why are 1958 bursts worth so much less than 1959's?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by pepedede, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

Here's a nice pair of '58s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

Good for you, keep at it

3. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

None of my bidness really...but you thanked him for bowing out of the thread, then baited him back in in the same post. The topic was pretty much settled already. I thought. :)

It's not logical. :hmm:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

Wow. The second one is a really unusual color, especially for a '58. The first one is very typical of the '58 cherry.

2 people like this.
  5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 1, that 2nd one is awesome Bill. 1st one is cool too.

:wow: :wow: :wow::thumb: :applause:

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  6. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Hi, Rudi
    Did you ever figure out if the Sydney Lawsuit guitar since we last talked about it?

8. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

They aren't.

9. Lousyatit

Lousyatit Senior Member

What, your superiority complex spring a leak?

I'm not responsible for his actions. As far as this thread is concerned, logic doesn't apply.

2 people like this.
  10. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Why is it every thread that goes past ten pages in the vintage section these days has less information and fewer vintage enthusiasts than I seem to remember from days of old...

You are all beautiful and unique snow flakes, you are free to exist for another day, no justification needed:)

3 people like this.
  11. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Wow. 'Scuse us fer livin'. :shock:

Did you ever think that perhaps the subject isn't able to hold anyone's interest for more than ten pages?:laugh2:

Could be that you're outnumbered tens of thousands to one. Mebbe? Veeery few musicians can afford to even think about them. You know. The riff raff.:cool:

This is the reaction I witness whenever I post in the 'vintage' <cough> section. Is there somebody I should get written permission from first?:hmm:

1 person likes this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Hi Werner, the last I heard is that this Burst has been returned to its original owner (the person that gave it to JRG to sell) in Adelaide. Not sure if this is correct though. I still have not been able to get the Serial No. but will keep trying.

Cheers, Rudi

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks Bill. :thumb:

Love the color & the mismatched Maple Top. :wow: :)

Have you by any chance played this one? I'd love to know more about it. :)

Cheers, Rudi

14. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I always thought so anyway but based on your post I'm sure it's the guitar in this pic.
    The backstory matches 100%. I remember that guitar well, a very nice Burst with documented provenance back to 1969. AND it still was for sale as of 2/13 (when this ad was in Vintage Guitar magazine). If you wonder about the price......it is a '59 after all, time to raid the piggybank:)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. JJ Blair

JJ Blair Senior Member

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all a part of the same compost pile."

BTW, most of the vintage enthusiasts who either actually own bursts or have owned them at one time seem to have gone elsewhere, for one reason or another. Frequently, when it comes to matters Burst, this place resembles a battle between the uneducated and the misinformed.

I'd rather quietly learn something than loudly profess my ignorance, but I'm kinda silly that way.

5 people like this.
  16. tag2

tag2 Senior Member

The subject of threads about vintage guitars in the vintage section will hold interest to those that come here to read about vintage guitars.

Mebbe musicians that cannot currently afford a vintage guitar are still interested in them. If you are not, go away. Mebbe all Burst owners were at this point (broke) sometime in their lives.

Have you considered why YOU get the same reaction whenever you post in the 'vintage' <sneeze> section? Permission isn't needed to post here and you fully have the right to be an asshole, but this forum would be better served if you take your babbling passive aggressive bullshit down to the backstage where the riff-raff resides.

3 people like this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

To be fair JJ, I don't think MLPF had an extensively visited Vintage Section. True Charlie, Richard, Michael & Tom were here but most of the other guys were always on LPF, certainly since I have been a member. Mike joined after getting the $hits with LPF...........then came here & we got that Andreja Thread happening (which was cool IMHO)..........then he got the $hits with MLPF............& then went back to LPF.

Fortunately Bill is still around.............someone I have a lot of time for because he stays cool, no matter what is going on. :thumb:

IMHO, we are probably too flippant here some of the time but at least there is some generally good discussion about many things & many topics............Vintage & not.

On LPF they just don't seem to actually say that much, not that that is a bad thing. It is just different.

I can see good & bad points on both Forums but FWIW too many people take too much of this stuff too seriously. It is a just a Forum & we should be laid back about this stuff.

:hmm:...............sorry just really "punching in""............with my thoughts. :D :)

Cheers, Rudi

P.S. A Thread on Microphones would be very much appreciated. I generally know zip about these & do plan to record some stuff so the information learned would be cool IMHO.

2 people like this.
  18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

2 people like this.
  19. tag2

tag2 Senior Member

Yeah, I was just repurposing his words. It came out sideways. :wave:

I agree. The backstage has a purpose, as do all of the other sections that Alex so brilliantly created. The brilliance is in the design. Somebody coming into a section named Vintage Les Pauls, can actually read about vintage Les Pauls. But, they open a thread about '58 and '59 Bursts only to find pages upon pages of completely unrelated babble. THAT is not logical.

See? I just repurposed again! :)

5 people like this.
  20. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Show me where I've been an asshole. I've contributed to this thread in a very civil manner. I didn't introduce the 'derail'...in fact I only posted to balance two seemingly intractable positions. Which in my opinion were both ridiculous. I didn't agree with practically anything that sparked the 'debate' in the first place.

So if you haven't read any of my previous posts you're simply talking out your..well..you know. I simply commented that I thought it was inappropriate to take a shot at someone after they had 'left the room'. But perhaps you think that's civil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.