Wiring Cabs, Speaker OHMS all in one thread

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JakeM, Feb 19, 2011.

1. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Sweet scored a pair of "cosmetic defect" Black Shadows today for $75 each! Gonna wire that 2x12 expansion for the Rockverb tonight... unless I drink more beer... then tomorrow... :D

2. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

Yes, the Orange is 120w's

3. Dwin

Dwin Senior Member

I read this all, and I'm still confused.
    If I have a 212, and I want it at 8Ω how should I wire the speakers? I want both in and out, so I can daisy chain other cabinets together.

4. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I'm not sure about the out, but if you daisy chain an "out" with another identical 212 cab of the same impedance it will half. Does your amp handle 4/8/16?

the in and out is how Sourmash I believe wire their cabs.
    To get 8 ohms however you will need 2 16ohms wired in parallel

5. LesPauI+SG=Win

LesPauI+SG=Win Senior Member

If I were to run 2 4x12 8ohm cabs, would I put my amp on the 4ohm selection?

6. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

not if the amp allows for 2 8 ohm outs, then you will be fine

7. Dwin

Dwin Senior Member

Well Its a lopo 212, and it has ins and outs, and is pre wired, my amp has 2 4Ω and 1 8Ω right now the cab has 1 speaker in it, so im using the 8Ω output.

Which Ω speakers should I order? I'm ordering veteran 30's from wcg, should I get 2 8Ω or 2 16 Ω?

8. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

8 ohms and wire them series parallel

9. kam4ff

kam4ff Senior Member

I want to make a 212 with two 8 ohm speakers at 75 a piece that makes 150 watts. can someone make a wiring diagram so that I can make it at preferably 8 ohms for use with a Marshall head? Also in PapaSquash's post why is there an in and an out on a speaker cab? Do I have to use both?

10. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Hey KAM, there is a wiring diagram on the first page that allows you to wire your 212 to 8ohms by using 2 8ohm speakers, but ill do a simpler diagram now

jake

11. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

actually Kam, the in out allows you to daisychain cabs but you don't really need that, unfortunately Photobucket are updating their site so my pics on the first page won't work and I won't be able to upload a new one for a while but PM your email and ill send you the diagram

jake

12. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

If you put two 75 watt speakers in your cab it will be a 75 watt cab.
    If you put four 75 watt speakers in a cab it will be a 75 watt cab.
    If you put two 30 watt speakers and two 75 watt speakers in a cab it will be a 30 watt cab.

13. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

No. From my experience, you take the lowest wattage speaker's power handling, and multiply it by the total number of speakers, or

4x75W= 300W

2x75W= 150W

2x30W+2x75= 120W

Total handling will vary ± 20W.

14. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

You can't make 2 8ohm speakers, into an 8ohm cab. your wiring options are series for 16ohms, or parallel for 4 ohms.

You don't need to use both jacks. In fact "input" and "output" are misleading, and for that I apologize. Better labels would be "amp" and "ext" for an extension cab.

The only output of a cab is the noise out the front, the cable completes a circuit that makes that happen (the juice goes into the cab and back out through the same cable) so when I said "output" I wasn't really being helpful.

15. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Can't be done. Two 8 ohm speakers will either give you a 16 ohm cab or a 4 ohm cab depending on whether they're wired in series or parallel. With a $1.29 DPDT switch from Radio Shack you can make a cab that you can switch between 4 ohms and 16 ohms but you can't make it 8 ohms.

16. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Yup...what he said! :thumb:

17. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I've been thinking...Can a 2x12 bass cab with something like a Mesa Rec 2x12 cab be connected to a 100W guitar tube amp providing watt's an ohm's suit? I lnow how silly this may sound, just not too sure how safe it is on the head or cab

18. Dwin

Dwin Senior Member

So, I have a lopo 212, and it has 2 jacks. I believe both speakers are wired in a parallel, its prewired all I had to do was plug my speakers in. Can one jack act to daisy-chain to another cab? Or is it to run the cab in stereo?

19. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

The jack is for adding another cab. I don't like to say "daisy chaining" that seems to imply that the cabs are in series. Cabs connected this way are not like links in a chain, one after another, they are like spokes on a wheel, each connected to the center (your amp's output transformer)

If it were for stereo there'd have to be some sort of switch to separate the speakers when in stereo mode.

It will cut your overall resistance in half (if the added cab is the same as your Lopo. If not, come back with the numbers and we'll talk) Make sure your amp can deal with this.

For this discussion, It doesn't matter how the speakers inside are wired, the Lopo 212, as a unit, has X resistance (ohms) and by adding another path for the signal to travel through you will have lowered that resistance. The signal at that extension jack actually bypasses the Lopo and doesn't pass through it's speakers.

I've never seen a "ext" jack in series, but I haven't seen everything. (and I think you'd have to have some kind of switch for that also, or the jack would cause an open circuit)

20. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Assuming ohms match I see no reason it wouldn't work. Wattage is immaterial unless you're seriously exceeding the speakers wattage but I'd think with a bass cab that'd be awful hard to do with a guitar amp.