Why Never Any POD HD Talk

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Oct 31, 2015.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah, me either until I started this journey.. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  2. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Are you going to buy a Helix too????? :laugh2::hmm:

1 person likes this.
  3. frankv

Ya never know.,, right now I don't need a floor switching system.. most likely if I did I would get the Fractal AX8

4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

franky,

Recently, I have heard (and met) Steve Howe several times. He does use a line 6 amp as you describe, and sounds just GREAT! With all my tube amps, I will never sound anywhere near as good. And on Line 6 amps, I just suck. Then, I heard (live) a "cult band" I like named Abney Park and their guitarist Josh Goering, who used some sort of pod through a PA system. His notes were spot on, but his tone was scratchy and fizzy. I like your posts about using the right speakers with modelers. But I also think that a player needs to do some re-learning to switch from tubes to modelers. Goering and his band fly to gigs, and a pod has clear logistic advantages in that environment. His recordings are clearly made on a tube amp and, from hearing Steve Howe, it is clear that Goering just hasn't learned how to use a pod yet. So, FWIW, I think that players who might be interested in pods and other modelers for portability just need to learn to use the right speakers, and learn the proper techniques to sound good on them.

1 person likes this.
  5. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

The amp is a Bogner Valve amp - valve pre amp and valve power amp...

Furthermore :)naughty:), despite having the ability to emulate an amplifier digitally with the convenience this provides, he has opted to mic his valve amp! with 2 mics! :laugh2:

BTW, I have some amp sims coming with a new soundcard, which I'm looking forward to trying - they're Steinberg. While no where near the level of the Axe, I still think I'll get plenty of use out of them.

1 person likes this.
  6. frankv

Hey there Hog.. Whats up today? Thanks for the correction. I suppose all that matters with reference to this thread is the fact that Steve is running a Low end POD HD500 for...... and again i will quote him from the video

"I don't carry anything else. This is where I make my sound. "

Saying that as he is referencing the POD sitting on the floor. So when guys discount this piece of equipment as so many have, it's important to remember GIANTS.. (and there are many besides Steve using a POD straight into FOH).. are using this and have moved off of tubes for various reasons.. I am sure one of those reasons is because the current level of technology allows it because the sound is so good.

So yesterday I'm sitting in the same watering hole with my same favorite Shane Duncan band. The lead guitarist comes over to chat with me at the bar and brings over a new HD300. He says.

"I got 300 shows out of the old one. The wah finally gave up the ghost."

I said

"You already dumped all your presets into the new POD?"

He said

"No, i'll do that later when I get on stage.. It will only take a minute"

Pretty incredible to have backup flexibility like that.. don't ya think Hog? So as I am sitting there and the show starts I start thinking.. When the entire band is playing.. could anyone and I mean anyone, tell that they were playing out of a POD with no amps at all. Everything into FOH.. and certainly the answer to that is NO. The quality of the PA now becomes the weak link and not the amplification method being used on stage.

I can't wait to hear your review on the amp sims.. got any more info about it?

7. frankv

YES had been my favorite band since I was 15. At that time I started playing BASS and Chris Squire was my hero. I even had a Rick 4001 in blonde like Chris played. They were GIANTS in their day.. I know I wore out my copy of Close To The Edge.

Steve Howe is so underrated it's not even funny. You will never hear anyone include him when asked who are their 5 best guitarists. But his playing style was and is unmatched when it comes to the level of technique he applies to his playing. You don't have a pentatonic wanker when you speak of Steve and I have enjoyed every passage he has created.

So when someone, you know, an internet expert of sorts says, PODS suck and you need a tube amp to sound good.. I will just point them to Steve Howe and Steve Vai as examples of how that couldn't be more false..

I am a perfect example of this "internet expert" because I have only had and played Tube Amps.. All kinds and Vintage too. There was a time when my recommendation would always be the same. I would say "Buy a early 80s JCM 800 and be done with it" Little did I know that the advice I gave was not the best advice for a vast number of players who would be better suited using newer, more flexible technology...

I will quote my friend Marshalls and Moonshine..

"When the drummer kicks blah blah blah" hahahahahah

8. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Hey Frank, I'm just having fun - not knocking the HD500 at all. I too used to really enjoy listening to Yes - I say used to because I'd just forgotten over the years.
    Looking at the Line6 Helix - I am really interested in that, maybe one day - it's the user interface that really appeals.

The amp sims are the Yamaha ones that ship with Steinberg preamps - they can be used standalone or as a plug in. I've not used them before, but the reviews of them seem OK - definitely something I can make use of. There's 4 amp models: some sound better than the others. I definitely have the mentality of 'use everything that is available'.
    I keep an eye on this thread because I do hope some sort of group can be set up for modelers on this forum- and tips/ settings, etc, how to get the best out of certain bits of gear, whether low end or high end would be a great addition to the forum; for me, particularly for recording. Instead of amp vs amp sim, one or the other, how about approaches that use both, for example (a bit like using drum samples blended with a recorded drum track).

1 person likes this.
  9. frankv

Hey Hog.. Yeah man. I would love a modeler section to this room. Its been requested already. I'm wondering why it has not been created cause it's really a good idea...

I'm really digging my Axe Fx. If nothing else it makes me play longer and with more interest. No longer do I suffer from poor sound because I can't really get my JCM's cranked up without harnessing them with attenuators. Kind of liberating.

10. KenG

KenG Senior Member

There's still a lot of prejudice against modellers. Guitarists are only human too as are the Mods and beliefs are hard to change.
    I too would like to see a section for modellers and we'll wait and see what happens.
    I wrote decent review for another forum on my Blackstar ID60 TVP last year and it was declined. As I had many gear reviews approved & posted prior to that one on that forum on more traditional gear. I realized my enthusiasm for the amp and it's non-traditional construction was scoffed at by the mods on that forum and didn't sit right with their sensibilities. So no go.
    Hopefully that doesn't happen here to your request.

1 person likes this.
  11. frankv

Yeah, I have been calling that "Closed Minded Disease" :hmm::shock:

12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I found a Chapman Video with the Helix and one of the comments on this or the other thread was the guitar you use doesn't matter.
    Well that's not true and shows a lack of understanding on how these work.

At 33:00 minutes or so the Line 6 fellow plays his Strat through a patch and then immediately switches to a Les Paul without changing anything.
    What's cool is the tones change just like they would in a normal amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fBuSjDnCw

1 person likes this.
  13. frankv

Yeah I do remember that comment. But I think the poster adjusted that view or was misunderstood.

In any case I'm all in on this technology and wish I had purchased this year's ago. This is so liberating to have access to hundreds of amps and thousands or IRs to tweak and tune my sound to how I feel that day.

14. frankv

I'll tell u a what. Just like I have had multiple amps. I'm going to get a Helix too.. thats nice equipment.