Why Do YOU Like Norlins?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Burny FLG, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

Long post, short answer:

They take me back to my youth (when I had one).

bulletproof and Pappy58 like this.
  2. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

Anyone ever seen Brian Robertson of thin lizzy play his 73 with pafs, if not go to youtube pull up Gary Moores tribute to Phil and watch him and Gary play still in love with you. Awesome sounding 73

bulletproof and 1969 weatherman like this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I just get tired of the generalizations. Norlin ownership of Gibson saw the production of fairly inconsistent Les Pauls with some changed specs; it saw the introduction of the gorgeous, high-end L5S. It saw a high-end component (multipiece maple necks) used in place of a beloved old component (mahogany necks). It saw both clunky clownbursting and some gorgeous finishes (L5S again). It's easy to pick out some negatives instituted under Norlin ownership for financial, non-musical reasons (such as the pancake body to pre-empt splitting... solving a problem that didn't exist to begin with!) But isn't this mostly just normal corporate bungling, experimenting, and profiteering? Fenders of the same time period, and Martins as well, have their own weaknesses. I see the anti-Norlin sentiment as a late-developing over-reaction to fairly conventional industrialization. It's easy to pick on a feature or two -- some of those finishes are hideous -- and turn that into a blanket condemnation. But thinking back to that time, I don't recall people thinking these instruments were overpriced or cruddy. Norlin-era Gibson put a load of guitars into players' hands, and the people I know were happy to own one. I find almost no great Norlins, it's true, but plenty of good ones.

4. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

The thing I don't get is this right here...
    [​IMG]

Alembic makes sandwich guitars with like a bajillion layers and a dozen different woods laminated all the way through and six ways from Sunday,

and it makes them high quality, elite and dang expensive guitars! :wow:

Gibson did it for strengthening and only used 2 woods and 3 layers and they're considered inferior? :wtf:

zamdrang, bulletproof, bungle and 2 others like this.
  5. bgh

bgh Senior Member

Context: Both my LPC and my SG are Norlin-era. I have played some SGs and LPs that were not, but don't remember what year.

For me, the non-Norlin guitars didn't "feel" right. I know that is a very subjective thing to say, but, bear with me.

I bought both of mine new. So, I have had 1 (the SG) for over 4 decades, and the other for almost 4 decades. In that time, every aspect of those guitars has become second nature to me. I know exactly how the neck feels at each position. I know exactly how the guitar is going to respond to what I do.

In short, I know what I can say with those guitars, because I know them so well.

When I tried a newer LP, the aggregate of all of the updates and such combined in a way that made it feel foreign to me. (I suspect if I had a newer one and took the time to learn it like I did my LP, I would feel differently.)

Please understand also, being a lefty, I have not had the wide selection of LPs and SGs to select from that right-handed players get. When we walk into a store, we are relegated to whatever happens to be on the wall. Actually, not a good way to sample the newer models.

I did get a chance to try a 2005 Epi LP. It was a lot lighter than mine. It sounded good and played well. But, it didn't have that low-end growl mine has. Come to think of it, I cannot think of many others I have played that have that same growl.

1969 weatherman and bulletproof like this.
  6. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

I was told to like them. I’m obedient.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  7. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Well, i'll have to admit, that after having owned and played the solid build Norlin Gibsons ever since i got my first Gibsom some 25 - 30 years ago and then trying to pick up a modern Custom in a guitar shop, (just for the hell of it, because i don't go to guitar stores for instruments), i felt rather underwhelmed with the current Custom.
    It was light, and simply "felt" cheap - wrong neck shape, weird finish and all in all just very different from the old Norlins i have tried - in fact it felt very much like a 70's Japanese copy guitar that i also own - except that the finish on the copy feels less plasticky...

Weirdly enough, one of my favourite guitars is a '09 Explorer which feels (and sounds) just right - but that one has its neck sanded down before i got it...

I guess it would take be a pretty heavy modern LP to convince me they are still any good - the light ones i have tried just felt wrong :D

1969 weatherman and bulletproof like this.
  8. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

If Alembelic had a 50's era model that didn't have that type of construction and had gained an iconic rep, then maybe the same prejudice would have been applied.

bulletproof and DarrellV like this.
  9. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

I loved my custom until I came to the forums and had the aristocracy educate me on on how inferior it is.

That's a joke.. in all seriousness the thing is an 11 lb tank, it has a personality all it's own, great 60ish neck, it plays really really nice. Any praise for the Tim Shaw pups I do not agree with. They are ok but nothing special...I can find some good tones but are noisy and leave a LOT to be desired in a band setting.

LesPaul012.jpg

bulletproof and cmh6122 like this.
  10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Knopfler made the Shaws work pretty well on the Money For Nothing album.....

bulletproof likes this.
  11. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

A good guitar is a good guitar, and a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Heritage Standard 80 is an awesome guitar!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  12. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

I like them because the Deluxe has the best neck pickup sound there is in my opinion! Mine plays great and if I had to record an album and only was allowed one guitar this would be it. I love my replica and historics but the mini-hums are the stuff.

[​IMG]

13. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

We couldn't afford a Gibson guitar like our heroes Page,Townsend,Kossoff,Allman,Thin Lizzy, when we were getting started. Only the rich kids in school got them. We made due with Japanese lawsuit copies. Bought my first Gibson-1983 Norlin. Still have it!

bulletproof likes this.
  14. bungle

bungle Premium Member

That was me. Got a Les Paul out of the Sears catalogue. Harmony?Then moved up to a Japanese Vantage.

Attached Files:

bulletproof, DarrellV and brianbzed like this.
  15. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

My Les Paul copy was a Memphis...

bungle likes this.
  16. RockMechanic

RockMechanic Senior Member

For me, because that's what they made in 1978 when I started playing, and I guess I didn't know any better.
    I still don't know any better.
    IMG_0330.JPG

17. Streetglide

Streetglide Member

This?

jenton70 and bulletproof like this.
  18. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Simple. I love Lesters. Period.

As for Norlins, I love the quirkiness: Mostly pancake bodies, volutes, mini-buckers.

And then there's the goof rings.

Thumpalumpacus and bulletproof like this.
  19. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Don't forget the goof -hiders on select models....

Where's @scottyk ?

He REALLY needs to get Oscar into this thread! All the Norlin 'nastiness' he has in spades!
    Mojo for days! :dude:

20. scottyk

scottyk Senior Member