why is the line 6 spider 4 not liked

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by syow, May 7, 2011.

1. syow

syow Member

ive seen alot of people saying they dont like the line 6 spider 4 amps. how come? is there somthing wrong with them?

2. GuitarToneFreak

GuitarToneFreak Senior Member

The Spider IV was my first amp (I now have a Fender Super Champ XD), and for what the Spider is it's a good amp, it's intended as a practice amp for newcomers. Tons of effects, different amp models, cheap in price, it's a good first amp.

But when you start to advance in your playing (or I should say "I", since my opinion doesn't speak for everybody) I find the Spider's distortion starts to sound a little cold. For Metal it's great, but for anything else there are better amps out there IMO.

3. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

People here prefer tube amps, but if it works for you and you are happy with it! Then that is all that matters

4. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

No, there is nothing wrong with Line 6 amps. The way I understand it, they were trying to meet the needs of players that didn't want to spend a lot on their amp but get a lot of bang for the buck (ie lots of effects built in.) Since they are known for their effects (or at least that is what I know them for) it isn't surprising they would build an amp like they did. Keep in mind that many of the amps that others say sound better (and they do!) are quite a bit more expensive and less versatile. For most of us, that is what we want - do a few things exceptionally well for a bit more money.

What works for you might be completely different than for others. I have a friend I was trying to help get into his first guitar and amp, and he ended up with a Line 6. It works great for him for what he intended it for, and he can get a lot of cool sounds out of it. Does it sound as good as a Blues Jr? Not hardly. But then it cost a lot less too. And it can cover a lot more ground by itself, though not as well in what the Blues Jr. excels at.

In the quest for the ultimate tone, most people here (though admittedly not all) end up with a decent tube amp. For each individual though, you pick what meets your needs. Everything else really doesn't matter.

David

5. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

Their is nothing wrong with a good hamburger,but some prefer a nice thick juicy steak!!!!!!!:)

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  6. wwit

wwit Senior Member

Spiders arent bad amps, there just not a great amp either. I still have my SpiderIII that I bought @ 6 years ago when I got back into playing after a 10 year break. I got the 150wt 2x12 version. It has more bottom end than any amp Ive ever had...almost like my old bass amps. Can be played whisper quiet.

The Spiders have there purpose. Great newby amp. Probably a great home recording amp for someone that dosent want to spend big bucks or like me, could never figure out how to run a AxeFX unit. 400 presets for almost any of your guitar heroes tons. Plenty of easy to tune in FX. I almost never bothered with anything becides presets. Satch Boogie being a fav.

But that said, there are certainly a lot of limitations to them as well. Not being able to put pedals in front of it is a biggie. Using 1 live would require the Line6 footboards. And even then going from 1 preset to another more so going from a clean to any distortion preset becomes a problem as the volume intencity changes alot and you have to be quick on the volume knob. Bascially unless you keep it just 1 preset playing live, moving threw the different ones is gonna be a pain in the butt.

7. colchar

colchar Banned

The biggest problem I have with them is that they are used primarily by new players and contain far too many effects. In my mind those new players would be better served learning how to play rather than farting around with countless effects. Once the basic skills have been established would be the time to then go start messing about with everything else.

NashvilleCat likes this.
  8. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I have a spider valve mk1 HD 100 in the mail, after trying the 212 combo i decided it to grab the real deal. There are alot of good tones to be had which is perfect for a guitarist trying to develpe their sound (12 amp modules), i need the tones as i have a guitar workshop here in Australia and it alows me to compensate for all the styles of my clients
    For real tube tones ill be sticking a Strymon SV pre into the boogner tube power amp "in", just waiting for them to finish the version 2 which is an external tube pre amp and i should get the best of both worlds.

I also owned a spider 3 a few years back and it was just a little average in all the good places, no balls. As far as small practice amps go, my little solid state fender hot and marshall valvestate kicked it in the butt!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. cherokee

cherokee Senior Member

I have a spider 4 75w, and I like it quite a bit. I would also think of myself as a newbe. I also have a Roland Cube 30x and a new Vox 4actv.

I like the amp quite a bit, but the new little vox gets most of my time, if I want to play with basic different settings, Delay reverb and such I use the little Roland. For more of the real strange things I like the Line 6. The only down side to the line 6 that I have is it is so darn big. I like to play on outside on my porch, so the little roland or vox goes outside with me, and the line 6 is the fireplace amp.

They are great, sound good when turned down...(great when the kid is asleep) and sound good louder.

They are good amps, I have had ZERO problems out of mine and I have had it about a year.

10. jrnic

jrnic Senior Member

I also have a Spider IV 75w. I used to have the Spider II 75w but I wanted to get the newer one with all the extra 'bells' so I sold my II to get a IV. I'm glad I did too. Since the last few firmware upgrades it has sounded so much better. The upgades add a lot more tones and effects and overall 'flexibility' to it.

Now, I am far from a 'Newby.' I started playing in my late teens and am now approaching 50! I bought my first Gibson LP brand new back in 1978. That puts me in the 'old farts' category I think. Anyway, I love to play heavy distortions. I'm still a metal guy. I have tried many, many amps over the years. My biggest requirement is sound levels. I can't crank an amp up to get the sound I really want out of a tube amp. It's not feasable for me. I only get to fool around on my guitars late at night after the wife and kids are sleeping. Cranking up that late at night would be a 'death wish' for me. Both by my wife and my neighbors.

That being said, I have tried quite a few digital modeling amps of all sizes. The 2 that I have settled on both satisfy my 'tone' requirements. One is the Zoom 'Fire 36' which I'm sure not many (if any) have heard of. It's long discontinued, but this thing sounds amazing at the lowest of volumes. The other is my Line 6 Spider IV 75w. That one can play at very low volume or I can crank it up if I want to (which is very rare in my situation.)

My point......you don't have to be a 'newby' to own one of these modelers. There are a lot of factors that make a person choose what is best for him/her. I'm sure there are quite a few tube 'purists' that are turning up their noses right now, but who cares. I have what I need to make me happy.

11. nutsauce

nutsauce Senior Member

I have used them and to me they just sound over processed. I'm not a fan of modeling or solid state amps personally. I do think for the money it's a good amp but the effects and modeling just don't cut it for me.

12. rdsmith3

rdsmith3 Senior Member

Like a lot of people, I got a Line 6 as my first amp. I bought a Spider III 15 w amp about 1.5 years ago. Then I bought a Fender Vibro Champ XD hybrid modeling amp, which I liked a lot better, but it did not quite give me the sound I wanted. Then I bought a 1x12 extension cabinet, which made the Fender sound much, much better. Then I bought a Bugera V5 tube amp on a whim for $99, which is a pretty good amp with new tubes, running through a 1x12 cabinet, yet that elusive sound was still not within my grasp. Then I bought a used Jet City 20 watt head, which is a great amp.

In hindsight, I should have taken all that money and bought, say, an Egnater Tweaker as my first amp. However, I have learned a lot in my aural journey.

13. Grand Pappy

Grand Pappy Senior Member

I had a spider II for a few years and sold it when I got a spider jam about 3 years ago. At that time I was sitting in my man cave ll by my lonesome just playing to the prerecorded tracks. As soon as I got the itch to play in a band again I sold it.
    These little modeling amps are great for beginners and as a play at home platform, but once you get into a giging situation, you need a good tube amp to sound great and project good tone

14. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

There pretty good, but I do like the Fender Mustang III better for a solid state modeling amp. The Mustang III has better sounding modeling amps and a nice 12" celestion speaker with an open back. I played the side by side comparison trick with the Line 6 and the Mustang III and it was just easier to dial in the tones I like on the Mustang III. Plus.. the Mustang III sounds more like a warm tube tone, where the Spider IV has more of a processed tone to my ears.

Don't get me wrong... at first I plugged into the Line 6's everytime I played a guitar at GC and I liked them for some nice hard crunch and trying out a guitar. But now that I have heard and been playing through quite a few different amps, I am really starting to hear the difference between a processed sound and a more true tube sound. The Mustang III has a advanced setting, where you can set the SAG and get it closer to a true tube sound if you want.

15. dcooper830

dcooper830 Senior Member

I have 2 Spider IIs. A 1x12 75 watt, and a 2x12 150.

The 75 watt I have at home and it makes an awesome practice amp. And I love the effects and versatility.

The 2x12 I keep at the band rehearsal space with an FBV Shortboard.

I have found a really great useable rock tone by setting it (them) on Insane Green and backing off the gain quite a bit. Also I turn the TREBLE all the way down and the BASS and MID all the way up.

You wouldn't think that would sound good.... but it really does. It's a nice crunchy crisp growly tone with plenty of good low end.

Also I love the delays, chorus, flange, and reverb. And with the FBV Shortboard you really get a lot of control (tap tempo, tuner, volume, wah, patch - bank changes etc...)

I have even gigged with them a few times and they work quite well for me. Just keep the gain and treble under control and don't drown it in effects and it sounds pretty good.

Even though I have some really great Marshall and Peavey tube amps.... I'm a big fan of the Spider Line 6s. I'd like to get a Spider IV sometime.... except then I'd probably want to get the newer FBV Shortboard cause it's not compatible with my older one.

captain tightpants likes this.
  16. zslane

zslane Senior Member

I have the Spider IV 75 as well and it isn't bad. However, I'm not a fan of the speaker in it, to be honest. To my ears it has a rather discernable mid-range honk that colors every preset, and I've found no satisfying method of compensating for it via EQ.

I bought mine in January, but then two weeks later I bought an Axe-FX and the Spider hasn't been turned on since. Anyone in SoCal want to buy a mint condition Spider IV 75 at a hefty discount? (I still have the original box it came in too.) :)

17. Lukejolyon

Lukejolyon Member

Sorry to drop in on an old post, but you've got the exact same set up I am just about to adopt. I have a Spider IV 150w for rehearsing and gigging, but find it is just too large and loud for anything at home, so am about to ebid on a Spider IV 75w. That makes me a double Line 6 owner.

I have to say I find the snobbishness about these a bit odd. I've been playing guitar on and off for about 35 years and have recently started to gig reasonably regularly and I find the 150w just fine. I need the versatility of tone since we play covers (rock/indie rock/brit rock) and I would need a massive plug board and all sorts of complicated combinations for each song if I wanted to emulate all the presets I've set up. I never use the preset artist/song tones it comes with - find none of them work for me or sound that close. But you can get pretty much whatever sound you want if you tweak around a bit with your own tone. Has never let me down, has all the power you want, mics up just fine on stage. I tend to put it on a stand whenever I practice/gig or it sounds too bassy.

Anyways, jus sayin...

PS nice vids mate

18. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Probably the same reason the Spider 1's, 2's, and 3's were not liked, because they are digital modellers.

That said, I've still got a Spider 2 I bought new. Not the best amp ever made and I don't play it much anymore, but I never have any trouble getting a tone I like out of it.

..and this was a it of a necropost :laugh2: