Wiring Library

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ashbass, May 30, 2007.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

No diagram for the two cap circuit, here is link to American Standard Strat Wiring...look at the little U jumper on middle right side of switch.
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0107400_02C/SD0107400_02CPg2.pdf

You would leave the one cap right where it is, cut the jumper between tone pots and wire the cap on lower tone pot from center lug back to case and I think that should do it? On my 2003 American Strat I have the delta-tone circuit so it has jumper on switch, but I only have just the one cap. I replaced my stock cap with a Sprague HYREL PIO .022 and I like what that does for my Tone on all my pickups.

2. jonesy

3. Nils

Nils Senior Member

*deleted*

4. aphid

aphid Junior Member

Hey Jonsey! That's very neat indeed... want to see my efforts at the JP wiring?

[​IMG]

What a mess!!! Strangely though it works :dude:

I say it works.... all the push/pulls etc work perfectly, but the tone controls don't function at all. Which raises the question, what caps should I be using? I'm not sure I understand what difference the 100v vs 400v makes?

This was all done using a stripped out length of network cable, a soldering iron with a tip as thick as your little finger and some orange drops that were lying around one of the labs at work! It was an 'experiment', but I'm so taken by the set up that I've got hold of a decent iron and I'm going to have another go - your beutifully neat harness has spured me into action!

5. jonesy

Hey at least you tried Bro, make the next one a little neater, that's how we learn. Voltage is not really an issue 100v-600v caps on guitars are common.
    Take the bottom lead of your caps and wire them to the center lug of tone pot, not outside lug and they might work :)

peace, jonesy

6. aphid

aphid Junior Member

For sure - I'll post the results and you can judge if it was worth the investment in a new iron.

One other thing that I'm not sure is normal... if I pull the neck tone it puts the bridge and neck pickups in series, as expected. This works in conjunction with the single coil push pulls no problems. However, the pickup selector does strange things - on neck or middle you get both pickups in series, but on the bridge selector you get a massive drop in volume.

Clearly there is a small problem, but it does not currently stop me getting the in-series tone (which is a personal favorite), just that I have to be careful not to engage it while the pickup selector is in the treble position.

What I would expect when you pull the series switch is that it would either only work in the middle selector position or that it would work in all three selector positions. The reasoning being that the whole point of in-series is to use both pickups - Doh!

Without knowing what the correct response it's difficult to test. Any hints?

7. jonesy

Series mod was only meant to work with switch in middle position is all, you probably go it right?

8. jonesy77777

jonesy77777 Senior Member

Hey Jonesy,

This pic is perfect, but how is the wiring if you don't have braided wire coming from the switch?

9. jonesy

Hey bro, well that is more of and old school set-up for sure, here is a more modern way of running it a 3 way toggle switch with a pair of humbuckers,. Just ignore all the other mods and look how wires from switch go back to the volume pots, in put jack etc. there is separate wire for ground...
    [​IMG]

10. KP

KP Senior Member

So, Jonesy... how does that work when the switch has all the lugs on the same side? Which lugs need to be jumped for that? Thanks.....

11. jonesy

Call me, 1-574-806-4118 :naughty:

12. MVendi81

MVendi81 Junior Member

Hey everybody,

I decided to attempt the coil tap & reverse phase wiring using the diagram from Guitarelectronics.com as a rough guide, except I wanted to have master volumes in the middle position, as well as be able to use the 50's-style wiring. I wondered if this was all possible while using DPDT push/pull pots, so...after some thought and consideration for some of the information I've learned here on this great forum I gave it a go...

I just finished the project and am proud to say it is a success! I also wanted to post my own diagram in case any of you wanted to try it...it's a great mod and of course gives you full use of your volume and tone controls. Just remember...you have to have at least 3-conductor wiring from your pickups to do this mod.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

13. collar

collar Junior Member

I just finished the project and am proud to say it is a success! I also wanted to post my own diagram in case any of you wanted to try it...it's a great mod and of course gives you full use of your volume and tone controls. Just remember...you have to have at least 3-conductor wiring from your pickups to do this mod.

How do you like the sound?, I'm new to the forum and love what everybody is doing.. I just started rewiring my 79 custom and am putting Dimarzio Evolutions in. I'm thinking about splitting the coils, but not sure how the sound will be. Any input would be welcome!

14. MVendi81

MVendi81 Junior Member

I love the sound(s)! This gives me a ton of tonal options, which is great. The coil tapping ability on these pickups is simply awesome, but then again these Fralin Unbuckers have a reputation for having the best in tapped sounds. I'm not exactly sure how well those Evo's will tap since I'm unfamiliar with them...maybe someone else here as done this and can give more input?

Anyways, it's a fairly easy mod if you're handy with the soldering iron; try it out and let us know what you think!

15. bucki

bucki Junior Member

Hi all -- I'm brand new to this forum. You guys are great -- and I've learned a lot just by reading through your posts. Thanks alot!

Hey, one question as I'm looking through the various wiring diagrams. On Seymour Duncan's diagram below, they are using a black wire to connect the volume pots to the tone pots. What is the effect of this? It seems like a better way to make this connection is in the 50's style wiring diagram provided earlier in this thread -- that it, by using the capacitor to make this connection. But I'm wondering what difference it makes on the effectiveness of the tone control, if any...

If anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be much appreciated, as I am just now starting to prepare for a re-wire project and this one has me baffled!! Thanks a tone for the great forum guys -- really nice!!

[​IMG]

Ugh - apparently the image did not load -- sorry about that!!

Here is the link -- or you can refer to Jonsey's diagrams above...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

16. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

I converted my 91 LP Std to 50s wiring a few weeks back and used 0.015uF orange drops for the caps. Problem is I think the tone controls now do nothing. The effect was always very subtle compared to the old bright -> mud wiring, but now I'm beginning to think I've been only imagining the differences between 1 and 10 on either pot. Is there any possibility that one bad solder joint could take both tone controls out of circuit on a 50's wiring? Or are 0.015 caps just too subtle to be useful in some LPs?

17. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

Update: based on a lot of other stuff I've now read on this forum, I'm beginning to think that 0.015uF caps dont work all that well in a LP Std with stock 300k vol pots. Now I'm thinking about going to 500k...

18. jonesy

Right now I have a Real .015 Bumble Bee PIO Tone Cap in My Tele with 250K CTS Pots and the Tone Control works perfectly with .015. Rolls off fine and even with the .015 lot's of color. :)

19. Thomas Ochoa

Thomas Ochoa Junior Member

You should check out the full on 22-Dual Master Setup with Serial Broadbucker setting. Pulling the bridge volume combines both buckers in serial and center switch is parallel. The bridge tone pulls a coil only if you pull the neck tone too but sounds good with in broadbucker mode too. the neck volume does dual sound for neck pup and when you have the neck coil tapped, it chooses the slugs or screws. I not sure which but the diagram is around here somewhere or you can find it and variations by searching for 22-Dual on google or something.

Tommy

20. notjustdrew

notjustdrew Senior Member

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

I'm currently upgrading the wiring in my LP.
    I have a p90 in the neck and a hottish- PAF style pup in the bridge.

I've tried the 50s style wiring in a tele and its great, so definitely want to use this.
    But I am now thinking of using a coil split or series parallel push-pull on the bridge pickup. (still havn't decided which- do want the hum-cancelling, dont want the increased drop- but the p90 hums so probably will go for straight coil-split)

I can probably bungle through this on my own with a couple of diagrams but would be really useful if anyone could point me in the direction of a single schematic with either setup!

Cheers,

Drew