Wired IEM... what is your cable solution?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by musicmand, Jul 23, 2017.

1. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

I didn't see a good "live performance" forum - maybe I missed it, and maybe a mod can move it if so.

My 4 piece band (drums, bass, 2 guitars - all the string players sing) is looking to move toward IEM. Without 4 grand to work with, however, we're going to get our feet wet with wired IEMs. The solution I'm looking at is as follows:

Behringer XR18 using either the standard Aux buses to a Rolls (or similar) headphone amp for each player (or use a Behringer P16M personal monitor mixer in place of the Rolls) > TRS - XLR cable runs to an Elite Core belt pack (basically just a solution to plug earphones into something besides a loose cable) > earphones.

For our drummer, it can stop right there. For the rest of us, though, I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with the extra cable. Originally, I planned to get velcro strips to connect the TRS - XLR cable to my guitar cable, but this seems rather clunky. I am a Covenant Cables artist, so I am looking into getting a custom cable built - basically a mini snake that would carry my stereo IEM and guitar signal in one. I don't think I'd want to plug directly into the cord like the TC Helicon cord, but maybe that would be easier than the Elite Core unit.

My concerns: I tend to swing my guitar around a lot. I'll swing it to the left while playing, and I'll occasionally hold it away from my body. I often swing it the right and let it rest behind my back when I'm not playing. I therefore need a solution with enough slack for when I swing the guitar to the left or hold it out in front of me, but something that won't scratch the tar out of my Les Paul when I slide it around my back (this is my biggest concern about the Elite Core, as it's basically a metal box with sharp corners).

So... does anybody else run a wired IEM for live music while playing guitar, and if so, how do you deal with that extra annoying cable?