Wiring Cabs, Speaker OHMS all in one thread

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JakeM, Feb 19, 2011.

1. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

An attenuator will definitely be cheaper than building a decent quality cab. Getting nice 8" speakers and some nice wood to build the cab itself could get a bit more expensive than you anticipate. Try an EQ pedal for when you are in the lower wattage settings and see how that gets you before the attenuator.

Good luck

Jake

2. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback,

I do have a 10 band MXR EQ and I did try that and it did help with brightening up the tone, but cranking the 4w setting to the sweet spot is a much better tone. It just seems like the cab "sucks" up all the sound at the lower settings.

I also heard that the AC4's perform better at the 4w setting - I'm still getting a feel for the little amp.

3. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

What speaker have you got?? Vox amps love greenbacks and alnico speakers. Maybe you could swap your speaker for either a WGS Green Beret or a Weber Alnico speaker...might be worth a shot and not too expensive.

Jake

4. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

The Egnator has a Celestion Elite 80w speaker (16 ohm)

5. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

The Egnator has a Celestion Elite 80w speaker (16 ohm)

6. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

The Egnator has a Celestion Elite 80w speaker (16 ohm). Vol. at about 6 at 4w it sounds great, just really loud for a small room. That's why I was thinking maybe a couple of 8" speakers might sound OK at the 1/4w and 2w settings without being too tinny (or maybe a way to switch between a single or dual 8" depending on the wattage setting). I could build a simple box to test it. The attenuator would work ok for line recording, but I don't think it will resolve the 12" speaker on the lower wattages. It seems like a sweet little amp with potential. :cool:

7. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I quoted this opening post as my photobucket deleted the original diagrams so here they are for anyone who is still confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Have you thought about sticking with the 4 watt setting and experimenting with a baffle?

(This guy's voice reminds me of Tom Petty :cool: )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2WQcYS2qw]Homemade Lexan Amp Baffles using parts from Home Depot - YouTube[/ame]

9. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

GF: He's definately laid back... and definately an idea.

Jake: Thanks for the diagrams:

It looks like either 2x8" @8 Ohms in series or 1 x 8" @ 16ohm are the available options. for some reason I seem to have a math block on this.

Speaker question: In my head it seems that a big part of tone is matching the correct speaker size with the amp (and wattage which I tend associate with magnet size). Years ago I had a great 70's Traynor combo, tube about 30w with spring reverb and it really had a great sound. It seemed that the speaker was perfectly matched and would overdrive just enough for great tone and not scatter. With this little Vox, my brain says the power difference between 1/4, 2, and 4w makes me question that a single speaker is going deliver well at all three settings - just checking my logic here.

Thanks,

10. cmcoram

cmcoram Senior Member

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly, if put 4 75w speakers in a cab (becoming 300w max) being pushed my a 60w head, I'm ok?

11. 2themax

2themax Senior Member

Update: Over the weekend, I did some playing on this amp with a Strat that I just got working again and it sounded pretty decent (at all wattages). Like I originally mentioned my Epi and Tele, both need re-wiring - the Strat had just been re-wired with decent Pup's and it sounded pretty good. Looks like any speaker mod's are on hold for now...

Really appreciate the input...

1 person likes this.
  12. tattooed hands

tattooed hands Senior Member

Hey folks,
    I have a noob question. I have a vox V110NT cab (with matching head) and Im a little confused as to what ohm rating the cab is. When looking on sites it says max input 16 ohm. so when I connect a different head, do I plug the cab in to the 16 ohm port?
    cheers

13. croaker

croaker Member

Just curious how do you go about mixing a G12M @ 15 ohms with a G12H @ 16 ohms in a 2x12?

14. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

15 ohms is the same thing. Wire in parallel to get an 8ohm cab.

15. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

The specs on it states it is a 16 ohm 30 watt cab. With a different head you would connect it to the 16 0hm speaker output of the amp head. I wouldn't use anything over 30 watts either.

Vox V110NT Lil' Night Train 1x10" Extension Cabinet | Sweetwater.com

16. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

1 person likes this.
  17. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

Don't know if this has been asked, but lemme know the consequences of mixing speaker wattage in a 2X 12 cab.
    Say I have 2 different 8 ohm speakers 1 @ 40 Watts and 1 @ 15 watts.
    Will these work together in a 2X12 cab. or is that a bad decision?
    I'm running max 14 watts through the cab right now.
    Will the difference in wattage of the 2 speakers cause the cab output and tone to be less than optimal, or sound out of balance?
    Is it best to use 2 speakers of equal wattage in a 2 X12 cab?
    Please school me in the particulars of mixing different wattage speakers in s 2X12 cab.

18. Red2112

Red2112 Senior Member

Reading brought to mind I had a similar dilema with my Epiphone Valve Junior when it came out,

Like most 5w amps, the sweet spot is in the 10-12 o´clock spot, and as you say, can be a bit loud for home use.

Since I didnt have a cab back then, I would use the 8" speaker of a Vox Pathfinder15 combo plugged to my EVJ head. Later on I got a cheap 2x12 100w cab. If I remember correctly (dont have the Vox anymore), the EVJ sounded louder on my 2x12 and had more breakup on the 8". Actualy I think it´s should be revers, the more air you need to move means more watts needed, so it should be lower. No pro here just giving ideas...

See If you can get a 8" combo from someone and just make a special speaker cable so you can try out the 8" with your amp.

Getting an atenuator for a 4w amp (unless you make it yourself) can be more expensive then the amp it´s self in some cases. Unless you love the tone, I dont see the point.

You could also try to lower the amp and boost it with a booster like Xotic RC or the like, on your 1x12.

Have fun!

19. camdenlp

camdenlp Senior Member

So I just scored some vintage Greenback (1974 Creamback) Celestions to put into my rig. I'm running a 2x12 cab currently with V-30s and a 50w Marshall Plexi head. So my 2 25 w GB's are okay to run to my amp, right? Also, I use a THD Hotplate I'm just making sure I'm not going to ruin my amp, or these speakers. Any pointers? I'm also considering using 1 V-30 and 1 GB, any feedback on that combination? What would be the benefits of running one of each, if any, or should I stick with the same in both cabs? Thanks folks...I'll be checking back :)

20. harperlewis.

harperlewis. Junior Member

Wondering if someone could help me out;

I have a Orange AD30R 2x12 combo with Eminence Legends in it, and im in currently in the process of building a 2X12 extension cab to run with it.

Now, i am more than well versed in the world of carpentry, so that part i have fully covered, however, i'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to the intricacies of impedance.

My combo has 3 inputs on the backside, 1 16OHM input and 2 8OHM inputs.

i'm really not sure how this works. If my amp is powering the internal speakers through the 16ohm input, would i change it to the 8ohm input and wire my extension cab for 8ohms?

some pointers would be appreciated.