Why I Will Never Ever Own a Modeling Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by acstorfer, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Except for maybe a toy if I find one cheap enough I will NEVER buy myself a modeling amp. Let me start out by saying my decision has nothing to do with me not thinking they are good enough. On the contrary, from the way some of y'all won't stop raving about them I bet some of them are exceptional. My issue with them has nothing to do with me being too old school, or too snobby, or not liking change and modern technology. My decision is simply if I complete my quest of gear, I will be sad :(.

I enjoy the painstaking diligence of buying a new amp. I crave new pedal days. When I can't sleep at night I like to peruse Craigslist, eBay, Reverb, the members classified section. I get a kick out of telling myself "no more gear" only to realize I am lying to myself (I pulled off that one just tonight when I found a great deal on a Keeley pedal. Actually Reverb shouldn't be legal :)). Buying an expansion pack (or whatever they are) is just not the same thing to me. It's just one of those things that if I have everything I won't have anything to look forward to.

I've never been one to fixate on sounding exactly like whomever. I've always felt that if your rig sounds great then versatility isn't important. If your rig sounds great, it will sound great even if it doesn't sound "right".

I've had a POD XT Live in the past. Except for needing to be hooked up to a computer to really get the most of it, I would still recommend it. While I definitely prefer single pedals for several reasons, multi effect pedals serve an important role. In fact my newest pedal really isn't any different than a multi effect pedal. It runs on algorithms and with the optional controller it's a reverb, shimmer, chorus, and delay. I love my new Neunaber! But unless I was in a cover band I couldn't imagine getting another POD type thing again for the same reason I wouldn't get a modeling amp. I just love getting new and different pedals to play with and I don't want an "everything you need" pedal.

If I get another amp in the future I only hope it will be as painstaking for me as it was with my recent amp. The thrill is in the hunt :).

2. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Alrighty then.

6 people like this.
  3. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I agree.

2 people like this.
  4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

For me, it's the "charm" factor--I dig the guitar straight into amp. Conceptually (as well as in practice, as LOTS of discerning players here on the Forum rave about them) modellers are TERRIFIC and most certainly have their place. Will NEVER dis modellers. But I like amps.

3 people like this.
  5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I live in both worlds, I enjoy it that way.

10 people like this.
  6. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Senior Member

Why is it one or the other? I own an AxeFx and really dig what it does, but just because I own it and think it's the balls, doesn't mean I'm done. I still buy pedals and guitars and basses and tons of other crap. Basically all I use it for is to record and practice with. It's just one part of all my toys...it rules, but I get what you're saying and stacking a couple delays with a boutique OD into an amp sounds magical too.

I really don't think I'll ever be done and I'm ok with that. Just bought another PRS...had to close out 2015 in style...got another Strymon coming too, lol.

4 people like this.
  7. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Which Strymon do you have on the way? I had a tough time deciding between Strymon and Neunaber. I went with Neunaber, but Strymon makes some top shelf stuff. I don't think I could have made a bad choice.

8. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I can dig it!

For years I overflowed with guitars and amps. My condo rivaled some music shops. When the $$$ didn't support my love of lots and lots of gear I became a one guitar/one amp dude. I loved having lots of guitars and amps on hand, but I found an actual peace bonding with just one of each.

I'm happy in my one little world.

Of course I have come to the realization that I'm a pedal whore as of late :). Of course that's my whole rationale. I love that new pedal smell in the morning. It smells like victory :thumbs: With my outlook it's hard to believe I only have five pedals and one on the way (excluding my tuner). I'm sure that won't be the case for too long.

9. Rodmac

Rodmac Senior Member

Modelling amps have come a long way in the past number of years. Personally after having tons of boutique amps, pedals, vintage pedals, I went '50s Tweeds, '60 BF and Marshall Plexi's and never went back. Got rid of all the pedals, mint circle R TS-808, DOD Gray Box OD, Pete Cornish, Colour Sound OD, Orig Mint RAT etc etc. Straight into these amps gives up the best tones for me.

But the freedom of choice today is endless, so enjoy !!!

