Why did YOU join MLP?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thumpalumpacus, Jul 23, 2011.

1. SpiritOfTheAge

SpiritOfTheAge Junior Member

Hi, Joined to learn and share. Bought a studio this week and need to share the love.

1 person likes this.
  2. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Why did I join MLP?

Took a tour of the Luthier's Corner, was bowled-over by the virtual tonnage of information, tips, techniques, jigs and pure-D talent demonstrated by the crowd in there.

Signed up immediately. Stayed in there exclusively for a year, rarely if ever venturing out of that sub-forum. Learned more in that year in there than in the entire time I've spent building guitars previously.

Then I ventured out and got the swing of the place, met people, forged life-long friendships, talked a ton of topics, learned things, laughed 'till I cried, accepted the job of moderator, and now myself and "The Admiral" are flying out across the country annually to take part in the great Philly Guitar Show and MLP meet-up.

7 people like this.
  3. StonedCrow

StonedCrow Senior Member

I joined to learn more about about Les Pauls, I was shocked at how little I know about a model of guitar that I have been playing foe two thirds of my life, so decided to do something about that and signed up here.

2 people like this.
  4. teenslain

teenslain Junior Member

I just bought an early 70s LP Custom (pretty much like James Williamson's, except his is a '69) and came on here to check the serial/pot numbers before I let Tym Guitars in Brisbane have my credit card deets...

I sold my last Les Paul, an '81 Gold Top Standard, in the mid 90s to buy a sampler... Yeah, I know... *weeps*

I've got a '58 DC Junior, a '75 Tele Deluxe that I adore (first proper guitar), a 2011 LP shaped Melody Maker (which kicks ass and has been my #1 for the last year)... A Tokai TV Junior, Tokai SilverStar, Epiphone Wilshere (the reissue, love it), a '62 Silvertone 1448 (no case, picked up in Memphis in the late 90s, signed by Roger McGuinn... Weird...) and a '37 Kalamazoo K14... I think that's all of them...

Nice to be here, I love Gibson guitars...

I just moved to Australia from London six months ago, loving the sunshine (and the cheap Les Pauls)... :D

Thx, Joe

2 people like this.
  5. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

Hi All !!!

new member long time lurker .

you guys have some great information and insight .

glad to be part of the group, hope I can add to the community .

2 people like this.
  6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Cause.

2 people like this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

'Cause why? Huh?

1 person likes this.
  8. blacai

blacai Member

Tons of info and nice people. Uncommon these days for a forum where people give their opinions.

2 people like this.
  9. BillK01

BillK01 Senior Member

I joined because I traded my Jimmie Vaughan strat to Pop for his Epi 60s T+ and he said I had to. :)

3 people like this.
  10. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Junior Member

I joined because I'm just such a huge Bro-....wait...this ISN'T a My Little Pony Forum??? Where am, I??

:naughty:

Really, though, I joined for the knowledge of the techs and players on here. The things I've learned in the short time I've been here have already been huge in my advancement in my guitar setup and tech know-how. Not to mention it's just a generally friendly place!

2 people like this.
  11. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

No, no, you are correct here - My Little Pony MLP :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

4 people like this.
  12. Playyouraxeon11

Playyouraxeon11 Banned

Why am I here? Where am I? Who am I? I've no idea but I like the stuff about bunnies and cows. I don't know what "backstage" is. Am I "backstage?"

Two tomatoes in the fridge - one says to the other "It's cold in here, isn't it?"
    The other says "Swipe me! A talking tomato!"

On the shelf below, a banana says to another - "Did you hear that? Those tomatoes spoke!" The other says "Don't be so stupid!".

Well, no Les Paul but Gibson rule. I love, love, love my ES335 vos, best money I ever spent on a guitar. Massive good! The other one is a cheap 2013 60's Tribute SG Standard with BBs 1&2. If you're pushed for dough, check that out, great, great guitar for small beans if you can find one. Buy on sight. Proper earbleed (but nothing on that 335, Hendrix was a fool for not using those). I don't buy guitars often, I keep them a long, long time. All the purchasing decisions I made were always very quick. If it fits "me", I'll have it on the spot. Any guitar I tried that didn't feel as though it has my name on it from the factory, I left it in the shop. Yeah, it's rare. it takes a long time to find a guitar and it's ten times more difficult for acoustics.

I like reading all those quotes people seem to find (Einstein, etc), I like reading, I'm nuts about the guitar. I want to find real people to play stuff with like we used to do in the 70's - all this tec stuff is terrific but nothing beats being in a band! That was way back then, today I'm less shy - I want to tell the public just how mental it's possible to be on the electric guitar once we forget the clichés of pentatonic blues and backing a pop singer. Amps? The bigger the better, put all the sh+t on and lets go to pandemonium! I want to improvise completely and literally without anyone having a clue what we're doing.

I feel sorry for anyone that doesn't play the guitar, I don't know how they get by at all. My neighbours are great, they actually like it, poor fools.

My advice? Sign nothing, take cash. Happy New Year to all, let's have a great time.

3 people like this.
  13. Playyouraxeon11

Playyouraxeon11 Banned

Yeah, My Little Pony came up. Wasn't this Hanna Montana before she became the twerking queen? I don't know anything, my kids were boys.

1 person likes this.
  14. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Silver Supporter

Okay, he can join. At least half of what he said I understood...
    that's good enough for me...

2 people like this.
  15. Lucypr

Lucypr Junior Member

I've been playing guitar since I was 8...
    Now I'm getting old... I can't almost play anymore because of hand pain, but I still love my guitar(s)...

1 person likes this.
  16. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

The initial draw card was the luthier corner.. im a part time builder (read hobbyist), so many of my questions had answers there.

2 people like this.
  17. kostiainen

kostiainen Junior Member

I like Les Pauls and musician forums.

1 person likes this.
  18. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Originally joined because I had bought an LPJ 2 1/2 years ago and I wanted to excel at my new hobby by arming myself with as much knowledge as possible. MLP is easily my favorite forum/social website and is filled with good, knowledgable people who share the same love for music, and playing as I do.

1 person likes this.
  19. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I came across the site while searching for info on some kinda guitar…I think it was a Les Paul…started coming back a few times to read some of the info and check out the pix. Then, after getting my second Les Paul, I figured it was my duty to join.

(LOL…I said “duty” :rofl:)

2 people like this.
  20. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Junior Member

I'm sure glad someone got that! :laugh2:

2 people like this.