wiring issue

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by sk8rat, Jul 29, 2017.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

rewired my les paul to 50's wiring but its not working. it was making sound at first but the knobs were all messed up. the if I turned the bridge volume it would act as the neck volume and weird stuff like that. then it stopped working all together.
    [​IMG]

Im wondering it I have the pickups wired wrong (red = hot, black = ground). I looked it up and it says I have it right. they are stock gibson '57 pickups.
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Apart from experimenting with the leads from the pickups the only thing i can suggest is your grounding. Personally (and im no expert but have wiring several guitars ranging from 50s wiring to 21 tone jimmy page style) I like to hook the bridge ground and switch ground to the neck volume pot with the neck pup ground, then run a solid wire around from the neck volume, to neck tone, to the bridge tone, to the bridge volume with the bridge pup ground, then connect the jack ground to the bridge volume pot. I dont know if it truly does anything but in my mind it creates a nice straight line to ground with no loops. Apart from that make sure your caps arent grounding out against anything.
    I read your other thread so i know you tested the pups and they work. But did you test the pots before hand?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    sk8rat likes this.
  3. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

thanks for the reply. I think my iron just wasnt getting hot enough so I was getting cold joints. im taking it in to get it done. I went to go get a hotter iron but turns out the radio shack down the street finally shut down the other day.

4. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

If your still looking for a new iron at all I am very happy with my weller 40 watt station. Works great and wasn't too expensive. You might have dodged a bullet with the radio shack iron, I had one of their nice digital stations and while it had a nice feature set, everything just felt sort of cheap. I gave it away when the heating element in the tip broke. The weller is much nicer and 40 watts seems more than adequate for guitar work, though maybe not if you were assembly line working with it all day.

5. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

so I wired the switch up to another wiring harness and that switch seems to be the issue. I am going to re wire the switch and see but I dont get it because I check for continuity and my meter showed connection.

6. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

When frustrated. Start the whole thing over is my technique.