Why no love for the Line 6?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Big Mark, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soulssky

soulssky Member

I'll bring my harps....you can get all Macchio on him....I'd bring my guit, but I'd just embarrass myself.....

2. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

I got some bongos!

3. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

[​IMG]

4. mattymel

mattymel Senior Member

so now im a phony because i havent "jammed with neil young"? you got me there, pal. that one stung a little bit. as far as my duds, i would venture that they turned out a little more lucrative than your gig at BW3's. my beer and wings dayss were over in high school. i could list the countires i have played in, but you probably havent heard of them. i would love to hear your take on some of the "slow" songs i have on the site i use for getting wedding gigs. especially the sonatina meredional. its really slow and boring, you should be able to knock it off in no time.
    i dont need a website for my other stuff as its on itunes. and i get other non wedding gigs by word of mouth. you all assume that i am some classical player. the reality is im not a classical OR a jazz player. i can do that stuff, and i do do it for money regularly. just because i can play jazz/classical, and dont like PODs, you assume i am a snob. if you are all so great, lets hear some of your recordings. back it up. all i have heard so far are a few really bad SRV hendrix mixed with heavy metal production wannabes and then crickets...i will try and do some kind of redhouse this week (as soon as i get my LP back tomorrow). im sure when i put it up you'll all say i sound like crap. the reality is, i can probably do what you do as well if not better than you. but you cant even begin to try to do what i can do as a player. if you can lets hear it. keep in mind this all started because i said i ripped pods a bit.

5. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Frankly, I could give a crap about your musical abilities, I just think you're a douchebag. Nobody gives a crap about you or your alleged accomplishments. If this forum is a joke and you have nothing positive to contribute, then get out. You will not be missed.

6. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Blah...blah...blah...blah...you're a guitar teacher and wedding singer. Congratulations...you've hit the big time! Give yourself a big pat on the back and STFU! :thumb:

7. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

No. We assume you're a snob based on your lack of respect or even common sense as displayed in your writing. Effectively your own speech has brought you to this point. You talk like a douchebag, therefore we think you're a douchebag. It's not rocket science.

8. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I went to iTunes and did a search on "Elephant Eyelash"...

The music is not my cup of tea, but I listened to a demo of every song on the album. I liked 3 songs on it:

- Sand Dollars
    - Light Leaves
    - Speech Bubbles

The guitar is relegated to a rhythm position behind the keyboard, which leads the band for the most part. Those three songs above stood out for me, as the guitar has some pretty good parts, although they are pretty far back in the mix. I'll give credit where it's due. Tastefully-done rhythm guitar parts.

As for the band; non-sensical white-boy college poetry. :D Sounds to me very similar to the band CAKE, except their guitar is more up front, and they have horns. :D Not that Why? is bad, but the audience for that would be pretty small, and mostly limited to college campuses, I would think. I listened to some other music on an album called 'Eskimo Snow' (post-Matty?) and it was just awful, except for a song called January Twenty Something--it had some neat guitar movement in the background doubling the piano.

I'd have listened to more but I have to get ready for work. I'd encourage some reviews from others--I didn't get to listen to the 'Sanddollars' or 'Rubber Traits' EPs...

BB

9. Louie

Louie Senior Member

I was going to post my view on Line6, but the thread is now in a different galaxy than the OP's questions. :D

10. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Yeah, we solved that by page two, I think. :D

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

It's interesting that all you can attempt to contribute here is a string of insults against anyone who engages you, Matty. I swear you're probably the most miserable dude I've ever run across on this forum.

Look at the pics on your site. You look absolutely miserable, like you're getting no joy whatsoever out of your guitar. I kinda feel bad for you, man, because you look like you'd get just as much satisfaction out of peeling vegetables or digging fence posts.

Now you can answer this post with another string of insults about how your gigs are better than mine and subtle digs at my musicianship - in fact I'm sure you will. Have at it, make yourself feel better.

As bad as you think my gigs are - hell, as bad as you think my playing is - at least I can say I get some satisfaction out of what I do. Playing guitar makes me happy. I realize you think I suck. No big deal, people have told me I suck before. I'm a big boy, and I can handle that.

In your list of accomplishments and travel, nowhere do I get any impression that anything you do makes you less of a grumpy bastard than you've revealed yourself to be on this forum.

