Why did YOU join MLP?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thumpalumpacus, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Heh, and then you found some Klownz!

Looks like this thread has a double-posting issue, but that's cool ... I'mma like every goddamned one, just 'cause. I got much love for this site, enough to make me tell grammar to go to Hell.

2. dave b

dave b Senior Member

I joined to ask a question about swapping tuners, learned just about everything I will ever need to know about LPs, and ''then'' discovered the Backstage. I waste waaaaay too much time here.:laugh2:

3. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I came here for the chicks...

Oy! What a sausagefest this place is!

Okay, real reason is that I used to post at the gibson.com forums and it was cool if a bit slow. AXE, Thundergod, KSG Standard, FennRX, bluemoon, jessenoah and some others started talking about this place - particularly AXE did a lot of jabbering about it. The gibson.com boards were getting to be a bit slow and, while the mods were cool, there wasn't as much freedom there as there is here nor was there the wide variety of topics about all things, including gear, as there is at MLP.

It's kind of weird as I've been playing guitar for over 25 years and have been haunting message boards since at least the late 90's but I had never thought about checking out let alone joining any guitar related message boards up until several years ago. It's probably because I don't find there to be much new to talk about classic guitars, especially Les Pauls or Strats or any other guitar that's been written about to death over the decades but every now and then I still run across some interesting tidbit that piques my interest. Fortunately, MLP also has discussions about effects, amps and weird minutiae plus my favorite - The Backstage - which I find infinitely more fascinating that just discussing the 247th iteration of Les Paul that Gibson threw on the market.

Love this place!

4. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

they blocked Facebook at work
    and I landed here way too many times after a google search for something

ledzepp2122, Matt_21, ed1996 and 4 others like this.
  5. River

River Senior Member

Shit if I remember, at least precisely. I had recently decided I needed to get back into music or die trying, bought myself an Epi Junior because I couldn't face my old '92 Standard (it's haunted, but we've come to terms since), had it massively upgraded to serve as an outlet and monkey-brains-sink, and started playing again.

Yeah, that's it - I was thinking of exorcising the '92 to a worthy home and was Googling to find out more about it, what it might be worth, what the serial number meant, etc. I landed here.

[​IMG]

This God-forsaken place has been very good to me. I try daily to pay that forward - cryptically and snarkily, I'm told.

I'm very happy to be here.

6. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

About a year ago I was hooked on the Derek Trucks Already Free album and went on a quest to find me an SG. Had started gigging again about a year previous, with an old Strat and an old Epi LP through an old Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. I wanted to get a nice Gibson SG and a tube amp.

Looked at an SG at Sam Ash for $1199 and talked them down to $999 as low as they would go. Looked it over for a while and realized I wasn't too impressed with it for that kind of price.

I then found myself in a little guitar shop that bought and sold only vintage American made guitars. I thought I might find an old SG there. I fell in love with a 99 R7 hanging on the wall. It was flawless and was made to fit my hands.

I gave myself a two week cooling off period so I wouldn't make an impulse buy. I found over those two weeks I couldn't stop thinking about it every day. I even had visions of the GT and me running towards each other on the beach in slow motion. :cool: I knew I had to have it so I went back and got it.

Then I found MLP while I was trying to find out everything I could about that guitar. The amount of knowledge and expertise here blew me away and I have been hooked ever since.

Since joining MLP I've installed a Jonesy 50s harness in the R7. Completely overhauled all the hardware on the 89 Epi LP, restored an orphaned ExNihilo with new bridge/TP and ShepTone P90s, picked up a Classic 30 and installed a Vintage 30 speaker, found a 64 BF DR, re-tensioned the tube sockets, installed a Weber 12F150. Next is new pups and wiring in an 02 Tv Yellow Lp Special.

I would never even have dreamed of making all those mods myself, without the help and information all the kind souls in this forum graciously provided.

MLP has cost me a few bucks, but I can make some hellacious noises now. :cool:

This place Rocks. :dude: Thanks again MLP. :thumb:

mrfett and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  7. 0x00

0x00 Banned

MLP is #2 google hit for edwards les paul and I prefer BBS with dark background.

mrfett and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  8. sonar1

sonar1 Senior Member

I was on an alt.adult.sex.fetish.hamster/ductape.spam newsgroup and was referred here.

