why 5 PU wires on molex connector 2012 std

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by HIghAndDry, Jul 22, 2012.

1. eldorado

eldorado Junior Member

Thanks. That's what I suspected, but just wanted to be sure before I went finicking around wiring things up...

2. ravman007

ravman007 Junior Member

I know i'm probably really late to this conversation, but I found pre-crimped wires. No need to mess about trying to do everything yourself. You just slot the wires into the plastic connector and you're done:

Details here:

Manufacture Part#: 51021-0500
    Manufacture Part#: 50079-8100

Pre-Crimped: Manufacture Part#: 06-66-0013

3. bonerhed

bonerhed Junior Member

Hi guys,

I'm installing Bareknuckles on my Traditional Floyd Rose and got all the parts but have failed miserable. I got no sound from my Bridge pickup but I'm sure that has to do with the insert connections. And on the neck pickup I got the push/push function reversed. When you push and the switch is out (up), the HB should be split but mine is in fliped. In is split and out is full humbucker. Do guys have any idea of which wires should I move to fix this issue?

Thanks in Advance.
    Alex

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

There ought to be a 'sticky' on the new Gibson connectors with the correct information.

5. sliberty

sliberty Member

It looks like these same connectors are used by Epiphone, although they do it a bit differently. First, there is no large PCB - instead there is a small PCB on each volume pot (push pull). Secondly, it looks like they sequence the wires differently.

What I want to do is replace the stock pots with discrete pots/caps and to do so, I either need to cut off the molex plugs from the Epiphone pickups, or I need a non-PCB MALE mate to the pickup plugs.

Have any of you found such a mating plug?

6. jeffy

jeffy Senior Member

I believe this is what you're asking for?

Molex Connector Part Number - 51047-0500

Molex Connector Part Number - 50125-8000

Mouser has them...

51047-0500 Molex | Mouser

50125-8000 Molex | Mouser

7. sliberty

sliberty Member

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated. I will order some of these right away, and report back in a week or so (after they arrive) how it worked out. Thanks so much!

8. lorenzo

lorenzo Senior Member

Thanks for the valuable infos, jeffy!!
    Could you guys help me to identify/buy the toggle switch's molex?? I'm planning to make a Jimmy Page vintage wiring but with some "quick connections" for pickups and toggle (to make them easily replaceable).
    Thanks!

9. sliberty

sliberty Member

I got my order form Mouser, and what I received is not right. These things are practically microscopic. Its possible I order incorrectly, but I had to leave for business just as I opened up the package. So, when I return, I will check whether I got what I order and report back. I'll also show some photos of what my Epi stuff looks like next to the stuff I received from Mouser.

10. jeffy

jeffy Senior Member

They are Molex Fit 3.0. A 1x5 for the switch and a 1x2 for the jack.

43645-0500 Molex | Mouser
    43645-0200 Molex | Mouser

Sorry to hear that. It's always a crap shoot when trying to figure things like this out for the first time. I did some research on the Epi and it looks like they are in fact different.

[​IMG]

Loks like someone bought a bunch of Picoblades thinking they would work in an Epi as far back as 2012.
    [​IMG]

They look like Pico-Spox, but it's hard to tell without better pics. The SPOX are the next size up from the Pico Blade. 1.50mm vs 1.25mm. Funny thing is I haven't seen anyone say what they connectors are. I guess most people just cut them off.

11. Pit

Pit Junior Member

Hi everybody!

Thanks for the Thread..

Jeffy, i have a Gibson les paul standard 2013 and i m gonna drop a set or Bare knuckle Rebel yell in...can t wait...

I heard about the the reverse polarity of the bb pro bridge..can You just Confirm me in what order i have to wire my bridge Rebel yell (regular polarity)
    Is it possible to use the stock connectors? Have some problems finding the molex stuff around here..

12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Interesting,..i have a brother that works for Molex. Been there like 20 some years. Personally, that just don't look like guitar guts to me in any way i am use to.

13. jeffy

jeffy Senior Member

If the magnet isn't reversed you can copy the neck pickup wiring. You can cut the stock wiring but remember, your stock pickups are going to be too short if you ever want to put them back in.

There was also a pigtail available. That's a crimped connector with short leads. Someone mentioned it in the thread much later.

In any case it's;

Bridge - RD,BK,WH,GN, Ground
    Neck - WH,GN,RD,BK, Ground

14. Pit

Pit Junior Member

Thanks for your help Jeffy.

15. SunDog

SunDog Member

Reverse Quick-Connect adapters:

For anyone who may be interested I have made a few pairs of "reverse" quick-connect 4-conductor (5-wire) adapters. These work with Gibson quick-connect pickups, like the '57 Classics I have, and can be used to connect your quick-connect pickups to a conventional harness without having to clip off the ends of your quick-connect pups. Just connect your quick-connect plug into the adapter, and solder the adapter wires as you would normally (standard wiring, coil-tap, phase, series/parallel, etc).

I have them on ebay right now, but if you see this post loooong after the listing ends and are interested in a pair, just send me a message thru the forum. I can even make you a custom color-coded set to match your DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, or other pickup manufacturer.

Thx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thx,
    SunDog

16. sliberty

sliberty Member

Will these fit an Epiphone?

17. SunDog

SunDog Member

Sorry for the late reply. It has been a busy summer...

Sure, they convert your 4-conductor quick-connect pickup to a 4-conductor pickup with plain wires and you can solder to just about any wiring harness where you would normally use a 4-conductor (with wires) pickup. The ones pictured are color coded for typical gibson 4-conductor pickups, but I can make them color coded for seymour duncans, DiMarzio, etc.

SunDog

18. jeffy

jeffy Senior Member

Epiphone connectors are not the same as the ones Gibson uses...

19. SunDog

SunDog Member

I am now making 3 types of adapters:

Forward adapters:
    - 4-conductor conventional to 4-conductor quick connect (solderless):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- 2-conductor conventional to 2-conductor quick connect (solderless):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reverse adapter:
    - 4-conductor quick connect (solderless) to 4-conductor conventional

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. SunDog

SunDog Member

Yes, so long as the connectors are the same, these adapters should work, or can be wired to work. I am making 2-conductor and 4-conductor adapters now, going both directions (conventional to solderless, or solderless to conventional).

See my last post with pics.

SunDog