Wiring Cabs, Speaker OHMS all in one thread

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JakeM, Feb 19, 2011.

1. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Thread is stuck. :D

Deftone likes this.
  2. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Meaning the amp shouldn't exceed the power rating of the speakers right? You are saying 50watt amp 60watt cabinet=good... 100watt amp 60watt cabinet=bad?

I think my RV50 may even have 120watt setup... I'll call Orange again and ask them.

One more clarification... If I wire 2 8ohm/60watt speakers in series I end up with a 16ohm/120watt cabinet. And two 8ohm/80watt speakers give me a 16ohm/160watt cabinet. Correct? Thanks, PJ

3. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

Man, I spent 5 minutes looking for this thread again, until I realized it became a sticky. :rolleyes: We'll see if it has the same fate as other stickies, and actually gets read...

I just looked as well, ad it is wired in parallel. Not exactly sure why Fender shorts the one jack to ground when nothing's plugged in. It seems counter-intuitive, seeing no load on the amp. So, really, you're safe as long as you plug into both jacks. as long as both cabs total 8, or 4&#937;, you should be fine. Fender OT's handle mismatches rather well, even under rated load.

:laugh2: Actually, I'm pressing Alt+Z. I'm on a Mac, though. PC's are definitely different, can't recall how to make the &#937;mega symbol there.

4. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Cheers BB, I got a sticky in the Squawk Box...WOO!! I hope we can get more diagrams up here and some pics from member's cabs. Punkerjon you will be fine with the setups you posted. You understand this stuff better than you think...fairplay

g'luck
    jake

5. PunkerJon

PunkerJon Senior Member

Thank Punk, just wanted to make sure... An ounce of prevention, so to speak...

6. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Ah dude your fine, glad I could help

jake

7. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

I lost the thread there for a minute too.

Really? I thought "Never go Under" was an absolute. Are you suggesting that a cab with 2 16's in series (for 32) run in parallel with my existing 4ohm cab might not be automatically fatal?

In a case like that would most of the signal "take the path of least resistance" and make the 4ohm cab much louder than the 32? is that much disparity between cabs just a plain bad idea?

I'm really just wondering because my real plan is to make my current cab switchable (4 or 16) and get another and wire it the same. Then I can use either one as a 4 by itself or switch them to 16 and use them as an 8ohm pair.

8. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I'm not sure with that one mate, sounds interesting though. I'm not sure about mixing ohms like that. Why not go for 2 8ohms in series-parallel and then another 8 in parallel with that, that would give you a 4ohm with three speakers

jake

9. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

Well, In a complex situation like that, all I can say is, Don't mismatch if you aren't comfortable doing it.

10. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

Yeah, I'm sort of curious, but not enough to go build a 32ohm cab and find out. It just feels wrong.

I'll go with my original plan and make some switchable cabs if I need the extension.

11. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

let us know how you get on and don't be afraid to throw up a diagram or some pics up aswell if you do

jake

12. SludgeBurns

SludgeBurns Senior Member

So I have two 2x12's and both are 8 ohm cabs. Both also have two jacks, for daisy chaining I guess. When I use the 8 ohm speaker out on my amp and connect to one of the 2x12's, is it safe to use the other jack on that cab and connect to my other 2x12 or does the load change by doing that?

Both cabs are wired parallel.

13. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Sludge, that extra jack I assume is for a stereo setup ,ie.if you were using a stereo power amp and wanted to pan left and right. What cab have you got? I may be able to take a look. Does your amp have 2 8ohm outs? if so, I'd run one out to one jack of cab A and the other out the one jack of cab B.

I couldn't tell you for sure without knowing what you have or looking into that particular model.

14. SludgeBurns

SludgeBurns Senior Member

One is a Lopo Line cab and one is a Tech 21 cab. They are wired like Dave's Avatar cabs. Here is what he says in his FAQ section:

I guess I'm not sure what that means in regards to the load.

15. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

Same goes for this....

[​IMG]

16. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Well in that case Sludge, your golden. The jack will run as an out but I'm not sure if it will change the impedance

17. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

Sludge

If the jacks are wired parallel, then the load will be cut in half for a total load of 4ohms (just like two 8ohm speakers wired in parallel would be)

Viva

I'll wire my cabs like this:

[​IMG]

http://colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html

SteveGangi likes this.
  18. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Papa, that looks fine, call me old fashioned but I just prefer one jack on the back with one choice in ohms. Most amps these days will accommodate for 16ohms or 8ohms

jake

19. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

Great thread. The Boogie Manual tells me it's okay to plug the 16 ohm cab into the 8 ohm jack, but doesn't talk about mixing ohmage. I guess I'll just have to use the 16 ohm cab by it self.
    I do have a 1X12 cab loaded w/an 8 ohm EV Force, so I'll be able to use that as an extension cab w/ my 5:25.

20. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

Is your G10 in your Express the 8&#937; or 16&#937; version, Grand Pappy? If it's the 8, you can plug both it and the EV extension cab into two 4&#937; jacks on your amp.