Why do some people consider MIM Fenders to be crap?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Shadowplayer, Oct 20, 2013.

1. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I have two MIA Fenders, a Tele and a Strat. The Tele is perfect the Strat has one part that I did not change, the body. I have been fighting this thing for years. I was going to buy a new Strat and played as many as I could over a few days. I best Strat I ever played was the Squier 50 Vib Classic. The MIA strong second and last was the MIM. We can go a day with out food but we can't go with out a rationalisation

2. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

When I was trying out strats a couple months ago the best ones (for me) were the MiM's. don't know why, I just liked the necks better than the American Standards. I went with an American Special, but I was very impressed by the MiM's...

3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I found one in a Ventura pawn shop a few years back for $250 with a stunning flamed-maple neck -- I mean, one slab of maple, rosie fretboard, but you could see the flame-grain rising through the neck, and the headstock . Tried it out through a Carvin copy of a 4-input Marshall, and just fantastic Jimitone.

But I was in the pawnshop for the wrong reasons, you know? Shit happens. But that day I reckoned I'll fetch me up an MiM Strat one day soon.

3 people like this.
  4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

They are great modding platforms!

5. Salamae

Salamae Senior Member

I've had a MIM Strat for almost 10 years and it's been a great guitar in every sense and I wouldn't ever get rid of it. But I still can't get over that ugly black plastic surrounding the truss rod access at the headstock instead of wood on the MIA, or even no surround like on some Squiers would be better. If I were buying another Fender I'd get an American for that reason alone, because I'm crazy like that.

I don't think the build and materials quality varies significantly. I mean, even the American Deluxe series uses locking tuners made by Ping now.

1 person likes this.
  6. Paulinator

Paulinator Banned

I'm sure you're more educated on the subject than myself, but I can't tell a difference in quality in regards to pots, caps, and wiring. What do you look/listen for? I honestly don't know. There are people that supposedly have worked for Fender that swear that since about 2006 that the wiring etc. are the same between MIM and MIA. I've also read that MIM wind their own pickups, therefore they're slightly different, but that's the only difference.

I don't doubt that there could be pot/cap/wiring differences. I know that the fretwork can be sloppier on a MIM, but the last two MIMs I've purchased both have perfect fretwork, both are 2013 models.

7. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Plus, it is The InterWebz.

You show how kewl you are, by ranting about how something / everything is utter shit. Just about every "review" or "critique" forum has a bunch of spoiled kids raging on how shitty everything is... Fender/Marshall/Gibson/HyGain/D'Angelico/ALL_OF_IT. Everything is shit and nothing is br00TalZ enuff. Or something :hmm:

I have a '06 MIM Tele and a '96 MIM Strat. I can play everything on them, that I could (and did) play on much more expensive instruments - just as well, or just as poorly.

4 people like this.
  8. The Archer

The Archer Senior Member

I don't. It doesn't cost much more to get a Strat made in the USA by Mexicans

9. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I'm not certain if you are sarcastic or ? but I meant that a band that flaunts ethnic heritage using guitars made in their country of origin is a statement in and of itself.

10. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

They are good guitars, I'd play em till the frets needed work then get a new one.:)

11. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

Gibson guitars are all made here. Fender Mexican products are very good to excellent. I know they had messed up the Pro Junior for a while there. Many people complained about them having a hum. The newer ones don't have that problem. Even though they made many Korean Strats in the 90s. I've only ever seen one used one for sale. When I went back to check it out it was gone! I use to have a beautiful Korean Squier Stratocaster I took apart and put it together (the right way!), which I wish I never sold! Back then they made Squier Strats in Mexico as well. My friend has an awesome one.

12. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to Chinese electrics it is hit or miss. I have two one rules and, the other is not as hot.

13. tubeman426

tubeman426 Senior Member

I'm sure the Mexican and American guitars are both cnc machined so consistency should be pretty good. But get a Mexican guitar in lacquer and it will always sound better than the American version, because in mexico they can use the old enviromentaly unfriendly lacquer, were in America they have to use low ve water based lacquer which make the wood soggy and dead sounding. :laugh2:

14. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

:laugh2:

2 people like this.
  15. ghost driver

ghost driver Senior Member

First let me say that I believe you can find a very good guitar that's not MIA. Having said that it seems like almost all MIM Fenders I've tried has electronic issues. The pots are loose or bent, The jacks are loose or have connection problems. The other thing I've noticed is the frets just seem sharp and unfinished. This is just my experience and I have played a few MIM that I would buy.

16. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I can polish hell out of frets to save some C notes...

:D

17. colchar

colchar Banned

A former roommate of mine had a Mexican Squier and it was a great guitar.

18. colchar

colchar Banned

I picked up my fifth MIM today. I have owned three MIM Standard Strats, a Classic Series '50s Tele, and a Baja Tele.

Only the Baja, which is the most expensive of the lot, had any electronics issues (my tech discovered a wire that had never been soldered properly). Another had a loose strap button but that was easily tightened and doing so only takes ten seconds so no big deal. The jack on the Classic '50s was too tight for the connector to fit in but it took my tech less than two minutes to fix that. The person installing them had obviously just tightened it a turn or two too many.

All of those issues are minor and because they are so easily fixed are not really worth worrying about.

At the same time, I have bought a $2000 Gibson Les Paul that we later noticed had a small crack in the neck (coming from the nut). And before buying the MIM Standard that I picked up today I was trying out lower priced Gibsons (the LPJ model) that were on sale for the same price as a MIM Standard but that normally sell for roughly $200 more. One of them played really well but had a scratched up headstock so I didn't buy it (the scratching most likely happened in the store so not Gibson's fault). The others, however, played like absolute crap. There was no way that I was going to spend money on any of them. I got a much better guitar for my money picking up the MIM Standard.

3 people like this.
  19. Slick Willy

Slick Willy Senior Member

I get to go and play all kinds of guitars twice a week. Good friend owns a shop. One of the best Fenders I have ever played was a MIM tele. I picked up a CV from him because it was cheap and sounded great. I went in to look at the 51 reissue he had and left with a Squier. Gear snobs will always down the cheaper of the 2 no matter what. I just smile and go on, its their loss not mine. As far as I know theres no law say another country can't make a good guitar.

1 person likes this.
  20. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

Well, I rate my Baja telecaster very highly and there is no MIA equivalent IIRC. Compared to other Tele's I've tried, I find the neck and pickups to be really nice.

My Strat is a CIJ 50's re-issue, Buddy Holly style, 2-tone burst, maple neck. It's a great guitar and it compares well IMHO with a custom shop version, and in fact I prefer the neck profile on my CIJ.

I'm not an historian, but wasn't there a period where all stratocasters were MIJ ?

1 person likes this.