Will Ghs Fast Fret Damage Your Guitar???

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by jwinger, Jun 15, 2008.

1. jwinger

jwinger Senior Member

Hi, I've been using ghs fast fret for a couple of years approximately every other time I play my guitar to clean the strings. I just want to know, does anybody know if long term or frequent use will cause ANY sort of damage to my les paul. I'd rather have to change the strings once a week than have a product like fast fret damage my fret board or neck or something. I don't know how much you can trust these things. On the other hand I don't want the fret board to dry out, but maybe it would be better to change the strings more often and treat the board once every three months or so??? what do you all think??

2. loaded six string

loaded six string V.I.P. Member

I'd like to know also. Ive been using the same stuff off and on for years. I like the way it makes your strings feel slick. I put it on again right before I put the guitar away, to clean the sweat and oil off of the strings.

3. BCRGreg

BCRGreg V.I.P. Member

Great stuff, NO DAMAGE.

Been using it for many years on my guitars, old and new.

4. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

Tony Iommi swears by it ...

5. Wolf Child

Wolf Child Banned

what about WD-40?

6. Lester B. Flat

Lester B. Flat Senior Member

That's a BIG no-no. It contains silicone.

7. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

fast fret is great stuff and no damage. i use it more for the feel than the cleaning properties but its great for both

8. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I hate the shit. I used it for many years, without knowing there was something better. It felt, and smelled, a lot like WD-40 to me. It always left some weird residue all over the fretboard, no matter how much I wiped off.

It might just be my skin chemistry. I dunno...

Bore oil/Fret Dr. is the only thing I'll put on my guitars.

ryanmichael95 likes this.
  9. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I imagine if it caused damage it wouldn't have been on the market since the 70's.

When people say 'damage' they usually refer to silicone buildup in the wood. If ever the day comes when you need to refinish your FRETBOARD then you can start to worry about it. Fretboards get replaced when worn out, so I wouldn't worry at all.

Also anybody who knows anything about refinishing wood knows how to get rid of 'fish eye' causing silicone buildup.

So yea, I figure Fast Fret is pretty safe. Messy as hell, but is a fine product. I switched to Finger-Ease spray a year back because I got sick of dealing with the messy GHS applicator. It also can be sprayed on the back of the neck to totally get rid of that sticky lacquer feel of most Les Pauls.

icantbuyafender likes this.
  10. sapi

sapi Senior Member

I just use it to wipe the strings AFTER playing to extend their life a bit. Don't need a lot, otherwise it feels too slippery. It works for me and have been using it for years. I use lemon oil for the fretboard.
    Best,
    jo

11. stonevibe

stonevibe Senior Member

Fast Fret is evil and gunks up fretboards. HATE the stuff and would never use it on a guitar. Seen it turn to concrete where people have applied it incorrectly and not removed the residue properly.

Wouldn't even recommend it to my enemies.

Waste of money and a bad idea all round.

12. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

I've been using a cleaner with walnut and orange oil for a few years now and I like the results a lot . Nice silky feel and no gunky build up . I have no idea if its good or bad for my guitars . So far so good ...

Oh, and is smells all citrusy -n- stuff

13. Lefty666

Lefty666 Senior Member

I think Fast Fret is amazing stuff. Never had any buildup problems and I don't know how people can say it's messy. I've been using it for many years and for $5, it is priced right.

20_Gauge likes this.
  14. Bowhunterwt

Bowhunterwt V.I.P. Member

I used fast fret and so far no problems. I only use it on new strings to take the treble bite off, later I clean my strings with string cleaner and then another put another coat of fast fret. It also depends how much I play and how sweaty my hands get. I do this once every couple of days sometimes even longer. It may have to do wil the Elixer strings I use. They are coated~!!!!!:thumb::applause::dude:

15. xsouldriverx

xsouldriverx V.I.P. Member

i like fast fret better than the finger ease spray and i think its easy to apply and never found it messy. i only put it on my strings though. i use a toothpick to get out the gunk left in the corners of the frets and i use lemon oil on the wood to keep it looking/feeling good.

16. oldsawman

oldsawman Member

i generally dont use it on the fretboard but it works well for me to slicken up the neck

20_Gauge likes this.
  17. Saintsinner82

Saintsinner82 Senior Member

i jus really got into setups and up keep of mine and my friends guitarS..ive been using this stuff that comes in the dunlop 65 kit...works pretty good for me so far...but i would like to try fast fret

icantbuyafender likes this.
  18. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Been using it on all my guitars for years !!! No damage !! Heck .. It's only mineral oil !! :cool:

jaysmall likes this.
  19. dendog

dendog Junior Member

Howard Roberts used WD40 for years without incident. However he did put a piece of cardboard under the strings before spraying

vulture likes this.
  20. icantbuyafender

icantbuyafender Senior Member

aerosol cans of Finer Ease

cheap and effective. Safe for nitro, so you can spray the back of your neck too