"Why do you have so many guitars?"

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Mr Insane, Feb 19, 2018.

1. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Well it's because I had to take a break from Hookers and Blow.

2. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

My reply is usually: I don't have to justify that to you, or anyone.

3. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I guess I’m lucky that I married a girl who plays guitar. Hers are nicer than mine, really.
    She plays a Collings 002M and Heritage H535 in tobacco burst. The 50’s Fender lap steel is technically hers, but I play it more.
    I have my two electrics and an acoustic, plus acoustic lap steel and nice ukulele. Plus a guild 12-string.
    Together we also have a shitty bass, banjo, and a few others I can’t remember and probably don’t really count. I think we’re around a dozen stringed instruments, plus my drums.
    She loves them all. :)

4. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Senior Member

I don't have 'that many' guitars....because 'that many' guitars = number of actual guitars + 1. So I guess I'd better go buying, hey?

defcrew and I Break Things like this.
  5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Probably a VERY over-priced historic with every mod and matching plastic bit available.

EasyAce and BlankinLoud like this.
  6. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

That’s really excessive OP. You should sell several a few of those sofa rockers and invest in pork bellies.

7. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

"Because having multiple women and / or cars is out of the question...?"

Mr Insane, Pop1655 and I Break Things like this.
  8. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

only have two guitars, but Simpson's Shaving Brushes, oh boy, now there's a real addiction for me

I Break Things likes this.
  9. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

I have eight electric guitars, and two acoustics.

Cutting things to the bone: I bought all but one out of sheer curiosity. I found that I couldn't really come to any sort of firm conclusions regarding the instruments I test-played at a guitar store, and didn't really enjoy doing so at length in that setting to begin with. So instead, I would develop an interest in a given type of instrument, go to a music store and play it long enough to conclude that I didn't actually dislike it-- and then I'd buy it. I then took the guitar home, and played it for quite a while before I finally got to where I figured out whether a given guitar was something I wanted to hang onto or not.

LOL Sometimes it took more than a year for me to come to some final conclusion-- though there were yet other instruments that I knew rather quickly would be a keeper. But then, I owned four of those electrics within one year of taking up the guitar to begin with. What could I really know at that point in the game? :D

This is the collection as it is as at this point in time:

[​IMG]

In my case, the true keepers are the Telecaster and the ES-335... but the rest, while being nice guitars, are not played constantly the way the Tele and the 335 are. Some of the others are barely played at all.

So I can take or leave any of the rest, and will probably end up selling a bunch of them off. I'm not in a big hurry about that, though. I'm not hurting for money at this moment. Sooner or later, the Rickenbacker 330/12 will probably be replaced by a 360/12 in fireglo... but the rest of the models and types have run their course. I cannot foresee myself replacing any of them with anything else. Except for replacing the 330 with a 360, I'm done with GAS for the foreseeable future.

Still, I don't have anything really bad to say about any of those I plan to ultimately dispose of. Obviously, I cannot be rightfully classified as a "Gibson Man" or a "Fender Man" or anything like that. Instead, I simply found a strong preference for the sound of Telecasters and the Gibson ES models in general.

I'm good with the two acoustics (not pictured). One is a Martin Martin D-15M and the other is a 12-string Martin GPC12PA4. I love both of those suckers-- neither one is going anywhere.

--R

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  10. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

I was going to mention that my wife gets it and defend the statements below, but it just read as pretentious as shit, so I'll just shut up.
    ************************************************************************************************************

Not to put a hole in everyone's bucket, but lets be completely honest about this for just a minute, gentlemen...

We either had them before we met our wives/girlfriends, or the wives/girlfriend gifted us one, or allowed us to purchase them. Even if you told her that you were gonna buy something, had she said "Like hell you are buying a guitar when we need a new refrigerator!" you would have bought a fridge.

You know it's true, so don't deny it.

Heppe and I Break Things like this.
  11. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

Because different guitars are like different sex positions: you are doing the same kind of thing with all of them, but each one fells different. And you gotta love them all.

12. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

You could try the line "well a man needs a lot of guitars because no one guitar has everything he needs. However I only need one woman " watch them wipe a tear of emotion and walk away then you return to playing your guitar :)

13. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Honestly, the more guitars I get, the more I want. I never thought too much about different guitars until I got my Strat. My heroes played a Les Paul, so I was content with my Epi LPC for years. Then, I started listening to more classic artists - Hendrix, Gilmour, SRV - and joined this place. I never really realized how vastly different guitars were - different scales, radiuses, pickup types and configurations. The stuff I learned here opened me up to a lot of new ideas and realizations.

So... Long story about my guitar acquisitions...

My mom and dad are really into music and like seeing me have a hobby that is productive and I'm passionate about. They've always been really supportive of me, even if they think what I'm doing is stupid! They got me an Ibanez acoustic for my 18th birthday, and I started learning. My mom loves acoustic, so she was happy. My dad likes it too, but he's an old rocker at heart.