5 people like this.
  10. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Senior Member

Timeline baby!

2 people like this.
  11. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

The modelling guys will now be posting NPD's. New Preset Day. Not quite as exciting. The thrill of the chase is gone. Imagine our rock stars of the 70's and 80's without the Marshall stacks. I'm not downplaying the versatility and quality of modelling at all. I'm just a simple 5 knob amp guy.

9 people like this.
  12. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

I plugged an American Standard Tele w/ humbucker so into a Deluxe Reverb and called it a day. Works for me. I've got 14 other amps and 9 other guitars to choose from if the mood hits me, but for now I'm happy.

Modelers? I have to admit the Fender Mustang I played around with sounded quite good to my ears at low volumes and I'm sure the Axe FX would blow that away, but then what's the point of being a guitarist if you can't annoy the neighbors! :D

7 people like this.
  13. Quill

Quill Senior Member

New Preset Day. That's hilarious!

... I don't know how the modelling works ... if there is a way to go in there and surprise yourself, find things maybe you didn't expect to find but you like the sounds and can use and be inspired by them ... that's cool. I'd check that out.

I just love a nice amp, though. Love it.

4 people like this.
  14. Robus

Robus Senior Member

I have a Fender Mustang I that sits in a closet. Real tube amps are more satisfying to play and sound better to my ears.

3 people like this.
  15. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Just one month ago no one was talking about modelers. I like the trend. Now you have guys creating threads on why they won't buy one.. Excellent. I see I have made an impact around here, :thumb::fingersx:

Adam, you need to get in your car and come over to my place. I want to show you something.

8 people like this.
  16. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

It's funny, I have been through a bunch of "modelling" delay/reverb units, all the time promising myself I'd build the two remaining WEM Copicats I have into one good one. The pedals were good, but just not the same thing. And then I bought a Timeline, and getting a good working Copicat seemed far less important. It sounds and feels like tape echo, but of course duplicates pretty authentically every delay I have ever owned. Because I use MIDI on my pedalboard I have easy access to a lot of great delay sounds.

Which leads me to my actual point. I feel exactly the same way about gear as the OP, but somehow that doesn't make want to not own a modeling amp. I tried the Line 6 stuff, and Vox, and a few other things, and the thing that made me not want to own them was that they didn't sound as good as what I already owned. More than that, I didn't enjoy playing through them for some reason.

Blackstar, Yamaha, and more than anyone Fractal seem to finally be changing the game. They are doing it by coming up with modeling amps that people actually want to use, and are really enjoying. I think I might just want a little bit of that. I'll keep trying pedals and amps that interest and intrigue me, and I am sure as hell not about to sell my SFPR or 2203 when I find a modeling amp that can sound like them. It's not like it's actually going to be them is it?

Liam

3 people like this.
  17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

OP: I always enjoy reading your stuff. I'm a fan. I think you know that. I also think you have the coolest guitar, period. I appreciate the tone of what you're saying here. I have no problems with modelers or pedals. Personal choice. From the perspective of an uneducated rookie, I see two schools. Straight sound guitar and amp purist, or one who searches for modified sound. Right or wrong, I can see and understand how purists might claim a certain higher ground. I don't see that it matters which path you choose to modify and wonder if either school there has the right to claim to be THE way. This is strictly a rookie observation/question. Trying to learn, not stir.

5 people like this.
  18. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Of course the point of my thread has nothing to do with higher ground or purist preference. It is simply that I don't want one thing that does everything. I enjoy a new pedal or what have you too much. I'd be sad if I never had to look for new toys ever again. I too have no problem with modelers. I'm sure the high end stuff is amazing!

2 people like this.
  19. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Even though I will never ever buy one, I look forward to trying out your fractal. I also expect the bbq to be going with an ice bucket of cold beers!

2 people like this.
  20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I really like and respect your process. You made a great guitar the perfect guitar. If you wake up one morning and it's gone, you should tell the police to look in Texas. :D You took your amp shopping to a different level. I'm sure you'll do the same with pedals. The pedal thing is still an addiction I'm desperately trying to avoid.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.