Why You Should Try Pure Nickel Strings

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by gmacdonnell, Dec 30, 2008.

1. tdarian

tdarian Premium Member

I like the Pyramid Monel Classics too. I've had a set on for over a month and still sweet. I think these have just a little more bite on the attack while not being too bright. They feel refined like the Nickel Classics with similar tension. They are also round core. I'll try a set on my R6 too. I'm using 11-48 unwound G.

I got these through TM1 Don and will get more from him. He's good.

1 person likes this.
  2. peterp

peterp Senior Member

Has anybody tried the "Hand Polished" version of Pyramid Nickel Classics? What little information I could find on them suggested that the hand polishing is supposed to give them a smoother feel (a bit like flatwounds) -- but there seems to be very little information out there about them.

3. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

There are just too many variables (options) when it comes to strings, so I just decided to be happy with DR Pure Blues.

Works for me, and saves the angst of trying all the other options.

4. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

How long does it take before your finger stop turning black :)

5. shaky town

shaky town Senior Member

Whoa! I know we all have different guitars, amps, pickups, etc. I've bee using, and happy with D'Addario EPN110 pure nickels, for 7 years or so. So, you guys made me try the DR Pure Blues. I found these to be terrible. They were bright and dead sounding. It made my LP Std sound like I was running the worst pickups or something. I also hated the feel. I ripped them off after 30 minutes of torture. Then I tried the Snake Oil Vintage - fantastic tone, smooth to the fingers and ears, great harmonics, hearing a whole new guitar sound with these.

1 person likes this.
  6. Weldaar

Weldaar V.I.P. Member

I tried the Pure Nickel strings. i went back to GHS Boomers. Been using them since 1994, never let me down yet. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I always say.

7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Shaky,

Right, too many variables to say one type of string is best for everybody. I do, however, continue to like DR Pure Blues with my rig and style. No prob with fingers turning black. But continuing intonation woes -- especially on D string.

8. BluesRock

BluesRock Senior Member

I liked the sound an feel of the DR Pure Blues but I also had to make significant intonation adjustments with every string change. That got old really fast and I went back to Fender Pure Nickels.

9. nicoch

nicoch Senior Member

I really like the DR plain string better then Sob need to try the wound but round and nickel give for sure intonation and buzz problem .....

10. Dolebludger

Yeah, I first tried DR Pure Blues and bought a number of sets a few years back. Then I discovered that in about 20% of the sets the D string (and sometimes the A string) wouldn't intonate. I called DR and they said they were working on that "little problem". Little problem?!!:mad: Selling a guitarist strings that won't intonate is like Volkswagen selling an environmentalist a "clean diesel" car that actually pollutes like an SOB! So I'm using up the DRs I have, and haven't bought any more of them -- though I still have some of the original batch. Switched to Ernie Ball Cobalts for the time being. I know Cobalts are supposed to be for an entirely different sound than the DRs, but on my gear they are very similar. Most recently, I tried a set of GHS Nickel Rockers on my jazz box in 9 -46 gauge. The wound strings have pure nickel wrapping that is flattened somewhat to be sort of a cross between flat and round wound. Those I really like -- at least on the jazz box.

1 person likes this.
  11. Dolebludger

nicoch,

You are right in that DR Pure Blue wound strings have a round core instead of a hex core like most wound strings. The round core makes them vibrate in a larger pattern than hex, so you have to raise the action a little with the round cores to avoid buzz. This is not a defect, but just a physical characteristic of round core wound strings, which were very common in the 50s and 60s. Pure nickel wrap was also very common back then, but intonation problems weren't common then, and this is a defect in the DRs.

1 person likes this.
  12. nicoch

nicoch Senior Member

I know thanks.....I like mix set...on wound SOB and pyramid ,plain DR then SOB Pyramid