Why You Should Try Pure Nickel Strings

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by gmacdonnell, Dec 30, 2008.

1. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Yeah the Dean Markleys with Jimi Hendrix on the cover were pure nickle. If I had known that I would have given them a try to see how they were.

2. 970harris

970harris Senior Member

Nothing but history now but they made two models, pure nickel (with Jimi kind of in "Kiss the Sky" mode on the cover), and the other nickel wound (nickel plated steel) with the "Axis Bold As Love" album cover. The ones I scored were the nickel wound; I got to the party too late on the others. You can still find odd lots of the two online but most of the ones left / still available seem to be 11's.

3. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

Gonna give this a try. Could only find the D'Addario XL Nickel Wound's. Maybe if I drive the 30 miles to Mishawaka I will find something that is round core.

4. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Yeah I'm sure they are floating around.

5. Sonex Reducer

Sonex Reducer Senior Member

DR Pure Blues.

this thread saved me another few years searching for strings that sound warm from the get go. bending is a breeze, and the sound is super warm. they really shine on the neck pickup. amazing.

my tech put these on today after installing a new nut. therefore, i cant tell if i have to press down on the frets a bit harder with pure nickel strings, or if it has something to do with my nut being a little higher on my guitar.

what's the deal? press harder with pure nickel strings? either way, i'm not looking for another class of string ever.

and it's nice to be able to walk into a guitar center and grab a set of these when i don't plan ahead and still get 'em cheap.

thank you.

2 people like this.
  6. etzeppy

etzeppy Senior Member

Is that a good thing? On the surface it sounds as if your action has taken a turn for the worst. Mind explaining a little more?

7. Sonex Reducer

sure,

i took my burny in to get set up and my tech filed the nut just a hare on the g string slot and it was noticeably a little low. i bend that string a lot low on the fret board and i couldn't find much torque.

so he put a new nut on for me and he made it a tick higher than the last one probably to fit my playing style. and it does. stays in tune for days too:) its just when i barr all the strings with my index finger on the first couple of frets its a tad rough to hit all of the strings cleanly. at first i thought it was the strings, but now i figure its the nut.

if its a trade off for better bends / cleaner leads low on the frets with more "feeling and umph" and tighter open chords as well, due to more room to mute the strings while hammering away, i'll take having to press harder when playing a full F or F Sharp Barr Chord any day.

i'm totally new to understanding actually HOW a guitar works, but by using my novice lodgic this is how im understanding whats going on within my guitar.

anybody want to chime in and set me straight, i'm all ears. thanks:)

loving my guitar!

8. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

It sounds like your tech didn't put the nut on correctly or didn't cut the nut slots correctly. I'd suggest taking back to him and make him fix until it's correct.

9. Sonex Reducer

update:

i just raised the bridge on the treble side a tick and problem solved. the string height on the treble side was much, much lower than on the bass side.

1 person likes this.
  10. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Member

Funny, i always used those Ernie Ball pure nickels for years and then tried those Pyramids just because they´re half the price of the EB here in Germany.
    And i was like "wow, they´re just the same, maybe better" and for 3,50 Euros for a set i can change my strings once a week without spending big money...

11. Garcia

Garcia Member

Regarding the prices listed above, Snake Oil's have gone up a bit. They're no longer $8.50 but $12-16.00 depending on the retailer. So now the majority of strings we like pretty much cost the same.

12. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

I try buying Snake Oil, but the deal fell through and I didn't get any.

Not a good business practice nor good customer service either.

13. Hoopermazing

Hoopermazing Junior Member

I use DR Pure Blues string nowadays. When I played D'Addario Nickel plated strings, I used 8.5". With the DR's, I comfortably play 11s. And, I can bend the Bejesus out of them.

14. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I found this other GP article: GuitarPlayer: 5 Things About Strings which says most unwound strings are either plain or (nickel)plated steel - what do you get with pure nickel sets?Are the E B and G pure nickel? Clearly the core of the wound strings is not pure nickel.
    (Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the other 471 posts)

15. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Anybody pls?

16. psyoptica

psyoptica Junior Member

I tried the GHS pure nickel strings once and hated them. The wound strings were way quieter than the plain strings and it was really hard to slide around without your fingers getting stuck. Are these normal occurrences with pure nickel strings?

17. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Were they the Nickle Rockers or Burnished Nickle?

18. psyoptica

psyoptica Junior Member

Come to think of it, I think they were rollerwound strings. That explains the weird texture, but is it still normal for the wound strings to be a lot quieter?

19. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

I don't know cause I never used those types. I did you GHS Burnished Nickles and never had a problem with them.

20. 970harris

970harris Senior Member

In the "pure nickel" sets I've used (primiarly DR Pure Blues), the E, B, and G have been plain steel and the lower strings are made with nickel wire (actually, I believe, a nickel alloy but not nickel-plated steel) wound on steel cores.

Even though it seems misleading, the term "nickel wound" (as opposed to "pure nickel") generally implies that the wound strings consist of nickel-plated steel wire wound on a steel core.