Why Never Any POD HD Talk

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by frankv, Oct 31, 2015.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

So last night I was at one of the various watering holes I frequent to see one of my favorite bands. As usual their sound was incredible. There are 2 guitarists. The lead plays a Wolfgang and the singer plays a Tele. No amps. Just 2 HD 300s on the floor straight into their PA.

Now I can tell you I have seen hundreds of live performances over the last couple years. You know I have had 50 plus tube amps.. The sound of this band was incredible. No $3000 Marshalls. No $5000 Soldanos. No custom modded clones... None of that. Just 2 $300 HD 300 PODS sitting on the floor..

So why is it that modelers like this are never discussed? Are we all stuck in the old days?

caljoe, lancpudn, acstorfer and 4 others like this.
  2. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I owned an HD500 and have owned every model since the original. The 500 didn't impress me much. I still use my pod x3, and I use the pod farm plug in in pro tools. But I still prefer the sound of real tubes.

4 people like this.
  3. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I find the 500 has a high learning curve to my way of thinking. Demos impress- my own use: not so much.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

my lead guy had the HD300 for two practices and he loved it, first show using it,,,crapped out second song mid solo,,,,,no more POD for him,,not saying a tube amp couldn't fail as well, just saying bad experience,,,call me what you want, but I also prefer the look of a sweet amp on stage much better

2 people like this.
  5. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

there's something lame and artificial about them to a lot of people.

it seems like a guitarist hack instead of a viable option. (hack the PA)

I wouldn't want one. Too much plastic and fake.

real guitar > real tubes > real speakers = :thumb:

A Luddite view I know. But I've never liked anything really from Line 6 anyway.

3 people like this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The magic of 3

2 people like this.
  7. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Because we're not smart enough to figure them out!!

8 people like this.
  8. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

My son used a POD for awhile but in the end he went back to analog. I've never used anything but analog. Tubes, guitars and non digital pedals for me. That's what I grew up with pretty much ....

4 people like this.
  9. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I've gone through several modeling amps and multi effects pedals. I have the Zoom G3X currently, but it's gathering dust. What turned me off to them, I was always fighting ice picky highs. All of the stock presets and all of the pedal models, seem to be biased towards cutting highs. This seemed a common trait through the Vox, Fender, Delta Labs, and Zoom products. I used to spend a huge amount of time tweaking before I could get a usable sound. I never tried going straight into a PA. I was always going into an amp and I'm sure the amp was often part of the problem. But I have given up on them and I'm focused on high end amps now, so don't talk me down, I know what I'm doing!:fingersx:

5 people like this.
  10. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I have the 500, and it rocks.

2 people like this.
  11. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I have an old X3 that I use as a practice/late-night amp and I am very happy with it. I have many of the classic amps that they modeled for this unit and while I can get some pretty good tones out of the Pod, it never really sounds, and more importantly feels, like the original amps it intends to mimic. However, the Pod does offer enough decent base tones and tweakability to dial in a decent tone for nearly any style. It all comes down to how good the guy behind the unit is, not how good the unit is.

Frank, let me know who that band was you saw. I may have to go check them out. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  12. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  13. ricky1918

ricky1918 Senior Member

I used to have a 500X, and used it straight to PA or soundcard. In 10 months, I had spent more time tweaking it than actually playing it.
    Still, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the outcome.

I just got tired of losing time at practice for changing the settings of the delays, of the amp, of the OD.. And I couldn't find a clean tone I liked.

I sold it a month or so ago, and never looked back. I'll probably end up buying a vox ac30HW as soon as I can.

But I think it depends on the music you play.
    I had 0 problems making metal patches, and they were awesome. On the other hand, clean and crunchy sounds, as I said earlier, just didn't sound good, for me.
    They were unidimensional, with no depth, no liveliness.. I was using the fender twin and hiwatt simulations..

5 people like this.
  14. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I have a monitor and the stuff that I play my acoustics into. What is a HD 500? I don't know what to even ask?

1 person likes this.
  15. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I am stupid with this stuff.

2 people like this.
  16. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Senior Member

I'm old, but I like the new stuff too. I have a JTV-59 Variax guitar and a POD HD500X. I love the sounds I can get out of them and I still run it into a tube amp normal channel at times.

Where I do agree it fails is the time it takes to learn it and set it up, but you can solve some of that by downloading other peoples set ups...

3 people like this.
  17. frankv

Scott,

The Band is the Shane Duncan Band. They are on the verge of signing...

I know what everyone is saying in this thread about it being fake, plastic and what not.. but I'll tell you. Anyone listening last night would NOT come away with anything other then that band sounded GREAT... I know they have an extremely high end PA system.. so that had lots to do with it.. but that sound started with the POD..

Now I will also add that in between sets I had the David, the lead at my table and we were talking about the sound. He admitted that the factory presets are crap and it takes about 2 hours of tweaking.. but after that it's all good. He said all his vintage amps are stored away in his mothers garage. Hasn't played one in years.

They just finished a full album. You can hear the tone on You tube music videos. The producers of the records laughed at them when they showed up at the recording studio with the HD300s.. they forced them to play out of a Blackface fender.. but after that the band convinced them to let them record with the HD300s... The producer sent out his assistant to Guitar Center to buy one.. NO frigging BS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6U-Twtl3Qo&index=1&list=PL5wP4TFb6nrS_ihSOOtQg41bOVqFtA1Ym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWwcHrpptk#action=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4G3D51WqL4&list=PL5wP4TFb6nrS_ihSOOtQg41bOVqFtA1Ym&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoEkxJbZ-9g&index=4&list=PL5wP4TFb6nrS_ihSOOtQg41bOVqFtA1Ym

All recorded with POD HD300s

18. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

You answered your own question, Franky. We are stuck in the old days. I just purchased a Fender Mustang v2 amp head. I got amazing tone out of it. Good enough tone to gig and sound great on stage. Literally a week after that though I bought a 68 custom reissue, why? Because I'm ****ing crazy and gotta have tube amps... Sounds awesome, haven't gigged it, but I know it'll sound good. I also have my 1974x Marshall amp. I've already played modeling amps on stage with great success, but I'm just not ready to go 100 percent.

At least though, I can admit that we are in a time where those digital devices are good enough to project tone equal to tube amps... Many are still not ready to admit that.

7 people like this.
  19. frankv

Yeah well I am not that way. Thank god of that..

20. b3john

b3john Senior Member

Always gig with a backup. Always.

4 people like this.