Wiring Cabs, Speaker OHMS all in one thread

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JakeM, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Adambomb

Adambomb Senior Member

Quick question on speaker wire. Do you guys think bigger gauge speaker wire makes a difference in sound or do ya think thinner standard wire is fine and there's no difference?

2. TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo The Guitar Whisperer Premium Member

3. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Using this pic I posted earlier...

[​IMG]

I'm going to wire up two 8 ohm homebrew speaker isolation cabs I built for home recording and for playing stages run by volume nazis. I'm going to put all the switching jacks into one iso cab, and then wire in a patch jack for connecting to the other iso. In the pic above, I'm essentially replacing one of the speakers with a simple jack.

This way I can use both cabs with my old Bassman (happiest at 4 ohms) and my Peavey C20 (16 ohms only). And with two loads available, any future amp I use will be just fine. :thumb:

4. skrumian

skrumian Junior Member

Do you link for a recommended 212 cabinet plan? Thanks!

5. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

Not sure if anyone is familiar with these...........

[​IMG]

Pre-wired jack panel. Had leads/terminals for both speakers. Gave my little carvin 2x12 cab a TON of options. I mounted it with 3 screws so I didn't have to mod the cabinet a whole lot.

Definitely recommend it.

NHTom

6. Guitar 101

Guitar 101 Member

Just converted a Line 6 Cab to 16 ohm to be used with my Marshall 40C DSL, giving me a 5X12 config. WOOOOWOW the sound is deeper and richer and pretty amazing. This is despite the soso speaker that came in the Line 6 Cab, which I received as a gift before I had the 40C.

Two lessons here: The speaker wires and clips in the Line 6 cab can 100% be reused to reconfig from the 4 ohm or 8-8 ohm set up, to one 16 ohm which is then connected to the 40C.

You may ask why I would even use a Line 6 cab....well here is the second lesson, don't walk away leaving a search with a Line 6 cab on the PC. Someone may buy it as a gift that you cannot return. Oh well.....it is all good.

7. AmplifiedParts

AmplifiedParts MLP Sponsor

Hey everyone, I'm sure the subject has been discussed many times but anyone that's curious as to how to wire up their 2x12 cab in either series or parallel configurations can check out our little walkthrough video. Just follow the link to our YouTube page and be sure to subscribe!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvXO_AoUTqA

8. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII Senior Member

9. AmplifiedParts

Yeah, I figured it had been discussed at least once. Haha.

10. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Only one cup of coffee so far but I'll toss this out there for those interested in a moderately useful tidbit.......

A little trick with identical speakers in identical parallel branches ( all 8Ω drivers for this example)

(# of series speakers in one branch) & (# of parallel branches)

+ means add in series
    || means reciprocate in parallel and reciprocate the answer for Z_T or if identical branches, simply divide Z_T of ONE branch by number of branches.

2 & 2 - (8Ω + 8Ω) || (8Ω + 8Ω) = 16Ω || 16Ω = Z_T 8Ω

(2 speakers in one branch of 8Ω each = 16Ω Z_T for ONE branch ) & (two identical branches of 16Ω Z_T each)

3 & 3 - (8Ω + 8Ω + 8Ω) || (8Ω + 8Ω + 8Ω) || (8Ω + 8Ω + 8Ω) = 24Ω || 24Ω || 24Ω = Z_T 8Ω

4 & 4 - ... 32Ω || 32Ω || 32Ω || 32Ω = Z_T 8Ω

and so on... Divides P_T among the total # of speakers....

Notice that Z_T for all configurations is 8Ω.... The amp has no clue what is out there anyway...It will simply see Z_T...

So with say P_T = 100W max

2 & 2 = 4 drivers = 25W per driver
    3 & 3 = 9 drivers = 11.11W per driver
    4 & 4 = 16 drivers = 6.25W per driver
    and so on....

;)

11. Roudan

Roudan Senior Member

Hi I bought a custom cabinet. There are two wires one is red color the other one is white color. So what color connect to positive end on speaker? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  12. AmplifiedParts

You would want to determine which lead is going to the Tip(+) and which is going to the Sleeve (-) once you know that you'll know which lead goes to which on the speaker.

Roudan likes this.
  13. ricky bobby

ricky bobby Member

Anyone have a Diagram on how to wire an extension speaker jack to an 4x12 8 ohm speaker cab so I can run both my 8ohm speaker cabinets in parallel? New amp exceeds both my cabs individual power, and the darn thing only has a single output jack for 4, 8, and 16.

14. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Two 8Ω cabs in parallel is 4Ω
    8Ω || 8Ω = 4Ω

Sooooo, if you put an extension jack in the back of a cab, solder jumper wire pin to pin, sleeve to sleeve, old jack to new ext jack. Whatever you plug into that ext jack is in parallel to original cab... Do yourself a favor and label that as extension cab out ONLY on back of cab... Head dumbassery off at the pass...

15. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

Hmmmmmm.
    Help me my peeps. I just purchased a cool Bob Burt cab and its comes with 1 8ohm Celestion blue. Rated at 15 w.

I was going to match it with an extra 65 W Scumback I have . I was going to pair it with another higher rated speaker as I was actively searching for a 2x12 cab and I kind of got the Celestion blue for free . I dont want to toast the Blue , but as both speakers are 8 ohms and the cab is wired to make it a 16 ohm cab I was going to give it a spin.

The amps I will be playing through it is a 35 watt Dr. Z , a 20 Watt Analog outfitter Road amp, and a 50 W Roccaforte . The Roccaforte scares me the most.
    I've played the Rocca through the scumback in a 1x12 for a while and dug it. I figured the addition of the blue will give it some body but I dont want to fry the bastid.
    Not to worried about the Dr Z or the Outfitter.

What do you all say? Also the outfitter ONLY has a 8 ohm output. I'm going to now play it through the 2x12 at 16 ohms. I know these questions have been answered.....maybe I'm looking for extra reassurances? :doh: