Who uses an amplifier stand?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by acstorfer, Jul 23, 2011.

1. joshatatlasstands

joshatatlasstands MLP Vendor

hey Captain, you live in San Fran? just looking at the avatar you use. If so do you know Tonic Amps? They are about 15 miles south of the Airport I think. Check 'em out if you are ever there!

Tonic Amps

2. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

And dramatic. So dramatic. I wish there was an "Opera", or more appropriately, a "Mrs Slocombe" font.

The last word is all yours my apoplectic friend.

3. joshatatlasstands

Do they use amp stands at operas? If so, who do I call?:hmm:

4. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Nah, I'm about 3 hours from Frisco.

Close enough to make a couple of Giants games, but that's about it :laugh2: Too bad they aren't playing better right now. Damned D-backs are gonna be tough to catch now.

5. 4nd3h

4nd3h Senior Member

Errbody mad.

Oops, sorry, posted that when I was on page 4 or so.

6. joshatatlasstands

The LA amp show will be in a few weeks, it would be a good drive maybe. I should have a stand or two in it somewhere.

:dude:

7. captain tightpants

Just about 8 hours from me by car. About an hour and a half from my Dad's place in River-ssippi :laugh2:

I'd love to go, but it's not in the cards for me.

8. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Neat idea but one concern I'd have about that setup, and it might be an unfounded concern, is learning the guitar so near the speaker. Is it possible that the speaker's magnet could have an effect on the pickups?

9. joshatatlasstands

Good question, my research and personal experience doesn't support pup degaussing at the distance shown here. I have leaned my guitar against my amps for decades, the same guitars, with the same pickups, and they all still work like new. I also know several musicians who purposely place their vintage guitars on guitar stands directly in front of their home stereo speakers when the guitars are not in use because they believe the increased resonances of the guitar being induced by the closer proximity to the speakers when turned on are like playing the guitar constantly for hours on end, which consequently they believe breaks in the instrument better over the years and helps it to sound better over time. I see this especially with hollow body and semi hollow body electrics, as well as acoustics. This being the case I would not worry about it myself and I've never experience an issue putting my guitars in front of my amps, even against my amps.

here are some links to the subject:

Do magnets harm guitar pickups?

Lollar Pickups Blog ยป old guitar pickup magnets

10. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Josh

Everytime I turn around, you come out with something cool as hell!

You are the Q of the guitar stand world!

11. joshatatlasstands

Hi Adam, I firmly believe that when you love what you do, when you are authentically interested in its outcome, in its contribution to society and culture, and are willing to go the extra mile to make it happen, then anything is possible. This is my dream, to build... and I quote "The best Amp stand in the World. "

Here's a picture of my card to prove my point in my intentions here:

[​IMG]

I absolutely don't build amp stands to exploit others like the large corps do, I believe in an honest days work for an honest days reward to feed the kids and pay for gas and materials to work with. I don't plan on retirement because I love what I do in this world. I do it because I want to contribute and make life better for others. That is my mission in life and death.

Thank you so much for your support in my quest Adam, and all of you who support my efforts, words cannot convey how much wind it keeps in my sails during these tough times. I am blessed.

I hope you amp stand is working well, would love to see the new HRDR on it:)

Sincerely,
    Josh

12. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

Yeah...clever idea on the combination amp/guitar stand. Now, it getting to look like fine furniture...very nice looking wood. I'll be reluctant to bring it to gigs; less it gets dinged...

Guys with the bucks might want it AAA bookmatch...:lol::applause:

13. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Nostatic

Please feel free to trashtalk me all you want. Feel free to try to amuse yourself by quoting me out of context as well. Even if you are quoting me from a month ago. As long as you lay off Josh's excellent work, we're good!

ext1jdh likes this.
  14. joshatatlasstands

I love dings, ding the hell out of 'em, use what you got before it's too late. Live one good time.

acstorfer likes this.
  15. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

16. joshatatlasstands

wish I could do a sunburst amp stand...or a mood stand, like a mood ring, that changes with the temp:)

17. joshatatlasstands

Very nice, friend. I bet it took a week to get the grin to go away:) not that it needed too...

18. captain tightpants

The more I see of these, the more I want one. Particularly the one with the guitar stand. Love it!!

19. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

Well lets give Josh a free bump.

Context. After all the heat had gone out of this thread, you made an inane and unprovoked attack on two posters. One of which may have been me- and that’s fine- I’ve got broad shoulders, but the other poster you attacked over his economic circumstances. Here is what you said in all its nasty completeness:

“He claims these amp stands cost as much as his guitars. Wow, he must have some ridiculous cheap-ass guitars then! I mean there is a certain price point where a guitar would have to cost to make it reliable enough to gig with, even as a backup. I'd love to know if this person ever at least got a quote as to what these stands cost before claiming they are too expensive? Or before making absurd statements about their obviously cheap crap guitars. Maybe he won his backup playing a boardwalk game? I've seen people win guitars at Six Flags, maybe he has one of those?”

To gig with? Backup? Are you a rockstar? Of course to some, a pancake multipiece clown burst with a mini and a wang is a guitar that they wouldn’t be seen dead with and one whose only possible use would be as an axle stand. Everything is relative, don’t you think?

Quoting you from a month ago, this mitigates your arse-hattery? There must be some sort of statute of limitations that says after n days, you are absolved from taking responsibility for the things you say.

Your affected indignation is exceeded only by your disingenuousness and hypocrisy. Your meaning was quite clear, as was your context. You set out to get a reaction, and you got one. You, Captain Pugwash and Master Bates should just heave to the good ship Onanism and sail off into the sunset.

Nostatic, end of transmission.

20. joshatatlasstands

Please, nobody reply to the above post. It's a waste.