Why not ship internationally?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by bfcg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ASG

ASG Senior Member

Pretty sure this isn't legally correct. Maybe the American couriers asked for your details to try and muscle you and make it easier for them to collect in the event of non payment. In the end they can't force you to pay though. If it lands in say France or Australia and the buyer doesn't pay for customs clearance, tax or in some cases fumagation (in case of wood diseases borers etc) then the product would be auctioned off to pay those fees.

Hey it may be back in ebay! The Circle of Life! lol

Any "foreigner" who doesn't know about these fees is either a liar, a dreamer or a very rare retard.

Easy way to cover yourselves....... insist on buyer pays you extra for full insurance, buyer agrees, in writing, that he is liable for customs and any fees or taxes and freight ($400 to some countries!).

If he wants to pay by credit card then insist on paypal to a paypal verified address.

No problemo

2. Boshizzle

Boshizzle Senior Member

One other thing, make sure you require signature confirmation of delivery if using paypal. Anything less and paypal or the credit card company will refund the buyer's money on the buyer's word that the item wasn't received.

3. gui524

gui524 Senior Member

I'm just kidding ... when I went to the USA ( 2 times already ) everybody treated me nice ... BUT the guys from outlets

4. teddy07x

teddy07x Member

Make sure the country you send to is approved by PayPal. I ran into a problem with paypal and ebay when a guy bid on a set of speakers and wanted em sent to the Philipines. Then I got a letter from ebay that the buyer had been hacked by some dude. And since I had sent the goods to a NON PayPal approved country I would have to cover the loss myself. This happened over the course of a week or so. So I'd already debited the paypal account. And got away with it.

As far as I know, as long as the buyer has the registered paypal account and is in a country that paypal and ebay covers. I see no reason why not to ship overseas.

Scandinavians, and british people try to buy a lot on ebay because guitars and equipment in general are a lot cheaper. My advice would be to charge a little extra for international handling. They don't mind it. Since there are so few people who are willing to ship international.

You could put the extra money in the bank and save it up till the day comes when someone manages to screw you over? :)

just a thought. But anyways, I'm european and I do know a lot of people who constantly try to buy guitars from the US without any luck.

You could prolly make a fortune running a mail service system for europeans shopping on ebay.

5. siore

siore Senior Member

Care to elaborate on that? I got paypal and got items shipped to me from ebay no problem. Not paypal approved?? :shock:

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

All I get is whining when I tell them how much it is going to cost to ship. I have never not had in endure that.

7. ASG

ASG Senior Member

Hey Norb if you get that I am sorry. Either they are the rare ignorant dickheads or maybe you are using the ebay calculator which ends up charging TWICE what is says on USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service). A lot of guys do that & try & screw overseas people.

I whinge when I get that!

8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Senior Member

This is pretty much what just happened to me. Got contacted by someone for my ebay auction for a Kramer guitar asking if I would ship to Ireland and if so how much. I said I am not sure, but would look into it. Before I even responded he sent a message saying he had quotes for around $100 from other people in the States selling similar guitars.
    Right there I knew it was going to be an issue. No way in bloody hell it only costs $100!!! Hell some guitars I have shipped cross country cost me around $60, let alone going International over to Ireland.
    I mentioned that, told him the UPS calculator gave me $250 and I gave him all the parameter I used (value, dimensions, weight, etc)....he still thinks it should be no more than $120. Sorry no deal then.

9. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

My stuff usually goes over seas for around $120.00. Thats because the dimensions are smaller than a whole guitar. My necks are not attached to the body yet.
    If you sell a bolt on, would you consider unbolting it?

10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

No I HAVE shipped Internationally to people who know me. I use FEDEX, and I get quotes from their site, which turn out to be 100% accurate. Even EBAY tells me I am charging too much, until I give them the link to the quote. EVERY time I post the International shipping costs, I get tons of complaints. EVERY time I list to USA only, I get loads of requests to ship Internationally, then I give them the quote, and they complain (even after I tell them the REASON I do not offer International shipping is because of the complaints)

It takes about $300 to ship and insure a $3500 Les Paul to Europe FEDEX. Then they come back saying it is only $90 to ship with so and so, or so and so only charged me this much, or I have bought several guitars from the US, and shipping was only so and so. If this happened to you every time, I think you would stop offering it too.

11. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

Norbe - with all due respect, if it costs $300 to ship a guitar, how come lots of sellers can do it for $120? I'm sure they aren't taking a $180 hit and I'm sure they don't all have accounts with FedEx or UPS. There has to be a cheaper, secure way of sending them.

Unrelated to the paragraph above, I once had a (very lightweight, admittedly) Fender Jazz Bass Special sent US-Sweden with tracking and insurance for $50. Yes, $50. He took the neck off, wrapped it really well and boxed it (using materials he had lying about, so he kindly/foolishly didn't charge me for that). I asked him to double check the price, but nope...he was adamant it was $50. When it got here, in perfect condition and with its short journey fully tracked online, the box had a hair under $50 of postage on it too. USPS, I think. Nice.

12. led better

led better Senior Member

I'd ship something significant internationally, but there's just no way in hell I'm spending an hour of my time doing paperwork/standing in line for a $50 pedal.

But chances are that if it's something of significant value, the buyer will want you to make false statements (which happen to be illegal) on the customs forms, so that they don't get hit with import duties. But then you can't insure it for what it's worth, so if anything happens, one of you will be getting screwed.

I can sure see why so many folks say "continental US".

13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

You see!!! It even happens here, people telling me that "I can ship it for so and so" You see I do not use USPS. I WILL not use USPS. I do not use UPS, I do not use DHL. I USE FEDEX. And I ONLY use FEDEX. I make it clear on my auctions I ONLY use FEDEX. There is no way someone can ship and insure a $3500 Les Paul from the USA (west coast) to Europe for $120 FEDEX. For me to ship a Lifton case IN the US from west coast to east coast, is $55 and that is a quote from USPS.

The majority of the US population is on the East coast. And by far most of the Ebayers and guitar dealers are too.

I will say it again, for me to ship a Les Paul to Europe FEDEX is $300. It is about $400 to Australia or the mid East.

14. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

I've shipped internationally a few times and the transactions were great. But I've experienced all of what Norbe mentioned from prospective international buyers and I decided that it is not worth the hassle. I'm not operating a business.

15. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

Has it never occured to you to offer to use a cheaper shipper which offers the same service, thus making your customers happier? Heaven forbid you should help people who want to give you their money!

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

As the shipper I pay for the insurance, I file the claim if something goes wrong. The shipment is MY responsibility, so NO, the buyer does not get to choose the carrier. If they want to ARRANGE shipping, then they can choose any carrier they want.

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

USPS has limits on insurance. Also limits on package size depending on company, and they are slow. Once the package is handing off to the next country from USPS, then you are screwed. FEDEX is trackable all the way, and if something happens THEY are easier to deal with than various foreign country's postal service. Does that satisfy you? You see CUSTOMERS do not have the experience that SELLERS do. Customers just pay the money, sit back and wait.

18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I sell Les Pauls in the $3500-$5500 range, and if I find it silly that someone is concerned about paying $300 for FEDEX to their door in 2-3 days, fully insured and fully trackable. USPS is a nightmare for International claims. You have to consider worse case senario. If there is trouble, the buyer will expect me to take care of it. (rightfully so) So I get to choose with whom I use as a carrier. Now for smaller items, I use USPS. Ones I can afford to eat if something happens.

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

In fact I have an auction right now, and a guy from France wants to know why I do not ship Internationally, I told him because people do not want to pay what it costs me to ship FEDEX. He said he would, until I gave him a quote. He thinks I am lying. He gives me the story about all the guitars he has bought from the US and shipping was HALF that or less. I am telling you this happens every fuckin' time. I do not ship $4000 Les Pauls with USPS! For some reason they cannot aford $300 for shipping, but they can afford the risk of shipping USPS!! Some people are just penny wise and pound foolish.

20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Just got another guy from UK who thinks my $300 is too much to ship to UK, he asked me to double check. Well I did, and guess what? Of the three rates rates FEDEX offers it ranges from $317-$398 insured. UPS is more, USPS is much less. I DO NOT USE USPS for Les Pauls. I vow to NEVER offer International bidding ever again on Les Pauls on Ebay.