Why not ship internationally?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by bfcg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

Well, what do you expect? Other sellers can get guitars over to Europe for a third of what you quote. Of course people are going to ask you to double check. They think you are trying to screw them out of $200.

A simple note in your auction (in a w-a-y more diplomatic tone than you have used here, I would advise) about how you only trust FedEx, and that they cost $300, and perhaps a link to their online quote, would put an end to all this. You could then continue to offer your guitars to everyone and get more bids on them. If you are willing to break your vow, that is.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I would love for you to tell me how other sellers can ship FEDEX for less than I can? And UPS is usually more than FEDEX. The cheapest is USPS, but it is still around $150. It costs $55 to ship an empty Lifton Case WITHIN the USA USPS priority mail. I get flack for that too. I am being told how it can't cost that much to ship an empty case. Well, I have sold several empty cases, and USPS priority mail is around $55. I could ship parcel post for less, but I don't. You know what I wish? That the buyer would be required to arrange shipping. That way they would know how much it costs. It must be a lot cheaper to ship from the East coast (where most dealers are) to Europe, than from AZ to Europe.

The reason I am not tactful is because I have been dealing with this for 8 years. Can you imagine how frustrating it is to KNOW how much it costs to ship, and yet people continue to accuse me of ripping them off on shipping charges? I am ANGRY about this!

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Check out post 86 on this thread:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/historics-reissues/28704-ups-has-lost-my-r7-black-beauty-3.html

Three quotes to ship a Les Paul USA to France. Again, you see I am right, and all those people who talk about how cheap it is to ship a Les Paul from the USA to Europe are full of shit!

POST 86: "I'll pay my new guitar tomorrow by paypal ! i was waiting for the UPS refund to arrive and tomorrow it will be on my bank account

about the shipping, the seller told me this :
    "I went to fedex and received a quote of $324.04. I went to UPS and received a quote of $451.01 (i would have refused anyway) and USPS priority of $173.08 So I am shipping it USPS International Priority 6 to 10 days."

Hope it will be fine "

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Even USPS is $173 NOT $100 as you imply. Have you ever shipped a $4000 Les Paul to Europe from the USA? Maybe a seller from the USA has only charged you $100 to ship to Sweden, but he had to EAT some of the costs himself.

5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

USPS International Priority is 6-10 days, FEDEX is 2-3 days. I rest my case. To anyone who complains about the price of $300 for shipping a $4000 guitar from USA to Europe, you just do not know what you are talking about .

6. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Once the girth plus length exceeds 108 inches, it is a whole new ballgame.
    USPS will not allow over $650.00 insurance in any of the international modes that I have tried.

7. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

Here is my example of international shipping...........yup. REAL CHEAP! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

The recipient's name is Guido Focke? That's gotta be Photoshop'd

:)

9. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

not a customer if they don't buy the item.
    norbe is 100% dead on correct. so deal with it

10. Mr.Burst

Mr.Burst Junior Member

Hi, Just putting in my 2 cents on this............new here.I was looking for a trade deal for a Yamaha SA2000 sold a guitar now to fund one,so good to go. I'm Minnesota,I found a great SA2000S in Winnipeg,Canada. I emailed the seller to buy the guitar with PayPal and it was a deal breaker he won't ship it to me. says he's not comfortable doing so.at $1,400.00+ since he listed it since in Dec. 08. I have a great Ebay profile many references............hell my brother is the sargeant of the police force here.still .............its his guitar he can do what he wants. frustrating though when you want something badly.

11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

He would not ship to you because you wanted to pay with Paypal? Or because you live in the US?

12. ASG

ASG Senior Member

Man this is becoming a serial episode of the Walton's with JimBob & Company!

Less fighting and more walking in the other's shoes please!!

JimBob's example of a cheap shipment to Euro via USPS was completely incomparable to the common scenarios we encounter here... no one is gonna take off a Les Paul or Taylor neck to ship it via USPS's cheap low cubic package method.

Norbe it would be cool with any reasonable buyer that you charge them the insurance and also they would be OK about your sole shipping method being FedEx if you state this in your auction and your rationale. If anyone bitches ignore 'em there are assholes in every country.

Mark I love that shipment to that Focke! I used to have a guitar student who was a huge Pacific Islander called Focka who one would be very concerned about walking by in a dark alley. One day when he turned up to his lesson I go "Hey how's you motha Focka?"
    No focka had ever dared say it to him before but 'cuz I was his cool guit teacher I got away with it :p

Peace guys!
    Hopefully USA will make peace with the world on more levels than just international guitar shipments :p

Goodnight Grandma, Goodnight JimBob.....

13. Mr.Burst

Mr.Burst Junior Member

Hi, Well regarding the Yamaha Sa2000s he was looking for a trade to begin with but I really didn't have anything he was looking for so that was that. later I sold a guitar had the cash to just buy it using Pay Pal. he just said he was not comfortable shipping the guitar...........never explained as to why that was. I bought another Yamaha from a nice seller in New Brunswick about a month ago using Pay Pal.we talked on the phone several times regarding the guitar.I sent the payment and he shipped it Fed Ex.........it left on the 14 of December I got it on the 22 and the guitar is a beauty.so it CAN work well,know your buyer know your seller and communicate. check with Customs and with your shipper regarding costs so there are no suprises.