly in your pic, but am telling you how I wire my LP, looks like you just about got it bor ;)

14. jonesy

You may want to re-read last post as I did some editing on it after I posted it ;)

15. sidepartings26

I am a total pain, sorry! :slap:

16. jonesy

It's Ok bro, I think you got it now, the grounding is slightly different but as loop is a loop.

I run the ground wire from switch to back of volume pot, but you should be ok how you have it.

If other leads from pickups and switch are correct go ahead and give it another try and see if it flys :D

17. Drudeboy

Drudeboy V.I.P. Member

Does anyone have a diagram for master vol/master tone (50's style) with the other 2 pots individual pu vols. The diagram for this of the first page of this thread is rather unclear.

Thanks

18. jonesy

You will probably wont find another wiring diagram for that set-up :hmm:
    What don't you understand???

[​IMG]

19. sidepartings26

I'm kicking myself for asking this because everyone reading these must be thinking what a thicko!

But I still don't get the grounding of the ground wire from the jack to the switch. Isn't just sending it to the switch enough? (grounding to a pot on the way) I don't understand if you are saying i need to send it all the way to the switch, solder it on, and then send another ground wire from the same prong on the switch back to a pot? Is just sending it up there not enough?

sorry:rolleyes:

20. jonesy

No apologies needed, but if you would have called me on my cell phone like I offered, you would have saved us both a lot of time, and everyone her would not be reading our "Thicko-Posts" :laugh2: etc. :naughty: that was a joke son :D

You are over thinking this wiring stuff a little bit, just wire it like we discussed earlier, you should be fine. What I think I was trying to say is, I run my ground from switch to bridge volume pot, then the ground wire carries it to the bridge tone, then it goes to the input jack.
    You show wire from switch going to bridge tone pot then input jack. It will work either way.