"Why do you have so many guitars?"

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Mr Insane, Feb 19, 2018.

1. DLRG

DLRG Member

^
    It seems to me that the only thing of concern, is you being obsessed about your obsession. Nothing wrong at all with collecting whatever you like and in what ever quantity. I'm pretty sure nobody would ever ask a stamp collector "Why do you have so many stamps?".

Enjoy what you have and I hope will enjoy what you hope to have.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

Well actually, I have a total of 59 electric guitars, acoustics, and basses. I did a count to verify the actual count.

And yes, I too am looking for my next guitar.

Sickness? Maybe, but at least I'm not spending it on hookers and blow.

3. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Sorry to learn of your illness... I hope it all turns around for you, Doc.

Hard to recommend a final guitar to somebody who has owned so many. You'd know a lot more about the subject-- and for sure more about what you like-- than I ever will. :hmm:

But seeing as you've still got a bunch on hand, and are looking for something different that is versatile, I'd ask if you ever considered a Stratocaster. Between the neck pup and a single-coil bridge pup, you've got everything from warm to icy, and you can always thicken the tone with electronics such as amp settings or a pedal if you wish to emulate humbuckers. Or maybe you could just go with a superstrat with a humbucker at the bridge instead.

Lots of ranges with a Stratocaster, especially one with the five-position selector and a humbucker for a bridge pickup. I think they've got one wired up for coil-splitting as well.

Best luck to you.

--R

4. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

CRobbins likes this.
  5. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter

I don't consider collecting guitars a problem. I have lots of them. People that have seen a few don't ask why. It's more of "WTF!!!!".

6. fishy_fingers

fishy_fingers Junior Member

Speaking for me, I think that is pretty spot on; even my lady has (so far) not chided me, but when -yesterday after posting- I asked her how she felt about the whole thing she replied: "Well, I don't really get the point. 5 fine, 7 OK. 30 or 40? That's beyond me. But if it makes you happy, there are worse ways to spend it. Just keep it to the basement and don't start filling the whole house with them."
    Maybe it's just guilt over spending on "myself" not "us" (just think of the vacations we could've gone on) and that somehow sits wrong with me. At least I got my nephew that 2015 Classic he wanted, so I am probably just 97,7% selfish ;).

DLRG likes this.
  7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Because buying new guitar itself is a joy !

Dun Ringill and DLRG like this.
  8. stiff fingers

stiff fingers Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I am fortunate that my wife is a former music teacher and a bass player. I never have to explain why I bought an amp or guitar. Just why they sound different. Also why I don't practice as often as I should.

Also my former hobby and business was classic Italian cars, selling off that former business funds my GAS. However that former business is why I do not care for investment grade toys or the buyers of such toys.

Some weird advice for the member who has leukemia, Plan to outlive your doctors. Worked for me. It is what I did when I was told by Oncology that I only had 2 years left. That was 12 years ago.

9. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Bought a Les Paul.standard 08, immediately realised my error and bought a 2011 R9.
    That's 2.
    Bought a good rosewood frettboard Strat which has noise cancelling pickups. Quickly bought a maple Strat with standard pickups.
    Les Pauls and Strats have totally different sounds and one has a tremelo.
    That's 4.
    Bought a 52 reissue Telecaster to see if I liked them and very much did. Excellent for open tunings. Then got a b-bender Tele (unique function) and a Hot-Rod for the humbucker option.
    That's 7.
    Bought a folding guitar on a whim and a cheap Helllo Kitty Strat on a whim off Ebay.
    That's 9.
    I've still got my 3rd ever ekectric guitar bought in the 80s and now heavily modified, it started as a Marlin.
    That's 10.
    I bought (one of the GOOD) Takamine en10c electro-acoustics in the 90s and love it.
    That's 11
    I bought a Martin with a built in pickup to get a full acoustic sound in 2012 (prefer the Takamine) and that's 12.
    Bought a Fender 5 string Jazz bass because I didn't hace a bass to record with.
    That's 13.

Therefore the answer almost entirely is:
    Because they do differenr jobs!

stiff fingers likes this.
  10. kherman

kherman Senior Member

"Variety is the spice of life".
    There's just too many nice guitars out there, at every price point, to just own only one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

So my 1st guitar was an old 70’s catalog guitar that was a mess. Then I got an Ibanez Super strat. After thay my brother got into guitar for a bit and got an aria explorer.......and eventually gave me the guitar. I made a bass in woodshop out of a broken holowbody Imperial Bass (thats 4)
    My cousin gave me a Burny LP (and starts my LP sickness. So the burny becomes my #1. Well if your in a band you need a back up. So i get a neck-thru Agile.

Then I realize i need a Gibson so i get a LP Std honey burst. My Ex the gave me a Roling Stones tribute Sg. I bought a Yamaha AC3R (solid wood no laminate) acoustic thats is amazing! You have to spend 3x more to find another solid wood acoustic.

Then a black Traditional pro lands in my hands for 700 bucks... cant say no to that. So more or less 11 guitars and im still thinking about a stratosphere project, a BFG, and an R9 or R0. Oh and a TV Yellow LP JR DC and an ash body maple fret board strat.

12. greg berlin

greg berlin Member

As a ok musician my guitar collection is based on ART/RARENESS/investment$/me as a player fits in there i play daily or try !!main thing i love EPIPHONES!

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

The solution is to just gaslight the person hassling you:

Why are you asking so many questions? Am I on trial here?! Are you calling me a liar? Why are you so obsessed with this? What does that say about you?

SteveGangi likes this.
  14. Rds

Rds Senior Member

I just like every one of my guitars. Each one has a different feel and sound. I've got four LP's two traditional and two early 90's studios with ebony fretboards. Each has a personality of it's own. Also some 135's and a strat, along with the first quality guitar I ever bought, a gibson Rd standard. Man I beat that thing to death one finger at a time.

15. sasquatch

sasquatch Premium Member

"Cause they're all different and were
    remarkably affordable at the time.
    I couldn't say No."

16. Censport

Censport Member

013_10-618352.jpg

One of the women I dated asked me that "why do you have so many guitars" question. (Who am I kidding? Every woman I've dated has asked me that!) A couple months later, I'm helping her move to a new apartment, and I walked into her walk-in closet...

"You have eight black dresses? Why do you have so many black dresses? You can only wear one at a time. They all look the same to me."

From the living room, I heard: "Okay, OKAY! I'll never complain about your guitars again!"

:rofl:

17. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Not bragging but I had extremely good luck in finding keepers. Problem is I can't stop looking and end up buying more so they start to pile up.

18. efstop

efstop Senior Member

What I need to ask myself is, "Why do I need five dirt pedals and four tremolo pedals?" And my answer might be, "Because I want to hear how four tremolos or five dirt pedals in series sounds."

My guitars are all different. Even the two with P-90s have different P-90 designs.

19. rednefceleb

rednefceleb Senior Member

Man's best friend. His guitar.....and his dog. :)

wildhawk1 likes this.
  20. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I've had over 90 at one time when the market here in Austin was booming. Some stayed less than a few hours. I have about a dozen right now.

Dun Ringill and CRobbins like this.