Why we use Bourns Potentiometers @ Tone Man Guitar

Discussion in 'Vendor Classifieds' started by Tone Man Guitar, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Tone Man Guitar

Tone Man Guitar MLP Vendor

Hello MLP Members

Thought it was time for a little education on potentiometers and why I use Bourns. Been doing this for a long time and have used just about every manufactured pot out there. It’s all about using the very best product to insure my customers satisfaction. There are some great ones out there including CTS but I just prefer to continue using the Bourns brand for my customers.

Why …… I have found them to be smoother, longer lasting and have a better audio taper. One of the highest rated potentiometers on the market…… and best reason is my customers are happy and keep coming back for more.

Here are few technical reasons why Bourns potentiometers perform so well.

1) The resistive ink they use is of a higher quality and can handle more cycles through the life of the potentiometer. Result is a longer lasting pot.

2) They use certain ceramics that hold up better under stress and help provide long life of the potentiometer. Result again longer life.

3) The audio performance of the pot is directly related to the contact spring design and taper design. Other brands use various designs including a very popular button tip contact. With a button tip contact, there is limited surface contact to the resistive element. Bourns tend to keep their designs with multi-finger contacts in order to increase the element surface contact ratio and reduce output noise. They also use Bourns proprietary resistance ink blends to achieve the various tapers.

4) Bourns has made potentiometers since the 1947 and have more experience than anyone else when it comes to designing a potentiometer.

I do research on all the brands I use to make sure they are of the Highest Quality Available.

For those of you that have seen the recent post saying “Don’t settle for the B-brand pots or economy type upgrades”. I am still LOL on that one.

At the end of the day most customers are going to buy from the vendor they trust and feel more comfortable with. Our #1 priority at Tone Man Guitar is Your Satisfaction.

Hope this was helpful to everyone. If you ever have any questions about your guitar upgrade please feel free to reach back to us and Thank You MLP Members for all your support. We are here to help.

JCarno likes this.
  2. coilee

coilee Senior Member

I got my package today and I am very pleased. Thank you for the fast shipping and great parts. I am looking forward to installing them this week.

3. Tone Man Guitar

Great. Let me know how it turns out.

4. kherman

kherman Senior Member

I've had a tone man kit in one of my guitars for about a year and a half now.
    It's working great. No issues. Big improvement over the original electronics.
    The Bourns pots work just like the should.
    Thanks for a great product, tone man.

5. Tone Man Guitar

My pleasure. Glad you are enjoying it.

6. Tone Man Guitar

Thanks MLP Members!

7. Tone Man Guitar

Thank you MLP Members

8. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I'm always hearing great things about Bourns but I bought some and find the CTS feel's more solid when turned. The Bourns turn to easy with little resistance, just like more resistance when I adjust I guess.

9. Tone Man Guitar

Yes the Bourns pots are very easy to turn but I have not found that to be an issue. I like that and my customers have also responded that they like that feel. CTS pots are also excellent. Thank you for your input on this.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    yamariv likes this.
  10. Tone Man Guitar

Thank you MLP Members!

11. rmolsonguitars

rmolsonguitars MLP Vendor

I am with you on the Bourns pots... have used them in my line of Ollandoc guitars for several years and they are high quality...