Why did America never produce a truly legendary rock band?

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by teame1, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

Cheers for the correction - You are right!!

Edit, just found out; it was Rubber Soul that Pet sounds was inspired by
    http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/35453/The-Beach-Boys-Pet-Sounds/

BTW - It was Ray Manzerick I believe who said about the Sgt Pepper influence. I really like The Soft Parade :slash: the title tracks with all the different sections and the eerie harpsichord is just amazing! It is a flawed album I know, but I love the band so much I find it hard to admit that :laugh2:

The influence of The Beatles is just ridiculous! I think if Britian had produced only the Beatles, then that is enough of a contribution on it's own. Pink Floyd, Queen, Zeppelin, inventors of metal Black Sabbath and all the other amazing bands are just cherries on a very nice tasting cake :)

Matt

mudfinger and crawlingkingsnake like this.
  2. red dog

red dog Banned

And who was the inspiration to the Beatles for Rubber Soul?

Americans. . . Bob Dylan and The Byrds.

Everything is circular, Master Sparrow.

3. FLICKOFLASH

FLICKOFLASH V.I.P. Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZwS0ZonEU]Ted Nugent - Great White Buffalo (1987) - YouTube[/ame]

ACELUEK likes this.
  4. bon-yr-aur

bon-yr-aur Senior Member

the doors? the eagles?

5. Cpt Matt Sparrow

Cpt Matt Sparrow Senior Member

and before them, your good friends, the lovely Europeans :) - Dylan and The Byrds owe a huge debt to the traditional folk music of the British Isles - songs like 'Scarborough Fair' for example, are literally hundreds of years before their time!

and lets not forget these chaps who influenced and changed the world too :) Britten, Stravinsky, Vaughan Williams, Mahler, Brahms, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Purcell ...:slash: European classical music's influence is probably the most important and most influential music in the universe LOL

LOL - I couldn't agree more, that is exactly the point I am making too...a combined effort. Where would music be without Africa- their indigenous music is thought to be thousands of years old - and many of our modern styles such as jazz, blues and even hip hop, can be traced back to this. This clip is very bluesy...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-FGHoYBtjs&feature=player_embedded]African Roots of the Blues Part 3 Gonjey Indigenous Violin - YouTube[/ame]

RebelsofRocknRoll and EasyAce like this.
  6. crawlingkingsnake

crawlingkingsnake Senior Member

But, the brass and strings concept were brought in by the producer Paul Rothchild – not the band's idea, and something they never warmed to.[/QUOTE]

Actually brass and stringed instruments were both Ray Manzarek's and John Densmores ideas to use on the Soft Parade...They had talked about adding that to some music before The Soft Parade was even being recorded...They argued with Rothchild for awhile over it...

1 person likes this.
  7. crawlingkingsnake

Holy Shit!!! I just realised how old the last post was.....sorry everyone...
    Just wanted to add a little 2 cents pertaing to The Doors....sorry all who reads this lol

1 person likes this.
  8. SGMM

SGMM Senior Member

Was worth the thread resurrection to be reminded of this bit of laughable jackasserry right here:

Aerosmith & Metallica "only huge in the usa" ?? ....ZZTop "not top tier" ??.... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: !!

4 people like this.
  9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Well, that's Teame1 for you. He's much more interested in stoking conversation than he is in making cogent additions to it.

1 person likes this.
  10. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

And, except for the title track, "Shaman's Blues," and "Wishful Sinful," the album is still the Doors' weakest. (Which still makes The Soft Parade one whale of a lot better than, say, Their Satanic Majesties Request, which had only two solid tracks---both of which ended up as two sides of the same single---and sounded otherwise like the worst side of a bad acid trip.) It wasn't a terrible idea to experiment with brass and/or strings, but when you're putting up a set of material that isn't all that strong to begin with, those experiments aren't going to work.

That said, as to the OP's original question I can't remember now if anyone mentioned, beside the Doors, the Velvet Underground . . . who were nothing if not the personification of legendary, granted that their legend really began at around the time the Velvets dissipated . . .

1 person likes this.
  11. crawlingkingsnake

And what are you referring Their satanic majesties request, being?

For a short lived band of 6 years, with 6 albums or 8 if you include american prayer, and their live album..They have sold over 75 miilion records, and still to this day they are selling more than 1 million each year. To me thats pretty good for an iconic band of the 60's, and of the legendary bands of all time.....

2 people like this.
  12. b3john

b3john Senior Member

tl;dr (nice necropost, though!)

[​IMG]

:applause:

3 people like this.
  13. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. ACELUEK

ACELUEK ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON

KISS
    Years "in action" = 39 years so far
    Studio Albums = 20 (35 total albums)
    Albums Sold = 37,500,000 (not bad) Others say over 200 Million.. Trying to get the right number.
    Gold = 28
    Platinum = 30

1 person likes this.
  15. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

If you look at the Rolling Stones in terms of their best period having been from 1964-72 (for me, nothing they've done since was anywhere in the same range as 1972's Exile on Main Street), they had one truly certifiable stinker in the pack---and, with the exceptions of "She's a Rainbow" and "2,000 Light Years from Home," Their Satanic Majesties' Request was it.

You sound as though I were putting the knock on the Doors overall. I wasn't. (I've been a fan since the beginning.) They're entitled to their stinker, and The Soft Parade for the most part was (and is) their stinker. (Which makes me wonder about Paul Rothschild---he might have been right in tussling with them over the brass and strings, he might not have been right about it, but if he could and did dismiss L.A. Woman to the day he died as "****ing cocktail lounge music," it's enough to make you question his marble. Singular.)

By the way, I'd also include in their roll of albums Live at the Matrix '67. Recorded right on the threshold of their first album going big, you get to hear the Doors (and I mean really hear them, it sounds almost like the Matrix, a tiny place to begin with, was half empty when they were going through their paces) playing like their lives depended on it tightening up the material that was about to make their name for keeps. Of all the posthumous live releases (and there are some jewels in there, the Felt Forum package among them especially), Live at the Matrix '67 just might have the most revelatory live performances of all.

Absolutely Live, to which I think you were referring with "their live album," should have been better. There were reasons why that double album ended up as a $2.99 cutout item in bulk for several years to follow. I know, because I bought a copy out of the cutout bins---it got there real fast, to my then-surprise---and when I took it home I heard a couple of solid performances and a lot of performances which just reached out and screamed in your face what you didn't really need anyone else to tell you, that they could have done so much better, found so much better to assemble a live album. When I heard Alive, She Cried and Hollywood Bowl in the 1980s, I thought that if that had supplanted much of what was on Absolutely Live in the first place (both those sets have since been tacked onto the Absolutely Live material to make The Doors in Concert, but I say again that those sets should have supplanted much of Absolutely Live, not augmented the entire album), Absolutely Live wouldn't have gone to the cutout grave in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  16. zeronalo

zeronalo Senior Member

I think america had more to do with rock music than anyone. Jerry Lee Lewis maybe one of the pioneers. As far as a supergroup - who cares but you can't much more super than the Doors. They have 24/7 security at Jim Morrisons grave for christ sakes. Even John lennon doesn't get that much attention after he checked out

alohas

17. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

When was the last time anyone heard of 24/7 security over a scattering of ashes? Which is what was done with Lennon's body, in a portion of Central Park. Of course, you could argue that since Central Park is under 24/7 surveillance from the New York Police Department, Lennon's ashes, assuming any yet remain on the grounds, probably get bigger and better security than even Jim Morrison's grave . . .

18. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Motown is brilliant and the Funk Brothers played on more no.1 songs than the Beatles and Stones combined

2 people like this.
  19. crawlingkingsnake

Sorry for the mis-understanding on all this. Pertaining to Their Satanic Majesties Request, I was just trying to get a better understanding of any kind of comparison. Which you clarified for me, Thank You.

(For a short lived band of 6 years, with 6 albums or 8 if you include american prayer, and their live album..They have sold over 75 miilion records, and still to this day they are selling more than 1 million each year. To me thats pretty good for an iconic band of the 60's, and of the legendary bands of all time.....) All this retarded mumbling that I did wasnt directed too you. I had just remembered at that point in time there were just a few people that were knocking The Doors for being a short lived band. To me it seemed that they weren't giving The Doors any credit as being a legendary rock band. To me they are on top of the list.
    And Thanks again for your additional information, experience, and thought about The Doors. Hoping to hear personal experiences with The Doors is one of the main reasons why I joined MLP. I never got the chance to go to their concerts. Buy the records as they were released. etc etc So being able to hear input from someone that has is greatly appreciated and valued. Thanks again...

20. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

No harm, no foul. Glad to clarify!

Makes you wonder how a lot of those people could continue holding Cream (whom I also still love) in high esteem---after all, they barely lasted two and a half years and their legend hasn't abated in the slightest.

If you don't see that syndrome, you often see Jim Morrison given high credence with the remaining Doors an afterthought. Which is unfair to both Morrison as an individual talent and the Doors as musicians, even if one really couldn't exist at full power without the other. The Doors needed Morrison's lyric sensibilities to make their music work as it did, and Morrison needed the Doors' music---all three of them---to make his sensibilities and his best sides work.

Any time! But when you start plumbing through all those posthumous concert sets, discretion is probably in order, especially the 1969-71 period, with all the tumult around Morrison. The aforesaid Felt Forum box is probably the best of the lot behind Live at the Matrix '67, but from what I have heard of the other sets you can't really go bad with Live in Pittsburgh 1970, and Live in Detroit (Cobo Hall, 1970), probably the best recorded performances of the Doors in concert in 1970.

1 person likes this.