Who wants a modeling amp sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rocco Crocco, Dec 7, 2015.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Its an interesting configuration. I mean the preamp being DSP driven really sets the character of the amp. It does so because in order for you to get power tube distortion you have to play that amp at stupid high volumes. Otherwise there is no difference between tube and transistor..

The other hybrid configuration having the preamp as tube driven and the power section being solid state would seem to me to be a better more tube like tone cause the distortion is being produced by the preamp tubes at a much lower volume. The Johnson series were like this. Just a thought and if I'm not mistaken the point KenG was making.

2. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

It is only 15 watts so I can get power tube distortion without it getting way too loud and it has an inefficient speaker so that helps with the volume too.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tsquared

Tsquared Trunk Monkey

Yup. Well said on all counts.

2 people like this.
  4. frankv

No doubt it sounds stella.. 15 watts dimed is very nice. I use to do that with my Marshall Studio 15s..

5. Stage Fright

Stage Fright Banned

What happens when you run a digital floor modeler like an HD500 through a modeling amp? Does the world then come to an end? Or is it the old saying "if one is good, two are better?"

2 people like this.
  6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

What do you think the DSP is doing? It should be doing all your amp sims, any effects, possibly the tone control and the distortion etc.

Look at it this way if you used say a HD500 or AXE FX and decided to run it into a tube power amp before connecting it to speakers, would that make it a "tube amp" or would most still consider it a modelling setup?

My appologies, it sounds like you're sensitive about your amp being a tube amp, you are entitled to your opinion, I simply stated mine not realizing it was going to offend you.

IMO (& it's only my opinion) a tube amp gets its sounds from tubes and tubes alone, while Digital Signal Processing manipulates the digital data converted from analog signals in software to create and play with the data and create new sound chracteristics. Colouring it before or after the sampling process with tubes doesn't change the fact that the signal was digital in the signal path. I personally think it's a sales concession to get people who are tube lovers to br able to at least try some of these designs.

After 35 years of playing tube amps, I have 4 modellers (POD HD500, VOX VT30, and 2 Blackstar, one of them a non-traditional type the Blackstar ID60 TVP, which while it doesn't model amplifiers, it models tube amp characteristics but in the end.

1 person likes this.
  7. frankv

It becomes a tube amp.... :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  8. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. DavidRamey

DavidRamey Senior Member

I am the one who must apologize. I came off sounding like an ass hole. It was not my intent to be argumentative and for that I am sorry. I need to quit posting late at night when I should be in bed.

3 people like this.
  10. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I am going to PM Alex this request now. It seems like a lot of people are on board. We'll see how it goes. It would probably take very little time for the MLP IT person to set it up.

2 people like this.
  11. frankv

I like this... :thumb:

12. frankv

Yeah Like 2 and a half minutes:laugh2:

It goes like this. From the admin panel. Right click on Squawk Box room. Choose ADD ROOM.. Name it.. Done..

13. Stage Fright

Stage Fright Banned

Uh-oh, weapons of mass distortion!

1 person likes this.
  14. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Hey we can all get a little touchy at times:) There's no hard feelings on my part either:thumb:

3 people like this.
  15. IronWeso

IronWeso Senior Member

Nope rarer I believe. But not close to the same price range. Way cheaper :thumb:

Problem is I think the people who have them know what they have. It's JUST a modded Marshall. But there is some sorta magic in this specific one. :dude:

But since it will (probably) never happen, I'll just save for an Axe and hope by that time y'all have dialed up me some nice presets. Maiden (Somewhere in Time + Powerslave + Brave New World), Aldrich, Skynyrd... I'll have a list for you :lol:

1 person likes this.
  16. frankv

That kind of stuff I get from Stein or Mikey.. :naughty:

17. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I tried once getting a subforum but there wasn't enough interest from the mlp community to make it happen.

I would suggest starting a thread on it with a poll. Maybe put it in the backstage so it gets more traffic. If you can show Alex that there's enough interest in this he'll probably make it happen.

When I tried he really wanted to see numbers.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  18. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I really don't know, just spitballing but it's probably not the time to set it up that's the issue. It may require more bandwidth?, memory?, whatever strains it is to run a forum which could cost more to operate MLP, or at least slow it down. Also with a new subforum it would probably be more of a strain on the mods. This place is pretty big and their plates are pretty full as it is, it's just more turf to have to monitor.

Again, just guessing, but I have to imagine it's more than just setting it up.

19. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Senior Member

I myself was so close to posting a rant about grammar based on a post from page 2 of this thread.... something about "wining" people actually being you giving them glasses of different wines to drink, winning being like Charlie Sheen, and whining being a bunch of people on this thread...

But I like the drama and tube-butthurt going on in this thread more.

Is there a Popcorn-munching emote face?

No, but I Googled this:

[​IMG]

20. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

I would like to have a modeler sub forum, but I'll make due with this thread.

It sounds and even kind of feels like a real sub forum, but this thread is much easier to store and sounds 99% right. It even FEELS right. Things have come a long way.....

3 people like this.