Actually, I became aware of MLP after buying a Gothic Studio LP and wondering what the pickups were.
    But I didn't stay long and the guitar eventually wound up in my son's hands, since I have been primarily a Tele guy for a long time.

But after buying my used/trashed Mesa/Boogie Mark-IV the Tele wasn't cutting it, and I just missed on a used VM Studio I thought could win me over to Gibsons again, after decades away.

So I came here for info on the brown mahogany top LP Studio faded before buying it.

Turns out the advice was right on the money, so I registered. Hung out in the LP part for a while, but eventually discovered that the backstage was where everybody talked about everything, including what there were already catagories for. I like the fun in dysfunction, so most of the time I'm here at the backstage.

9. Thumpalumpacus

Damned straight. This site shoots to Hell the stereotype of the air-headed musician.

I personally think that we should take over the world, if we can ever agree on the whole "fascism-vs-communism" conundrum.

In all seriousness, I wonder what filter it is operating here that ups the insight on the posts. Even those we disagree with seem to really put thought into their stuff, amirite?

Mindfrigg and LIBERTYMACHINE like this.
  10. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

I have no idea. :laugh2:

11. Emmitt Fitzhume

Emmitt Fitzhume Senior Member

Because I got a Gibson LP and I seem to join forums for whatever I'm interested in. I'm also a member of a couple skiing forums and the unofficial forum for employees at my airline, among others.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I was warned about this place. Told it was a bad place. But then I kept seeing links to the build threads and to the vintage forum. I wanted to see the photos on the vintage forum, so I reluctantly opened an account.

Where I live, in the mountains, the winters are long and cold and the snow is DEEP. MLP has mega content! Those two things go hand in hand! I usually read until I am inspired to go into the other room and jam.

It doesn't take long to sort out the people you 'recognize' even though you have never met them. There are now some people here that I would walk right into a room and sit down with and start talking to them like I had known them all my life. Mostly because I kinda have.

If you have played music and played in bands, played parties for free, and crappy little clubs for free, and had the time of your life doing it, you already know me. :D

13. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

I came looking for information on the Gibson Studio Robots being blown out at Sam Ash. I read everything I could about them...and I bought one anyway. ;)

Ed Zeppeli, Thumpalumpacus and mdubya like this.
  14. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

OMFGWTFLOLLERSKATEZ!!!! An AXE sighting! :applause:

15. 99light

99light Senior Member

When i finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a Gibson LP i started doing all sorts of research to make sure i got the most for my dollar, The over all atmosphere and attitude of this site compared to the other LP site i found, this one just seemed to be better.

I did my basic research, read all the stickies, then asked my questions and got great pointers and advise. After that, the rest they say is history

16. 99light

99light Senior Member

We also have some really good assholes !:thumb:

17. Thumpalumpacus

I'd appreciate you staying on-topic there, rather than addressing sexual proclivities.

LIBERTYMACHINE and sonar1 like this.
  18. Blackie

Blackie Banned

Because AXE was round here.... and

.... I went to search on how to fix an issue on one of my Ford F150's ...

... and I discovered a forum for that ... and have been to several meet ups too.

... Then I thought ....hey ... there might be a Gibson forum ... yep ... so I went round..

Heck ... I was sober and clean too ... even Duane V... liked me back then ......

..... and then I fell off the wagon and went to cussin folks out etc in between psychotic posts that were deleted for the most part ....

...and I learned what being banned was .... I learned what being double banned was ya know coming back as a different name ... and I eventually just went the fu-k off totally and got a permanent ban .... for coming back as 4 different guys all at once and ngetting in a mega brawl with myself ... and any other poor fool .. nearby ...

I tried ... Everything SG ... but those guys are all wacked out similar to me so there was not the conflict I need .. and the place is slow ...

....... So .... I came over here ... and promptly got in a big fight ... after I posted a vid of some comedy stuff insulting the quality of Gibson .. then ya know I was banned for I think ...threatning that rabbit guy and his ribbits ,,,, and also saying I was going to drive across the country to mess someone up ... etc.

..... Then I got a reprieve from ALEX ..... and so I dialed it back.

........ WALLA .....

mrfett, Lowdown, Tim Fezziwig and 6 others like this.
  19. 99light

99light Senior Member

lol, man, i walked right into that one :thumb:

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  20. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Where the hell am I??

I just stopped in to gather some info on a Epiphone '56 and I can't seem to find my way out.:shock: What year is it??

McCloud9 and Thumpalumpacus like this.