Fast forward a few months. I'm still sticking with guitar and trying to learn more. He takes me to GC after my mom's doctors appointment - there's a funny, but horrible story in here. Mom says she'll stay in the car, and dad takes me into the store and we start looking. About 45 minutes later, my mom storms in calling my dad every name in the book and threatening to scratch his eyes out... We may have forgotten she was in there, and she had shingles... In the car... For 45 minutes... In Florida during the summer... After I collapse into a stand of strings from laughter and we tell the GC salesman we don't need to call the police, we leave with an Acoustic G20 amp and Ibanez Gio. Man, did those suck! But... I had an electric and DISTORTION! I start playing and learning more, about music, techniques, guitars, and setups. There's a problem though... That Ibanez was horrible and the neck made my carpal tunnel flare up badly. Oh, well. I love it too much to quit!

Fast forward two years, and I'm still playing that Ibanez. Now, I'm engaged and about to get married. I'm still living in Florida, so dad and I still hang out a lot. The GC used to be really nice in Tallahassee, so we would hang out there a lot. He noticed I almost always picked up a Les Paul to try out, specifically Customs with fat necks. I'm about to get married in a couple months, and dad gets me an Epiphone LPC in silverburst as a wedding present and some advice.

"Son, a man's not complete until he's married. Then, he's finished!"

"Oh, and just be prepared to never buy anything nice for yourself again, so here's a present from your mom and I."

Fast forward two more years, and after I joined this place. Y'all do not help with GAS at all! I'm still playing and getting better, and my musical tastes have broadened to include classic stuff - Hendrix, Pink Floyd, SRV, etc. I was GASing for a Strat so badly, but we have very low income. My wife is only able to work part-time because of chronic migraines. I'm unable to work because of my health problems. I can barely do college part-time! So any thoughts of getting a Strat are pushed to the backburner. Maybe in a couple decades when (if?) we're ever well enough to have decent hours and income.

My 22nd birthday rolls around, and my folks send me a Strat! A gorgeous MIM Plus Top - cherry burst with a maple fretboard and neck! It's my #1. I love the feel, the sound (especially after putting in noiseless pups and wiring the bridge pup to the tone knob - thank you again, @DarrellV!) I play this thing all the time. It's just incredible!

Fast forward to last Christmas and my wife and I are visiting my folks in Florida for a couple weeks. It was really nice getting to hang out with them. It had been 18 months since I'd seen them. Dad still has my old Ibanez Gio and he has a bass of his own. We hang out, play music, talk about music. My musical taste has expanded even more to include people like Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc. - Ibanez guys. My dad and I are looking at guitars and hanging out. We're talking about the CITES issues around rosewood, and an Ibanez catches my eye. It's an S670QM and very different from my LP and Strat - Ibanez Edge tremolo, 24 frets, very flat radius on a rosewood board, HSH pickup configuration. Mom calls up Sweetwater to ask about it, and the man there talks about CITES with her a bit. My folks put it on backorder and told me it's an early birthday present!

So I currently own four guitars - that Ibanez acoustic, my Epi LPC, my Strat, and my new Ibanez S670QM. I'll never get rid of any of them if it can be helped. They're all gifts with a story and memories.

And now we come back to the OP. I have four drastically different guitars with very different tones and feel, and I'm very happy with all of them. And yet... I'm still GASing for a Tele thanks to you guys! :laugh2:

So the answer for why I have so many guitars? Because my parents are very sweet and love giving gifts, especially now that they're retired. How many guitars do you need? Always one more than you have! :laugh2:

ramaglia375, Gem23, DarrellV and 3 others like this.
  14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

I really wasn't buy guitars hardly at all before I was married and while I was playing in bands.

It was until I quit playing that I started REALLY buying up guitars.

I got to point where the collection supports itself now. I sell a few guitars to bring 1 or 2 new ones into the fold.

Our income does not support my guitar buying habits at all.

I pretty much buy what ever I want as long as my collection can support it, and it does.

Since my son is a guitar player also, I was allowed to buy guitars during the building up stage of my collection because the guitars were for both of us.

Now that I'm up to my 57+, it's easy to sell and buy as needed.

No permission needed from my wife at all.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Dun Ringill likes this.
  15. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

I`ve owned as many as 60 at once.
    Just tell your wife you need different colors to match what you re wearing, just like her purse, shoes, scarves, etc.
    She should feel lucky you don`t collect cars!!!!

Btw, I currently own 2 Les Pauls and an acoustic.

Maynar likes this.
  16. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

I am still buying, just got that sg I posted about but 4 weeks ago I made a bedroom into a studio and bought a Korg Kross 2 yamaha HS 8s to make backing tracks and more than drums and bass to play to. I now have two keyboards and 8 guitars

20180106_170518.jpg

:)

17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I've mentioned a few times that we're doing a pre-move purge at the house getting ready to downsize.
    I've spent the last few months ridding myself of "stuff". I can't tell you how many things I've stumbled across in that process that were "why the hell did I buy that" head shakers. My goal is to no longer have a "collection" of anything. The questioning of my past habits has made me re-think the process somewhat on this current habit. Time will tell how successful I'll be.

X–Ray, Roberteaux and artis_xe like this.
  18. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

you're single __ aren't you ( ? ) :laugh2:

HCRoadie, Gem23, BlankinLoud and 2 others like this.
  19. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

I would love to be in your shoes.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  20. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Everyone needs a hobby..:dude: