Why not ship internationally?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by bfcg, Jan 19, 2009.

1. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Why do some US sellers refuse to ship outside of the US? Am I missing something like some sort of hassle or scam?
    Just wondering.

2. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I find it is just so much easier shipping within the boundaries of the 48 continental states. I can photograph, list and sell my items from the comfort of my own home, then print the shipping label on my own computer and printer, then just hand the package to the mail carrier.
    International shipping, at least for me, requires a separate trip to the Post Office, standing in line, and filling out the forms by hand; all very time consuming.
    That is my reasoning.

3. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I do all that at home including the custom forms online. Then I give it to the carrier or drop it off myself.
    I live just outside of a small mountain town and there is never a line.
    So far it seems avoiding hassles with post office.
    It seems Most of my sales are international so I have to do it. I just dont want to get blindsided by some scam or something that I have not heard of.

4. singlecut

singlecut Senior Member

pack up a historic les paul , bring it down to ups and try shipping it to lets say, germany.
    there you will find your answer, it's pain in the ass.

5. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

Haha yeah! Been there done that, I get Les Pauls and amps from USA to UK all the time.. wont use UPS again though

6. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

yeah, but I get real frustrated with US sellers that refuse to ship to Canada.

7. calibud

calibud Senior Member

That is where I come in handy. I am about an hour from the border. We get packages all the time from friends that live in Canada that don't want to pay the extra 30-40 bucks to deal with customs. Then they just stop by and pick em up. The lady that does it most often was caught off guard when I sent a box with her to ship. I sent a set of straplocks to a member from here to Canada saved about 25 bucks, for a $13 set of straplocks. So if you need or want something I can be a border jumper (I hope that isn't gramatically incorrect, if so I'll change it) for you. I do require a 7 day free trial period to test out all gear.

8. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I see your point. Luckily my stuff has been going in two peices lately.
    I get all of my packaging from GC and other guitar shops.(dumpster diving)
    I did have a neck break that was not even attached to the body.
    Coincidently it was going to Germany. Good thing for me it was replaceable because all of the necks I make for LP's are interchangable.
    The insurance paid for the replacement.

9. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

This is the biggest frustration I encounter, there are so many nice guitars for sale that won't be shipped internationally. Then again, it hinders my GAS from running completely wild.

10. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

If it's US made product, under NAFTA it comes in duty free. Shipping by USPS, through Canada Post, has little or no customs brokerage fees. If it's under $20 US, there isn't even sales tax on it. I've even had more expensive stuff than that just hit the mailbox with no charge at all.
    And all you need for paperwork at USPS is a little green sticker that declares what it is and its value. It's dead easy, and cheap on our end, through the post office.

11. VastHorizon

VastHorizon Senior Member

You're in Alberta, right Dwagar? In Ontario, they'll slap you with a lot of taxes...

12. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I'll keep that im mind for Canadian shipments.

13. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

you guys probably don't get to drive around with rifle racks in the back window of your pickups either, right?

j/k

That could be different, since we only pay GST (5%), they may not watch like they do in provinces where they have PST added.

14. RCCola

RCCola Premium Member

For me, shipping large items is a hassle w/o going international. I don't need the additional hassle of going international.

I've had items broken during shipping within the U.S. and it was a nightmare trying to get my insurance claim paid. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a shipping insurance claim from another country.

Additionally, the small items I have sent internationally have always been held at customs for a week or two. It's stress I don't need.

I'll ship to Canada, but I usually give US buyers a chance before I sell to somebody in Canada.

15. calibud

calibud Senior Member

Hey just as long as I can play with it for a day or two. I usually don't head to Canada that often but we get enough people stoppin by it's like a post office here. Cept I don't mlae any money and women don order fun stuff.

16. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I look for cool ebay Sellers with high feedback, that do ship to Canada. Never had a problem. It is nice that there are Sellers who want to deal with me. I find it odd tho that we have the worlds longest unprotected border, but our Governments can`t make deliveries from either end, less of a pain in the azz.

17. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

I've done exactly that!

I shipped my LP Ultima to Duesseldorf Germany.

It WAS a pain in the ass and cost me $575.00.......I have a reciept. :wow:

Besides, if something went haywire with the payment.....being a international transaction.....you might not get your money back. Even PayPal refuses to accept responsibility on an internationall transaction.

18. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Simple, my experience with International bidders is, they want to tell you who to ship with, how much it should cost, and they want you to declare lesser value on the customs forms. Most do not accept that it costs about $300 or more to ship FEDEX and they want you to find a cheaper carrier. In short, they are cry-babies. They go on about "others have only charged me $80 to ship to UK, why are you charging $300?" Then I show them the online quote and never hear from them again. This happens EVERY FUCKING TIME I offer International bidding. And when I do not offer it, I get emails from people begging me to let them bid, sometimes I give in, tell them the terms, and viola, they do not bid anyway. If you had my experiences, you would never offer International bidding either.

19. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

If you set yourself up to where bidders in countries outside of your selling region cannot bid, they just open a profile on the US eBay site to try to circumvent you.
    I had an instance recently where I was asked if I would ship to the Dominican Republic. I kindly replied that I do not. The auction was won by a bidder registered in New York, with the name now_living_in_the _dominican_republic. The item was never paid for, I believe out of spite.
    Another item was bid on and won by an out of country bidder who was registered in the USA. I never got paid for that one either.

20. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

I did have a guy that wanted me to insure for a lesser value and said he would accept responsibility. I dont do that.
    I have one guy that files a claim with paypal as soon as the item ships "so he could get a head start just in case". In the meantime it ties up the money in paypal. What an asshat.
    Needless to say, that guy will be blocked from bidding on my stuff ever again.