"Why do you have so many guitars?"

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Mr Insane, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I had 8 tracks, too :)

SteveGangi and gk68 like this.
  2. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Senior Member

Geez, that's a nice "little collection". I'd post a picture of mine, but I don't have a wide enough angled lens to get all 212 in one picture.

Now the reason for having so many is we have 5 fingers on each of 2 hand and 5 toes on each of 2 feet so in euclidean mathematics that totals the need for a minimum of 215 ... so I have to buy 3 more.

I Break Things and gk68 like this.
  3. gk68

gk68 Junior Member

Well… in my life, I've owned about 50 guitars ; most were stolen at one time or another, so I'll have to go to the grave with only a Martin 1983 HD28, PRS Santana, Grodin hollow body, Gretsch ES335 type, an Ovation,…… etc. I'll buy a few more soon, after I get a 15 year overdue insurance settlement. I can't afford any of the vintage Les Pauls I once had, so….. Any recommendations for a Final Guitar…. Making a last album, as my days are, regrettably, numbered (Leukemia)…. So I need the most tone for the buck. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.. Doc.

4. gk68

gk68 Junior Member

5. DLRG

DLRG Senior Member

For me, they all have different qualities, different tones and a different feel about them. I have slim necks, fat necks and everthing in between. Rosewood, maple, ebony fretboards. Additionally, the various pickup configurations cater for my sound needs - for the time being!

Thankfully, Mrs DLRG is very supportive of my hobby. Though, by her own addmission, she is more inclined towards the aesthetics and colours than the playability.

Here's my lot: First the 'Lefties' then the 'not-Lefties'

GuitsL.jpg

GuitsR.jpg

X–Ray, CRobbins and Roberteaux like this.
  6. FunkyFingers

FunkyFingers Junior Member

Simple
    Because no two guitars are alike

DLRG likes this.
  7. pgodman

pgodman Junior Member

2017 Les Paul Custom - Walnut
    2015 Les Paul Deluxe - Goldtop
    2004 Les Paul Custom - Wine
    2010 Les Paul Standard - Desert
    1994 American Fender Tele - Black blonde neck
    1969 Strat Custom shop Relic Time Machine series - 2005 Black blonde neck
    Need to pick up some vintage.

8. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

Love that Explorer.

9. hecube

hecube Senior Member

Why so much food in the fridge?

Do you eat it all at once?

10. pbekkerh

pbekkerh Senior Member

???? NOBODY ever asks me that question!
    But then I'm single ;-)

I promised myself not to start a collection, so I almost only have 1 of each type.

OK I just bought another Mini M but one is tuned in A and the other in E ;-)

OK I might buy another les Paul to install a Bigsby on ;-)

OK and maybe an Arnold Hoyer model 27, my first el. guitar.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  11. Scott Gordon

Scott Gordon Junior Member

(THE NUMBER OF GUITARS YOU HAVE) + 1 = THE PROPER NUMBERS OF GUITARS TO OWN

:thumbs:

SteveGangi likes this.
  12. Not2oldYet20

Not2oldYet20 Junior Member

IMG_2975.JPG
    I always use the golf club analogy - 14 clubs in a bag, they are all golf clubs but for different times and purposes...
    Here are mine ... '54, '56, '57, and '58 LP RIs, '59 335 RI, Luther Dickenson 335, BB King Lucille 355; Hidden Fenders in the back ... '52 Nocaster, '54 Strat, '60 Strat, all RIs, and a PJ Bass.

CRobbins and Dun Ringill like this.
  13. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

We could buy "singles", they were called 78s and 45s.

So there! :D

BlankinLoud likes this.
  14. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Senior Member

Because I get off on it!

15. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Because life is tought and you have to be happy and have hobbies to relax your mind. And then guitar makes me happy and relaxed. Period.

Roberteaux likes this.
  16. lbiz

lbiz Senior Member

I remember buying whole albums because 90-100% of the songs were that good.

SteveGangi likes this.
  17. Sickboy1020

Sickboy1020 Junior Member

Junior, firebird, les paul....I’m happy. Personally I’d rather have a handful of great examples that I use constantly than a dozen I use occasionally.

