Why not ship internationally?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by bfcg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I thought there was a 7-day waiting period from date of payment....:hmm:

2. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

UK may be one thing, but alot of europe has size limitations making shipping difficult.

3. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

I can understand why people don't ship international due to the hassles and also protecting themselves from any possible frauds.

Lucky for us, our local postal company have set up a courier service for us to be able to buy things from US that won't ship overseas, have them ship to the postal company in US and they'll ship it to us. Very very useful indeed.. :thumb:

4. ASG

ASG Senior Member

Now now Mark you of all people having a Black Beauty at home and now an Kenyan President shouldn't be racially prejudiced!

I am pretty sure that in countries were paypal has a local presence like Australia (paypal.com.au) that if the delivery address is paypal verified that the seller is covered against all including credit card charge backs.

Time for world peace and harmony not just within USA imo.

All the best my Yankee friends the change looks positive!

5. gpselmer

gpselmer Member

Hi there
    Just a quick comment : on my side, I live in France and to make things easier, I subscribed to a US site called MyUS.com.
    It's pretty convenient : for a yearly fee you have a street adress in the US (not A PO box, a real street adress). You buy everything you want in the US, get it shipped there, the store them for you and when you want them shiped to you, they pack it all in a box and DHL them to you within a flash : yes, it costs money (you pay both shipping : US adress to US adress shipping + US to Europe shiping), but it's really convenient for us, european loosers :)

Works well for guitars
    Best regards
    G.P

6. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

I bought an 80's Jap Fender Strat on ebay from a guy in Tokyo. Cost me Au$650 (about US$420) including shipping and got to me here in Australia 4 days after I paid. Japan is closer to Sydney than the US I guess, but there are loads of Japan sellers that ship here with no fuss. When I've tried to get stuff sent to me from the States.........well, it's just never happened.

I saw a few things on Chris' Guitars site in Albany N.Y. & I sent about 20 emails without any response, eventually phoning him up. Bottom line was that he just wasn't really interested. I've had similar responses from other US sellers.

Yep, it may take a little extra time.....a trip to the post office or whatever.....but if someone is interested enough in something to contact you several times from the other side of the world then they probably really do want to buy. I've been left feeling my money isn't good enough or something. I've been willing to pay the agreed price - otherwise I wouldn't have contacted the sellers.

Maybe I'm taking this a bit personally - I guess its a bit frustrating being somewhere where guitars cost around 3 times the US retail, and some models you just can't get at all.

7. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

When I sell stuff, I sell to anyone who is willing to pay for the item. I don't dismiss everyone from one country because of a few bad experiences with citizens of that country (look up "racism" or "xenophobia" in the dictionary). I set up clear and concise postage rates for everywhere in the world, so there shouldn't be any questions or problems. I've never been scared of my post office. I simply go during off-peak hours. I have scales here (bathroom scales for larger things, small scales for smaller) so I know how much things weigh, so I know how much they cost to send (which I worked out before listing on Ebay), so time in the post office is kept to a minimum.

There are over six billion people in the world. If I'm selling something, I want all of them to have a chance to give me their money. I don't send before receiving payment, and thus I have not been burned.

8. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Maybe, but when an order is placed with all kinds of custom upgrades, it is 3-7 days before it even leaves the shop.

9. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Most of my sales are from outside the US.
    The only bad experience I have had (that is not necessarily unique to int'nl shipping)
    was damage by the carrier.
    The buyers could be cool or dicks, where ever they live.

10. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

:laugh2:

Too funny ASG!

OK, I ment international transactions to an unverified addy are not covered under PayPal's umbrella.

11. circusboy28

After reading through this maybe I can buy through one of you guys next time? I won't be in the market again for another six months or so.

12. gui524

gui524 Senior Member

It's because most guys from the North don't want us ( from South America ) to have the g0dz g34rz !!

Iz jast kudding

13. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

It's not a question that we don't like other countries.........it's the import/export laws and the legal issues that create such a problem.........not the purchaser.

True story....when I shipped that guitar to Germany.......I didn't have the buyers Social Security Number (nomenclature?).........so, I had to give them mine in case the reciever didn't pay his duties.........I could have been responsible for HIS Taxes!

It's the system NOT the players.

14. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I had a neck break going to Germany, plus the guy had to pay $500.00 to pick up the guitar from the post office.

15. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

OK, I have a U.S. made tube amp that is probably in high demand outside of the U.S. I've been thinking about running an international auction for this amp. My reasoning: more possible buyers = more possible bids. So, exactly how should I do this? What form of payment should I accept? How many layers of protection is required for packing? Exactly what paperwork do I need to fill out on my end? Is insurance needed? If so, how is an international claim handled?

16. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

All tubes to be packed seperatly.
    Check Buyers feedback. It should have recent activity and not for baseball cards and trinkets. Ship only to verified address.
    List amp on customs forms exactly as it is and the true value.
    Dont fall into that could you put a lesser value on it or send as a gift.
    Certain modes of delivery will not insure over a certain amount (international express tops out at $650.00 or something). I sometimes have to send as 2 packages when possible. Check out all of the shipping options before you quote shipping.
    Paypal may not protect you for international sales.
    You can list in certain countries and prohibit others. Go for the countries that paypal will protect you in. Australia, Canada and some others. International money orders in USD (assuming you are in the US)
    Good luck.

17. circusboy28

An amp is a very different proposition to a guitar.

18. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

...especially when you take the voltage into concern. Europe is on 230/240V.

If you state that the amp is on 110V and will require a step-down transformer for it to work in Europe, that customs charges etc are the responsibility of the buyer and you have no idea how much they will be (it varies from country to country), you will most likely be covered from any real moaning.

As for packaging, pack it as you should pack anything. A delivery worker is going to have seen a million different packages. The novelty has worn off. Anyone who handles the package between you and the buyer is not going to baby it. If you think you can pack an amp in a bit of cardboard and expect it to survive a trip from A to B, you are wrong, regardless of where A and B are in relation to each other. You will need to pack it so it could be slapped about a bit and still be in the same condition as before. Hard protection (cardboard), shock protection (those packing peanut thingies, or balls of paper, or polystyrene things etc), and, if you want to be cool, water protection (plastic bags).

Good luck!

19. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

What amp is it? :hmm:

I have brought and sold internationally and it has been fine, as long as its packed well and insured you can't go wrong. the guy that shipped me a 68 DR did a GREAT job with packing. USPS is who it was sent with. On Ebay if you do a deal I usually get paid via paypal but it can take about a week for cash to clear but somtimes I do deals direct into my bank. As I'm from the UK the best shit is usually in the USA so I'm always buying from you guys!

Im in the final stages of shipping my Stinger over to NYC, so Its all packed up ready and fully insured so im not worried.

As the seller all you do is call your shipping company and tell them the weight value and size of teh package and they will ask you for where they are picking it up from and where its going and give you a quote..

I had a Twin Reverb and I shipped it to Switzerland.. that was worrying as it had JBLs and the weight was like a TON. Anyway, as the guys say you take all tubes out and pack them in bubble wrap then wrap them up in box in back of the amp.. its fun packing stuff for international Freight !

I have a Marshall that would be popular in the USA so I'm looking to send that there too

20. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

SigX