That's really pretty sad.

I might be wrong, and you may be very content with what you do. If so, great. But I just don't get that impression from you.

I wish you luck with your gigs, and I hope they bring you some kind of satisfaction.

- D

12. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

+1. I'm a mediocre player at best. I never expect to make any money playing or singing. But I have a hell of a good time playing.

If you're not getting joy out of playing, then why are you playing? It should be fun, not work.

(by the way, it's "Johnny B. Goode" from your "angst ridden" time learning the song)

13. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I may not be on iTunes, but when I play people have a good time, and dance.

I would think the clinking of coffee cups to saucers, the din of conversation, and sound of cutlery on plates would get irritating, and tend to suck the joy out of playing--even if you're getting paid well to do it. It takes all kinds, however.

I do tend to agree with NY...the pictures are rather dark; a rather Bohemian feel...I'm surprised there's no pic of you in a beret. Ok, that was a joke...sorry. :D

You can be a serious musicain and still smile when you play. ;)

BB

14. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

WTF is going on in here? Have you guys all been at the funny mushrooms again?

15. Louie

Louie Senior Member

[​IMG]

:D

16. Big Mark

Big Mark Senior Member

LMFAO...... but hell, this is more fun than debating valve Vs SS Vs modeling lol

17. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

18. Maestro and the Muse

Maestro and the Muse Senior Member

Geez, guys. It took me almost 30 minutes to get caught up on this.

I checked out 'Elephant Eyelash' myself. I couldn't find much guitar work (back in the mix, as BB said). It was very college 'indie pop' to my ears. Faint whiffs of Pilate (now Pilot Speed) and MGMT, something I quite enjoy, but that's mainly the keyboard. The vocalist isn't what I'd listen to by choice (an even more depressed death cab), but then again, I'm a sucker for female voices, and I tend to work exclusively with them primarily because of that. The band doesn't do it for me. I could listen to it, as I can listen to anything, but it doesn't have that unique sparkle that would make me put it on repeat.

On the topic of POD amps, when I was with "Sargasso Sea" (now defunct) and "Monuments and Statues" (YGK/Imagine That Records), we used to use a Flextone for our tiny bar gigs. It wasn't anything special, but it got the job done. I think Jason still uses that Flex for their gigs, and probably carted it with them to the recent Pitter Patter Festival in Toronto. It served us well, but I'd use my Peavey Classic 30 anywhere I go now.

For POD in general, we used a POD X3 Live for the most recent 'Maestro and the Muse' album (see sig, but that's about half the album). My vocalist and I recorded this in a weekend at my computer. Needless to say, it needs a re-record to be professional, but we're happy about it for the mean time (she's 1000 miles away right now, so we have to be). The point I should be making is that the signature :)laugh2:) Maestro 'bell chime' strat tone comes from my go-to POD setting. It speaks to ALL the guitars I own, something I never thought I'd find. If you spend time with it, the pod will reward you, and ALWAYS faster than a BOSS GT.

19. csparks75

csparks75 Senior Member

Wow, what a thread....

Matt, it's ok that you don't like PODs. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. There's plenty of gear I don't like, but I certainly don't bash people or put them down because of their gear choice, or even the style of music they play.

I'm not a professional, and I don't gig out. My life went more in the family direction, but I have to say I know guys like you all too well. I went to a school FULL of dudes just like you. Maybe you've heard of it? University of North Texas I've known dudes in the 1:00 Lab Band, I've had teachers that were nominated for Grammies (Mike Bogle) and I must say that I know your affliction. It's called "mycockisbiggerthanyoursitis". Your best bet is to go seek therapy now, as your case has progressed to the point where you don't even realize you're being a jerk. Seriously, you could have just said something like "Hey, sorry guys, I was out of line...I'm just not a fan of Line6 or any modeling gear and I'm passionate about the stuff I use" and it would have all gone away. This place is cool like that. However, even your apology reeked of ultramegasnobism.

Sure, I am most certainly wasting my time on this post, but I just wanted you to know that the attitude you have is going to keep you playing weddings for a looooong time. You may be fine with that, but from what I read earlier, I don't think you are very comfortable doing that gig all the time.

Ok, that's my rant. Carry on.

20. Frankie A.

Frankie A. Senior Member

[​IMG]

There's going to be a showdown !

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.