Wiring Library

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by ashbass, May 30, 2007.

1. whytheflyband

whytheflyband Senior Member

would this be the same on all gibson products...the 50's wiring? When I installed my new pickups in my ES135 I just copied what was there..didnt even think about checking ot any forums. My caps are tied back to teh tone pots also...should I take it apart and change it to the 50's wiring or is this only suited for LEs Pauls?

2. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

That wiring works on any Guitar that uses 2 humbuckers, 3 way toggle switch and 2 vol. and 2 tone. LP, SG, 335 etc. It's up to you if you want to change it out, would be good experience and you could compare and see if there is any Tonal variation from other set-up?

3. Cacophonous

Cacophonous Junior Member

One more question... is there a correct orientation for the six pickup screws (on top of it)? Or the pickup can be rotated and no difference in tone will occur? :Ohno:

4. jonesy

The Pickup mounting Gibson uses on PAF's is, the screws go to the "Outside" of each pickup vs "Inside", this keeps windings and phasing in proper orientation. Look at picture of any LP you can see this...not sure how they sound flipped?

5. Cacophonous

Hum.... did I feel an itching-to-try-that vibe there? hihhihihiehe :D

6. whytheflyband

well I have P90's not hubuckers so should it still work and sound correctly?

7. jonesy

Yes, if you mean the 3 way toggle 2 vol. 2 tone wiring set-up P-90's or humbuckers will work fine...

8. whytheflyband

Oh yea sorry... the controls are Identical to the les paul...just farther apart.

9. whytheflyband

Ok I swapped my ES 135 around. I couldn't wire it exactly like a LP because of the distance between the pots. I made a post with some diagrams I stole from this thread and modded them to look like what I had done. But I think it gets the same results because there is a HUGE difference in tone. its so open and big and the P90's finally have that growl or snarl i thought they should have had. I was pretty darn happy with the pickups before but I didnt realize how much they were "muffled". it was well worth the effort and burning the hell out of my finger.

10. jonesy

Nice job Man, sounds like time well spent in search of that elusive ToneMojo...lol
    Tip: Solder the pots, :cool:not your finger...
    peace, jonesy

11. Cacophonous

Hello Joney, help me out on something... Would these be the "tone caps" you mentioned?

Capacitors at Stewart-MacDonald

Where can I find CTS pots?

Thanks,
    Rodrigo

12. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

if this is in the wrong place shift me along, but what are the three prongs for that you find on pots... Ok I know theyre to attach wires to, but what do they do (in layman's terms please)??

13. jonesy

I clicked on the link and those were just ceramic disc caps, IMO they aren't anywhere near as smooth as an Oil in Paper cap, Bees etc...the orange drop caps are smoother than te disc, orange are polypropalene, good for little money. Go to my website ToneMojo.com and that will link you to my Custom Shop on ebay. You can look and see what caps I have and compare prices, mine are are NOS metal cased, Sprague, GOODALL, Gudeman, PIO.?

14. jonesy

Just Google it, you should find several detailed explanations with diagrams, seek and yea shall find Bro....

Peace, jonesy

15. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

I did do that but to be honest I couldnt find anything that said if I connect cap to tab a this will happen, if I connect it to tab c this will happen.

Reason being Im running cts audio tapers, 50's wiring, but still everything seems to be happening between 7&8.... Could be due to me being left handed and having to reverse the connections...

Hurry up and get another 4 posts down & Ill PM you Jonesy there were a few things I wanted to talk to you about...:)

16. noslen1968

noslen1968 Senior Member

17. jonesy

Ok I Googled it...here is link to Stew Mac Page, Nice explanation and drawings to show what each lug on pots does....

How Guitar Pots Work...

Basically if you measure between the two outside lugs on a pot you will get the full(actual) value of what pot reads. When Center lug and left wiper are used you create your volume control with variable resistance 0-500k
    Not sure what you mean by "since I am left handed, had to reverse connections" your pots are right handed pots and should be wired that way. Your guitar or you being left handed does not determine wiring. There are true left handed pots that need to be wired mirror image of right handed but I don't think this is the case with your project...???

18. Big_dawg

Big_dawg Senior Member

thanks I think googling 'guitars Pot tabs' prob wasnt the best description I could have used, there seemd to be a lot of smoking going on...:shock:

Actually page 2 of that was what I was after, so basically if I want an incremental increase in volume or tone I should be using linear pots and not audio taper pots....:hmm:.......bugger.....

19. jonesy

The Key Google search word here is Guitar Pot vs Pot....:naughty:

Actually audio pots will give you a smoother taper that your ear hears to be correct and linear gives you more of a sudden jump as your ear needs to hear 5 times of what the volume curve is to be correct....that is how it was explained to me. I know an east coast luthier swears by a 250k linear pot for LP or SG Jr, he likes the sound it produces??

Peace, jonesy

20. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

Nice. Just did the volume pot change. Burned the wood a little bit eeek!

Sounds like there is more treble. Especially noticeable in the neck position.