18. desert burstLP

desert burstLP Junior Member

Doc, sorry to hear you are sick and I hope you are feeling ok. I don't have a huge collection but have a few nice guitars and have been lucky to play lots of the year (have some friends and old college roommates who are pro musicians). I have a '13 SG Standard with '57 Classic humbuckers. I think, for the price, this guitar offers massive bang-for-the-buck. I love the '57 Classics...they sound nice clean, amazing slightly dirty (like AC/DC amount of gain) - very harmonically rich - and they can handle high gain too. SGs seem to be overlooked for whatever reason but if you are ok with the thinner neck, they offer a lot of value as compared to a Les Paul Standard (I own one of these too and love it but they are definitely not cheap).

If you are more of a single coil guy, I tried out one of the new American Special Telecasters last weekend and, to my ear, they sound and feel a lot better than a Mexican Tele but you are saving some dough vs. an American Professional. They are pretty nice too.

Good luck - I hope you find what you are looking for.

Aidan

Roberteaux likes this.
  19. parts

parts Senior Member

I had 4 track Lear..and even had a car i bought with a record player..

Roxy13 likes this.
  20. fishy_fingers

fishy_fingers Junior Member

Thank you - if you mean 57+ guitars and not "guitars with 57+ pickups".

I know that most around here probably won't believe me -not without pics, which I am unwilling to provide, paper trail, you know ;-)- or make fun of me with knee-jerk comments like "I'll take them off your hands, if you don't want them anymore." But I DO want them, you know, I DO; that is the crux of the matter.

From when I started out with my first Epi Tribute Plus in Nov 2015, I have since acquired 42 guitars in total plus 3 basses, 3 amps, two keyboards and a drum kit, with ever increasing price tags to them.
    I have my own little homestudio in the basement of my house with a pumped up Mac Pro, several FX boards, mixers etc. :band:

It started with "Oh, I'll just get a few instruments and keep the best and sell off the rest. It will just take some time to find out what is what."
    By now it's turned from hobby to a megalomaniac's obsession.

Sometimes I take a look around at the "collection" and in all seriousness I am wondering what the fuck my problem is, what's damaged in my head and where this is going to end.

I can't let go of even the shoddiest of them all (a not very good Epi Trad Pro and a Yamaha acoustic which -by the sound and resonance - seems to have an invisible crack in the body somewhere).

And I don't even get around to play all that much -and I still don't play really well- since [so I tell myself] I am commuting between two cities and working 55+ hrs a week (I know, probably many of you probably share that fate, such is life). By the sheer numbers I could play a different guitar almost every damn week of the year before picking up the same one. Ok, so basically I work so much in order to buy stuff I don't have the time to use? Where is the logic in that, friend?

Right now? Right now I am thinking about jumping on some Gibson 2016 HP/2017 HP blowouts (though I already have several LPs, Vs and SGs from 2015,2016 and 2017) around here on remaining stock because for one thing, Monday is my birthday, and secondly I am wondering whether Gibson -with all of their financial mess- will make it through even 2018 as a company and you know, before the world runs out of new Gibsons, better be safe than sorry... :facepalm:.
    It's those "great deals" on this or that instrument on the 'bay, the-big-sender's lightning deals or just a used instrument in great shape from the music shop around the corner which are my downfall.

Also I am aware that for the money I have spent on the number of "normal" range instruments (think everything up to LP Standard and equivalents) I could have gotten at least a few from the "excellent" series of the instrument makers. But you know what: somehow I prefer having the many. :dunno:

I may sound like I'm making shit up -or if truthful sound like an asshole with too much money to burn as in "Bohoo, cry for the dude with his 1st world problems" - but hey, it's starting to become a real issue for me. ["So, I dunno - just stop?" As if that ever worked.]
    It's fun, but I assume so is any addiction before it finally ruins you. Don't get me wrong: my guitars give me joy, buying them, naming them, setting them up, keeping them in good shape and playing them gives me joy. But frequently it has become the feverish, hectic pleasure of the next fix, tainted by the feeling of guilt, far from the gentle contented happiness I am looking for.

Well, I didn't mean to keel over into full whining mode. And sorry for having gone all serial-killer-mood; just be sure to keep that GAS shit in check, everybody. :fingersx:
    I need to make my mind up before that Gibson deal ends...

Keep those fingers supple and have a good weekend
    ff

Dun Ringill and Roberteaux like this.