Why Never Any POD HD Talk

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Oct 31, 2015.

1. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

dbl post

2. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

:shock: Dude, I get lost with, the four control nobs & pup selector on my les Paul- and 1959 Fender Champ ! :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I found the AXE exdit software and now its easy as can be.

4. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

I think I figured out why, you made the switch. If you didn't you would had to a prolly would have, eventually, bought every amp on that menu.

Its the 'Perfect Franky Rig'! :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  5. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

"but technology has gotten to the point that it has changed. Specifically the new Line 6 Helix.... absolute beast. "

I loved the demo vids I saw/heard of this new Offering from Line 6. Totally agree! It seemed very amplike in how it reacts to your playing touch/pick attack. I have never felt that from any modellers I have tried/owned.

2 people like this.
  6. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

Did they have monitors in front or behind them? I've only had to play one time when the stage was large enough that I needed my guitar coming thru the monitors in front where my mic stand was. I generally like having my guitar sound behind me, but loud enough that I don't need a monitor for it. THey probably have it dialed in to a T I suppose. I'd feel naked, I always like having something I can turn around and adjust my volume with, I'd not like having it tied to the PA or unable to have control myself of MY volume.

I admit the modeling IS getting better, but call me old school, I just have not been completely won over by the likes of the POD's, fractal audio or the kemper and yes I've tried them all. The first modeling amp I had was the line 6 flextone II, which was then traded for a Spider 2x12, then the AX212 which I used for a bout 18 months, then I got rid of them all together and went back to tubes!

7. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

I think the interface is really where most people get lost. Tapping buttons and turning little knobs while going through menus.

Now, if I can edit in real time while hooked up to a computer and play along as I edit....that sounds like a solution I could work with.

I would REALLY love to have an AXE FXII or a Line 6 Helix for playing at night, but my budget right now is more in the used POD HD500X range.

8. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Don't sell the POD HD short, they can still deliver some great tones through the right FRFR system. I have the 500 and my only beef was if I used a Dual amp sim (two different amps one for each channel) the processor would limit the effects chain due to available memory/power. The 500X is supposed to address this issue.

1 person likes this.
  9. jay1williams

jay1williams Senior Member

Line 6 GearBox does exactly that - I've used it with a POD XT Live - very easy...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Oh, don't get me wrong - it's kind of like a I want a Ferrari, but I can only afford a Corvette ZR1. I am sure they're both great. It's just that now that I understand how they create the models for the Helix (and I believe the AXE FXII) by modeling individual components, I am really intrigued. This new approach is really fascinating, and my GAS is strong.

11. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

What is FRFR?

1 person likes this.
  12. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

Full range flat response speakers, they are meant to be as transparent as a speaker/amp gets

2 people like this.
  13. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Yes, the amp simulations, mic'ing and cab sims all expect to not be colored by the amplification and speakers you use to reproduce them. The answer as to why is simple, every (guitar) amp and (guitar) speaker has a pretty limited frequency range and has peaks in the response that are a characteristic of the amp or speaker itself. These characteristics would change the way the sims sound when you listen as these characteristics are already programmed into the sims. Too many people ignore this and then complain about these modellers when they use them incorrectly.

3 people like this.
  14. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

:lol:

Spot On!

15. frankv

2 people like this.
  16. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I am 10 minutes into the video. This is probably the most thorough review I have ever seen about a piece of gear. Thanks for posting.

1 person likes this.
  17. frankv

The guy is a trip to watch. He comes off like a goof but the dude knows his stuff and has experience more then most of us will ever..

18. frankv

Check this out.. Skip to 30.16.. See what the great Steve Howe from YES uses. A minute or two earlier you will see he is using a LINE 6 Model of a Bogner.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGjl6kP0SI[/ame]

I quote him.

"This is where I make my sound. I don't carry anything else"

Ya cant make this stuff up dudes.. hahahahaha

2 people like this.
  19. frankv

David. The reason for using FRFR speaker monitors is because if you want to get the most out of all the work that was put into the modelers, you need to let the modelers do what they were designed to do. Reproduce the sound of the amp chosen and not have that colored by the output speaker cabinet. It would just defeat the purpose.

I can tell you from my use of the AXE FX2. When I have the cabinet SIMS turned on, my crappy cabinet really sounds like crap. Why? because the sound coming from the AXE is assuming that the speakers are flat response. If I were NOT to read the manual or seek out advice and guidance from experienced users, I would think the AXE was terrible. Meanwhile all that I would have needed to do is to turn OFF cabinet SIMS until I get FRFR cabinets.

It is my belief, after talking to guys like Affordablehearing, DSPelman and KenG, most that complain about PODS and other modelers never really get the other required pieces of the puzzle. Things like a Clean power amp.. mostly a SS one.. and the correct speaker cabinets. It is truly my belief that in most cases, a modeling amp today is a better choice for most guitar players. Certainly something that deserves a good hard look with out the "human coloration" that happens when one reads forums like these.

2 people like this.
  20. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

I understand why the full range speakers are needed. I just had no idea what FRFR was. Thanks for the explanation.

2 people like this.