Wiring Library

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ashbass, May 30, 2007.

1. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Here is my version of the Jimmy Page Zoso Wiring, 21 Tone Combinations. This is the Longshaft version for Les Paul Customs...
    [​IMG]
    It Has 4 Push-Pull Pots...
    [​IMG]

2. Frit

Frit Junior Member

Thanks for the above schematic. Unfortunately, I have it and have tried it, and it's not working for this particular guitar. I'm still looking for a 3-pup schematic that shows everything, including the switch. I have all of the ones previously mentioned....
    sigh.

3. jonesy

Not sure what brand pickups you have in that Bird, but check out this color code chart. I have built and shipped over 50 of these JP/Zoso rigs all around the world using this schematic and color code chart and they have all worked in a wide variety of guitars. Double check your wiring...
    [​IMG]

LIBERTYMACHINE likes this.
  4. Peaceman

Peaceman Senior Member

This thread is fantastic guys, thanks to all of you who have contributed.

One question from me is this, Is there any difference in tone etc with or without the ground/earth plate that some LP's have?

5. wolfy317

wolfy317 Junior Member

Hey all, I'm new here, and I'm upgrading my stock pups in my Epi black beauty to passive EMG, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows whether the wire colors will match or not, last time I put EMG's in a guitar, the colors didn't match. Thanks for any input. I'm only putting neck and bridge pups in btw. Should I just disconnect the stock middle pup, and rewire accordingly?, or should get a third emg for the middle? THanks guys!

6. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Is the Black Rose site still up?????

Does anyone know if that Modern wiring with independent volumes is correct? Ever since I went to independent volumes, my treble bleed circuit does not seem to do its job as well.

Finally, any way possible for me to test a pot when it is in the cavity to see if it is 500k?

THANKS!

7. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Anymore I am thinking it is best to stick with standard LP wiring rather than mess with the core tone. Too many people report weird overtones and atreble sheen when using a treble bleed cap and some people report odd tonal changes when using independent volumes. I may go back to totally stock wiring configuration.

8. getkey

getkey Junior Member

Hi guys!
    Sorry for my bad english!
    I hope you can help me. I'm installing an EMG Zakk Wylde set in my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but I have a problem.
    Here's a picture I made with paint. It only shows the pots and the wire from the pickup selector.
    So, 3 wires coming from the pickup selector (yellow - neck pu, white - to input jack, red - bridge pu). But when they reach the pot cavity there is one more wire (a black one). I don't know, where it's coming from. And there is some kind of plug here (the brown thing on the picture). On the other side of the plug the wires have different colours. And the black wire is divided into two, and joins the white wire and one of the red wire (i have 3 wires again). Does anyone know where should i solder the wires (in the yellow circle)?
    Please help me, if You can!
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

9. nathanmanansala

nathanmanansala Junior Member

:thumb:

10. WadeClay

WadeClay Member

Can anyone tell me what style of wiring my 08' studio would have. I'm assuming the obvious answer is the modern wiring diagram.

11. brotor

brotor Junior Member

'08 black beauty wiring anyone?

12. Gryphon

Gryphon Senior Member

Just joined this forum to say thanks to all the contributors. Never knew that the 50s wiring was different from modern-day. My 91 LP Std has the Peter Green (magnet flip) mod already and I had some Orange Drop 0.015uF caps sitting around, and a new soldering workstation, so I set to work replacing the stock caps and changing the layout to 50s spec. I'm glad I did. The tone controls now give much more subtle changes, the treble is retained better when the vol is rolled off, and I'm a happy ex-lurker. The only thing I might change from this point on is the bridge pu cap value as the 0.015 I put in that position doesn't give much tone change at all; just enough to be worth having the control, but I can see why others use bigger caps in that position.

13. charmcitysaints

charmcitysaints Member

so what is the "real" 50's wiring? in looking to change my wiring i have been doing tons of searches and have found conflicting sketches, pics and info.. sometime in the same article..

this claims to be the "real" 50's style wiring..

[​IMG]

but that has that cap tied to the center lug on the tone control.. and then this pic is saying it is the "real" 50's wiring but tells you to move the cap from the center lug to the one where the ground was, and move the ground to the center lug.. and on the volume pot shows switching the input and output wires around..

[​IMG]

then this one show not switching the input and out put wires around..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then there is this.. from this thread http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/21354-re-wiring-epi-lp-standard.html

[​IMG]

but it looks like the "modern" wiring depicted here..

[​IMG]

god i am so confused... am i reading these incorrectly? can anyone shed some light on this?? which is the correct way?

i found this on the gibson site..

[​IMG]

14. jonesy

I use the one marked 50's style wiring and take it to be correct. Center lug on tone soldered back to case and cap connected to center lug on volume pot.

15. jonesy

[​IMG]
    How about this one?

16. charmcitysaints

charmcitysaints Member

thanks jonesy.. :fingersx:

17. jonesy

Your Welcome bro, if you need any help with wiring just let me know OK?

18. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

Why did I just see one cap in my 3-pickup strat?

19. jonesy

Stock Fender wiring just uses 1 cap for both of your tone controls actually. Some guys add another cap and have different value for each tone control.
    Also check to see if your lower tone control works bridge pu, chances are it doesn't unless you have delta-tone or a little jumper wire added on switch.

20. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

I think so too. My lower tone control knob does not control the bridge pup. Do you have a picture where I can copy the 2 cap and bottom tone control mod. Thanks Jonesy!