Why the duct tape on Angus SG's from late 70's?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by K701, May 30, 2010.

1. K701

K701 Junior Member

I've seen on a couple of episodes of Greatest Guitarist on BBC2, that Angus's SG's have grey duct tape on them? I've seen it on the back previously, but tonight it was on the front as well? Any ideas? (Performance from '78-80)

2. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

running repairs, usually.

3. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Sweat. Major sweat. water logging sweat. The tape could help keep some sweat off of the internals and some parts of the wood body, that got nevertheless water logged.

4. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

It's part of how he gets his tone.

So much for thinning nitro giving tone if you have duct tape on your guitar.

5. Ride on a Pony

Ride on a Pony Senior Member

6. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Senior Member

Yeah, there are numerous stories about how the man is a sweat hog. And I don't mean one of these guys:

[​IMG]

7. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

:laugh2:

Seriously though, he DOES sweat A LOT! I saw one of his guitars awhile back, and the metal parts (screws, bridge posts, etc) were almost completely rusted away!:shock: Not to mention, the guitars themselves are like sponges, and absorb the brunt of it.

8. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I really think it's because of the sweat... :fingersx::naughty:

9. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

He used to tape the patch cord so it would be directed back and not create a "big loop" right at the guitar. Also, the rodies used to let the slack out onto the stage as Angus would run around, and then pull it back in as it became slack. So by taping it on the guitar it would limit the tension put on the input jack as the pulled it back in (in the event they pulled to hard)

The only other time he used duct tape, was on one of his first guitars, and that was to hold the toggle switch in the treble position. at least those are the only reasons I know for the Duct tape.

ll IrOn CiTy ll likes this.
  10. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

This was one of the ones I was thinking of

Attached Files:

11. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

Here is another one

Attached Files:

12. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

..... and here is a pic of Angus doing his famous " duct walk " :

[​IMG]

slapshot likes this.
  13. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

I dont see how the duct tape would have helped with sweat...? Like repell it off the guitar you mean, acting like a "tape condom"?

I dont think so, but I could be wrong. If it aint messing anything up on stage, I don't think they were too concerned about it. If the guitar got the rots, they would cross that bridge when they got there. I am sticking with my reasonings :)

14. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

I am will find you a picture with teh toggle taped, cant find it now, and its getting late.... Time to dream of front row and being showered with Angus sweat

15. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I could be wrong too, as I don't recall where (and if) I read it.
    I think they were putting large amounts of tape on the back, over the control cavity box, to prevent sweat from entering such box.
    I know for sure (this I read on Jaydee's article on Angus' guitar) that the roadies had (and now have) to literally dry the guitar(s) after the show using a hair drier, because of the massive amount of wet all over it. Control cavities, pickup cavities, wood itself would be soaking wet and the wood would rot away (so as metal parts) immediately.

But I do welcome any other possibility, as I am always re-searching and good info is always welcome for me :)

16. Dan

Dan Senior Member

From the photos, the tape is securing the guitar's input jack and cable plug together. Perhaps he was having a problem with the 1/4" plug coming out of the jack, so they just taped it down.

SFK likes this.
  17. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

The tape on the control cavity is an intersting one, I could definately see that being useful. I have never seen a photo of that though, does anyone out there have one?

I did know that the roadies/guitar tech, have to physically dry the guitar by any means necessary after the show (due to sweat and bodily fluids). That has also been explained why he takes 6-10 guitars on tour with him, not because of what he's "in the mood for", but they (techs) are often working on them. Read lots about it, but like i said, havent seen to many pics other than the ones of the patch cord and the toggle switch.

good thread guys

18. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I like this thread too. No foolish arguing, just listening to each other. The way it should be.

BTW Pancake, I found images of the control cavity (on the back) duct taped. Plenty of them on the 1980 concert movie (Let There Be Rock) in Paris. I am trying to freeze a decent frame for us all to see.

Here's a decent one:

Attached Files:

19. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

maybe the way he wings around his guitar, they were worried about the wireless unit coming apart? Not coming out of the jack, but physically coming apart. I think I read he was one of the first guys to go wireless.

20. Pancake81

Pancake81 Member

The tape was pre-wireless, but I can see where you are coming from. Funny you should mention him being one of the first guys to go wireless, It's almost like they made it specifically for him. Who else is runnign 23 miles at a 1 hour show :) !

Here's Angus writing in to a company,

"Dear patch cord company,

Could you please invent a device that allows me to run for an hour non-stop while a flail my body around and jump off 12 foot stacks with out gettign tangled up in my patch cord? I have gotten pretty used to it by now, and have come up with a few tricks to limit me from gettign tangled in it, minus when I spin on my back. but, my singer Bon just cant seem to stay away from the thing. Between dodging Cliff swinging the bass and Phil flicking boogers at me, I need something that allows me to do my job. Anything is better than my current set-up of a 150 ft cord.

Thanks,,
    Angus Young