Why do some people consider MIM Fenders to be crap?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Shadowplayer, Oct 20, 2013.

1. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Cite figures.
    How many MIAs have you taken in delivery?
    How many of THOSE had issues that caused an RMA to be issued?

1 person likes this.
  2. NRVPaul

NRVPaul Senior Member

Among Fender, Gibson and PRS, Fender is the only in this category that has had these issues. Pickups not working, switches not working. I am talking about 2k and above guitars. Where the hell is the QC? 3 in the last 60 days of about 30-40 MIAs. I have more faith in the MIMs at this pint.

1 person likes this.
  3. ant_riv

ant_riv Senior Member

I don't have much to add, other than my opinion.

I have and have had numerous MIA strats, going back to real '50s, '60s, '70s, etc.

There have been gems and dogs in each era. I still have all of my favorites.

But my current favorite is a MIM Robert Cray neck on a MIM body with David Allen pups.

As many of you have stated, a good guitar is a good guitar.

The skill level of the craftsmen in Mexico, Korea, China, etc. has risen quite noticeably and the only real differences often are the quality of the raw materials, which is usually determined by a suit who is aiming for a price-point for a product-line.

We live in such a great time that so many great guitars are available at so many price points.

2 people like this.
  4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

David Allen's Pickup ROCK!

2 people like this.
  5. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I just got into an MiM.

Other than the pots, caps and wiring, I don't see anything wrong with the quality at all. None of these parts are expensive to replace, either.

1 person likes this.
  6. stealthelephant

stealthelephant Senior Member

Apparently the metal parts wear faster. I had one and it sounded fantastic. Sold it for the exact price I bought it. The only reason I got ride of it cos it was a pain to adjust the relief ( that particular model had to have its neck removed to do it )

2 people like this.
  7. KP

KP Senior Member

Most of the people saying that have their heads up their asses. I wonder how many of them can even play decently.

3 people like this.
  8. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Agreed. Most folks want to believe that spending more makes them a more legitimate player. I would be a liar if I did not say that I was guilty of this at one time.

Guitars either tell me to take them home or not. Every time I try to plan a guitar purchase, it never works. All of my "keepers" chose me. Many are American made but some are not. The last one was a MIM Tele that has become one of my favorites. Also, no matter how much i spend on a guitar, I always change crap to align the guitar more with my individual preferences.

I have some issue with MIC only for personal philosophical reasons. This is my loss really as some of the cooler guitars that I see lately come from there!:sadwave:

1 person likes this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Senior Member

@2009lpgt what guitar you get has more to do with how much you make than how good you are, I have never seen a correlation between price and skill. Don't really have a problem with it either, people are free to spend their cash as they see fit. :)

2 people like this.
  10. ll IrOn CiTy ll

ll IrOn CiTy ll Banned

As long as guitars are made by men,you will have good ones and bad ones.

Play before you pay!

1 person likes this.
  11. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Good comment. Not sure why it is directed at me and what I wrote but we are not in disagreement.:thumb:

3 people like this.
  12. Airplane

Airplane Senior Member

I have a white mexican strat with maple fingerboard and a humbucker on the bridge position and i really like it. of course, compared to my R9 or my ES 345 it's not as good as them, but hey it's a 500$ guitar not a 5000$... sounds good, fun to play, i wouldn't say it sucks.

13. Scott_UK

Scott_UK Senior Member

Personally I think there's a lot of snobbery with regards to the MIA and MIM Fenders. I have both, a MIA Lone star and a MIM Road worn, and I regularly change my mind of which I prefer.

As previously said, there's good and bad ones that come out of both countries.

4 people like this.
  14. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Senior Member

because they're stupid

2 people like this.
  15. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Senior Member

I can recall about 20-25 years ago, when I was new to playing, I was at a music store and I compared a MIM strat to a USA strat. I really could tell the difference in quality.

Fast forward to maybe 10 years ago, and really the gap is non-existent. MIM guitars have improved and are very nice instruments. But that is to be expected, that's how economics works. Mexico's supply of skilled labor and service has increased as they have had exposure to these industries. The same thing happened in Japan in the '60s and '70s. At first only cheap junk came from Japan but by the late 70's it was quality stuff! The same thing is happening in Asia now: China can now often make high quality products, and because of that their ability to command higher prices is following suit (as it always does). Now the emerging markets are Vietnam, etc.

So anyway, many people still are clinging to the memories of a time when MIM meant cheap, and low quality.

3 people like this.
  16. claydots

claydots Member

Snobbery.. If it plays good, sounds good and you are happy with it, that is all that REALLY COUNTS

7 people like this.
  17. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

This may be funny, but I see this in the forum. I always have to point out hat that the computer they are using is made in some foreign country. It's the biggest form of hypocrisy, IMO.

3 people like this.
  18. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Totally agree.

"Buy American!... But British Amps are ok, even though they aren't made in America." The thinly veiled implication being that ethnicity, not nationality, is the real issue.

This is sad.

6 people like this.
  19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

MiMs are cool. There's an MiM Strat in my future, no doubt.

5 people like this.
  20. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Love mine!

It's always tied for first place with whatever flavor-of-the-month guitar I may fancy at the moment.

I just yanked my HSH setup, and wired up some vintage-spec pups in mine, and I think it may be the best setup yet! (I have said that before, though)

2 people like this.