Why Never Any POD HD Talk

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Oct 31, 2015.

1. affordablehearing

affordablehearing Senior Member

Awesome! Can't wait to hear your review. I think you will be happy.
    Also interested in hearing about the cabs

2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Wow, I just listened to a demo of the Xitone powered wedge. They did not color the sound at all. They just reproduced exactly what was fed into them.

I need to find some similar demos of the Line 6 and the Friedman...

1 person likes this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Why bother? the XItone stuff is top shelf. I wouldn't steer you wrong brother. I did all the research for you..

1 person likes this.
  4. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Noted and appreciated, only thing is I'm really curious how the Line 6 sounds since I have a Variax Guitar and a POD HD500X...then again do I really need a chain of 3 pieces that model???

5. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

On the other hand, this research was pretty much limited to internet forums, no? I think once you have one of these in hand, you may be less enthused once you hear it against alternatives.

1 person likes this.
  6. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

The Line 6 StudioSource doesn't model. It's just a good PA-style speaker.

7. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

Correct. I guess I was referring to the ability to select a source such as Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Keyboard. More of an equalization thing.

8. frankv

Hey DS, do you have direct experience with XITONE.. Are you telling me to cancel my order?

9. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I looked at the Eminence speaker that's inside these things (with a couple of different HF drivers) in *other* boxes some time ago. It's not killer expensive ($75 or so for the 12" LF driver). Do you know what HF driver they're using?

You probably shouldn't need to have separate "baked-in" equalizations for Electric/Acoustic/Keys. That's more than likely just a bulletpoint for marketing. I'm using my current speakers for all three of those ("acoustic" guitar coming from a Variax Acoustic 700 and the JTV-89s, Keyboards are Korg Kronos and PA3X) plus bass. If the speakers are truly flat response, EQ is coming from further upstream. If you're running guitar/acoustic/keys, you're probably not going to want to be reaching down to a wedge to tweak EQ anyway.

The good news is that they're pretty compact boxes, and they ARE coated with LineX, so they should be tough.

I'm not telling you to cancel your order (it may be perfect for what you're doing).

Have you had a chance to try one of the Atomic Amp active-amp coax boxes designed by Jay Mitchell yet? They're not bad.

10. frankv

Thanks DS, Much appreciated. I certainly value your opinion as I know you are a PRO performer.

For me, anything is better then the crappy AVT412 cab I'm stuck using since selling everything. So I think the XITONE wedges are going to be just the thing for my office. Thanks for the insight, it's because of you and a couple of others that I decided to go FRFR cabs.

1 person likes this.
  11. KenG

KenG Senior Member

There's more to a speaker cab than the speaker. The dimensions and porting affect the overall response as well. The main issues are frequency response, SPL sound pressure levels (projection) and of course dispersion (area covered). I don't think any amplified or passive speaker will be totally flat, many will color the sound differently to a minor degree. You'll be able to tweak global settings on things like resonance and presence for your system and if you don't change the system once set up there should be no issues.
    BTW expect to change any sounds you currently liek through the guitar cab once you use full range stuff. Guitar cabs typically have less than half the audio range of good quality speaker systems (Mostly top but also bottom end as well).

1 person likes this.
  12. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

For recording my "modeller" is an ADA MP-1 through a Hughes and Ketner Red Box III into a TC Electronic G-major. I've tried several modelling amps but nothing cuts it for me live but a real tube amp. It just thumps...

1 person likes this.
  13. frankv

Yes, I have read that there are differences between the two. Some guys actually don't like the full range stuff. I hope I am not one of them

14. frankv

I suppose to really benefit from an AXE live you would need DI to a high quality PA system.Speaker cabs just for stage volume.

15. Inside Guy

Inside Guy I am no longer @ Gibson V.I.P. Member

The Line 6 speaker ( and most other powered speakers these days) contains DSP to perform all kinds of cool things.

The different setting options actually do much more than just provide selling points. Might want to dive deeper into the specs. One really cool feature is "Virtual tilt-back" on the guitar setting. If you have the speaker standing upright and it's on Keyboard or Guitar....the DSP will tilt the sound up to your ear. Pretty cool stuff going on.

2 people like this.
  16. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

Just picked up a POD 2.0 tonight, booya!

1 person likes this.
  17. frankv

I'm going to post this video in both this thread and the other one running about kinda the same thing.

Maybe this video will show just what the AXE FX2 is really capable of. This is especially helpful to those interested in clean tones. You really need to listen to the entire video because it's all important to the points that were made in this thread.

http://youtu.be/dt5bOCP1Wag

18. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Adrian Belew uses one into a pair of powered monitors and it sounds really good. Also keeps the stereo effects spread.

2 people like this.
  19. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

:wow: Country???

Oh, my lady is gonna LOVE you, brother! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

20. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

There is that word again! :laugh2: