Why is digital recording so complicated?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Tobacco Worm, Nov 30, 2012.

1. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand. What class?

2. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

Today I was listening to one of the only digital albums i really love, "First Impressions of Earth" by The Strokes, i have a vinyl record of it, i know that's pretty much pointless given all the conversion it takes to get a digital album onto an analog source, but it still was missing that open/warm feeling all my other records have when i put the needle down. It felt like i was hearing in 2D, where as if i had put on Aja or Abbey Road, that third dimension would have opened up.

I mean, intellectually i know digital is a perfectly good medium and there are dithering aspects to both analog and digital recording/ playback.

Why is it i still find analog much more appealing and digital irritating?

3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

You are not alone, an original vinyl of any thing sounds more pleasing to me than a digitally remastered CD.

4. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

the free Berkley music production & recording class.
    it was a joke.:wave:

5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I knew it was a joke but I didn't get it, still don't. :laugh2:

6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Your not alone! I still use 4 track reel to reel tape. I have managed to learn to use my BR-1600 DAW pretty well too. I have Pro Tools on my computer but I'm like you..
    I want to turn knobs and flip switches. I've been playing since 63 and I'm almost too old to change what i know. And i will concur that Digital can be very sterile sounding when compared to the sonic impact of tape or vinyl records. There is no contest.

Peace

7. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

you must be a bass player.:hmm::laugh2:

8. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

Simple answer to all of this. Joey already said it, buy a book, read it and learn. Then use tutorials online. If your songs are worth the hassle of being recorded then you will find a way to do the impossible. I started with tape also and I think it sucks. If I really want that warm analog sound then I'll just press my shit to vinyl. Personally I don't hear a difference anyway, but I'm half deaf.

1 person likes this.
  9. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I think there's quite a bit lost between the master tapes that were made years ago and the records. Channel separation on a record sucks but they still sounded great as long as you took good care of the LP and recording needle. Tape being magnetic will degrade over time so needs to be copied to something that'll last longer. Obviously mixing and correctling/patching in and out was more skill on a tape machine vs today's digital studios.
    I seem to remember a good multi-track tape recorder was thousands of dollars as well, placing it out of the hands of many and still requiring additional equipment (mixing boards, pre-amps etc) to use. Todays technology has more people recording their own stuff with decent quality at a much lower price.
    I haven't used my Abelton software in a awhile, and even when I did I was no Power User. I just need to take the time to learn and understand the GUi on it but with no recording studio background it's hardly intuitive.