Wiring driving me mad - help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Steve Blackdog, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Steve Blackdog

Steve Blackdog Junior Member

Hi Folks

The title says it all really.

I am at the end of my Bar Top Les Paul build and so getting to that stage in the game when I am losing the ability to think straight.

I have a Seymour Duncan Sreamin Deamon in the bridge, a PAF copy (4 wire mod) in the neck, switchcraft three way toggle, three braided wire to pups and jack.

The pots are CTS with two push pulls for vols and two standards for tone. Orange drop caps.

I have a simple coil splitting arrangement with both vols push pulls acting as split switches.

My neck pick up when selected is silent, but all the wiring is or appears to be fine. The neck pickup is alive, as you can get noise from it on middle selection. What is really weird is that the bridge and neck volume pots both seem to turn the volume up or down on the bridge pup.

What I am thinking is that there must be some sort of short between the two hot pup wires from the toggle. Before I take everything apart and start again, does this sound like a switch wiring problem or a pot wiring problem?

I am not going to post any pictures, as everything is wired as it should be.

Also the only place I have to do the wiring is in the kitchen and I am severely annoying my wife now.

And another also. Also I touched the damned solder tip in the shellac (thankfully on the back) so a refinish job is on the cards before I have even finished.

So anyone with an electronics brain that can assist would very welcome.

All the best

Steve

2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member